Cardboard Cathedral for Christchurch.

From ABC News this morning:

New Zealand's Anglican church will build a temporary cathedral made of cardboard in earthquake-devastated Christchurch as it works towards a permanent replacement for its 131-year old landmark destroyed last year....... Thousands of tremors, some with magnitudes of up to 6, have delayed any concerted rebuilding.

Full story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-17/cardboard-cathedral-to-be-built-in-christchurch/3954148

Bit of a waste of money. Surely it would be better spent compensating some of the victims.

Presmedly it's financed by church funds so they can do what they like with their own money. Not relevant to this cruise site. Sorry.

Presmedly it's financed by church funds so they can do what they like with their own money. Not relevant to this cruise site. Sorry.

We have had quite a few discussions on this forum (possibly you have not read them) re the earthquake damage in NZ, and how it affects cruise passengers and our cruising friends in NZ.

I am extremely disappointed that, on three cruises to NZ, I have never been to Christchurch - all three visited beautiful Akaroa. I have been told, many times, how beautiful Christchurch was, and that the cathedral was especially interesting, and I am hopeful I may see it one day.

In that context, as a port of call, this thread IS relevant! We have lost our "informal" forum, so there is nowhere else I CAN post it.

Ok, sorry to upset you Sandy. Don't want to get offside with you, you've been very helpful to me in your previose posts.

Dave

I'm not upset, Dave. :) I guess I could have explained more why I posted it. I think it is a female thing. My DH finds it difficult, at times, to understand my reasoning. :rolleyes:

Bit of a waste of money. Surely it would be better spent compensating some of the victims.

the money would have beenbetter spent on the people then a building

BTW, both P&O and Princess are running ship's tour buses from Akaroa to Christchurch and there is a local bus at Akaroa which will take you there also.

I've no wish to see a city in ruins :( (unless it's the age of Pompeii and the like) and as Akaroa is also in the Canterbury area, what we spend there also helps towards rebuilding Christchurch. :)

Well at least Sandy does actually go on a cruise !! she doesn't virtually cruise, otherwise she could of virtually gone to Christchurch

LOL Cheryl. :D I sure do and enjoy every minute of them. Besides, I can still look at photos of it as it was. There are many, many places in the world I would like to see and never will, but I'm darned sure I'm not going to waste time worrying about it. There is always another place to see. :)

I think I've mastered my arithmetic as quoted below!

the money would have beenbetter spent on the people then a building

As a kiwi who lived in chch for some time, I know that the cathedral was an important part of what made up the city's sense of identity. I have said often since the quakes that it doesnt matter whether the city is considered rebuilt, if the cathedral is not a part of it, its not finished. On that basis, coming up with a way of giving people part of that sense of self back is not a waste of money. Sometimes, a building is more than a building.

For those cruisers who never made it to CHCH before the quakes, you missed out on seeing a beautiful city, and I truely hope, that one day, you will get to see it in all its glory.

As a kiwi who lived in chch for some time, I know that the cathedral was an important part of what made up the city's sense of identity. I have said often since the quakes that it doesnt matter whether the city is considered rebuilt, if the cathedral is not a part of it, its not finished. On that basis, coming up with a way of giving people part of that sense of self back is not a waste of money. Sometimes, a building is more than a building.

For those cruisers who never made it to CHCH before the quakes, you missed out on seeing a beautiful city, and I truely hope, that one day, you will get to see it in all its glory.

Hear, hear Stanza. :)

Remember being there in 1994 on a cruise when the trams were about to be brought back into service. You could watch them driving around learning there job, but not having passengers. I also remember going into the cathedral with some other people from the cruise and that they declined to leave a Donation as we left. Miserable buggers.

Archived