The Agony and the Ecstasy

Victress2007

What a great movie! We watched last night and it was perfect to get us in the mood for our upcoming Rome- Cruise - Venice trip. We've also watched Angels and Demons, and the latest James Bond. Next up is the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Anyone have any more suggestions of favorite movies? We're saving Gladiator for the plane flight over.

As to books, I'm working my way through Donna Leon's series set in Venice.

Vic

Movie ideas: Roman Holiday, Only You (Rome, Venice, Positano)

Miniseries: Rome (HBO; not for the faint of heart)

Fiction: Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series (really long but great); "In the Company of the Courtesan by Dunant (Venice);

Nonfiction History: Anthony Everitt has written biographies of Augustus, Cicero, and Hadrian -- all of which are very readable.

A great book that I don't think I've seen recommended here is "The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi" about a Jewish woman in Renaissance Italy -- great story.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Book-Grazia-Rossi/dp/0684848406/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334626105&sr=1-1

For those who like detective stories, the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor is also pretty interesting....the series is set in ancient Rome and revolve around a character called Gideon the Finder who tracks down evidence for lawyers (and solves crimes/mysteries in the process).

For those who like detective stories, the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor is also pretty interesting....the series is set in ancient Rome and revolve around a character called Gideon the Finder who tracks down evidence for lawyers (and solves crimes/mysteries in the process).

After I posted this, it didn't look right, so I went back and checked -- the main character's name is Gordianus, not Gideon. :D (It's been a while....)

I would also recommend trying to read "The Agony and the Ecstasy" which tells the full life story of Michelangelo. It's great as you are going to Florence and will give some background on the city, the Medici, the high point of the Renaissance and the Bonfire of the Vanities.

Not sure if it is available in the US ( perhaps on Netflix) but there was a great docudrama set in Pompei, which was done by the BBC a few years back - called Pompei: The Last Day. That got me really excited to go and see the ruins.

Great suggestions! I recently started using my online library, so I've got several of these on my waiting list now.

Any suggestions for Provincial France? Or Barcelona?

Vic

Peter Mayle's books on Provence are good reading (there are several books, most are collections of stories/anecdotes about a Brit retiring to Provence, fixing up an older house, getting to know the locals, customs, etc.)

A fun movie to watch for Barcelona is "Gaudi Afternoon" -- a little twisted but it does feature some Gaudi architecture prominently.

Not sure if it is available in the US ( perhaps on Netflix) but there was a great docudrama set in Pompei, which was done by the BBC a few years back - called Pompei: The Last Day. That got me really excited to go and see the ruins.

It's avaible in the US; I've seen it. Also just got the chance to visit one of the houses in Pompeii prominently featured in this show.

Peter Mayle's books on Provence are good reading (there are several books, most are collections of stories/anecdotes about a Brit retiring to Provence, fixing up an older house, getting to know the locals, customs, etc.)

A fun movie to watch for Barcelona is "Gaudi Afternoon" -- a little twisted but it does feature some Gaudi architecture prominently.

It's avaible in the US; I've seen it. Also just got the chance to visit one of the houses in Pompeii prominently featured in this show.

Yes I did look out for the fuller's house and Polybius' house but both where shut the day I was there. Perhaps I'll have more luck next month. i'm also re reading Pompei (prob for the 4th time)at the mo too.

Also lucky because, starting this week the BBC have a new documentary with Mary Beard called "Meet the Romans" which looks at the day to day life of Romans. Should be good.

Yes I did look out for the fuller's house and Polybius' house but both where shut the day I was there. Perhaps I'll have more luck next month. i'm also re reading Pompei (prob for the 4th time)at the mo too.

Also lucky because, starting this week the BBC have a new documentary with Mary Beard called "Meet the Romans" which looks at the day to day life of Romans. Should be good.

The House/Fullery of Stephanus was open both days I was in Pompeii recently; we didn't go in because of having seen it previously.

The House of Julius Polybius is only open on weekends by reservation. If you are there on a Saturday or Sunday, you can reserve a spot for their tour (only one per day, usually at noon) at the main ticket office when purchasing your entrance ticket. (There is an extra charge.) Otherwise, you are out of luck.

I really enjoy Mary Beard; I've read a couple of her books on Pompeii. I suppose we'll eventually get to see that documentary here....

You wouldn't know it from the title, but, "The Talented Mr. Ripley" has some great Italian flavour to it---great movie (with great actors--Jude Law, Leonardo di Caprio, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, Philip Seymour Hoffman). Great scenes of Ischia and Procida (Bay of Naples), Naples, Rome, Venice, San Remo.

For Greece (Islands), a very dumb, dated movie (with some nudity), but absolutely fabulous scenery is "Summer Lovers"(1982), with Darryl Hannah and Peter Gallagher. It, ostensibly, takes place on Santorini (great shots of Fira, Akrotiri, and Oia--you can see the cave villa where they lived in Oia--it's now a gift shop), but, apparently, it was shot on several of the Greek islands. The scenery is gorgeous, if you can put up with a silly movie.

And, of course, (I know it's been mentioned), the classic Italian movie is "Roman Holiday".

"Three Coins in the Fountain" is another movie which shows an older, much simpler Italy (i.e. I love the scene where they just drive up and park right next to the Trevi Fountain--today you couldn't do that without killing or maiming thousands of tourists/pedestrians!).

I read a fictionalized account of Pompei a few years ago. Although we won't be going there this time (we've been before) maybe I'll dig through my stacks and try to find it.

I've seen most of the old classics - and watched a few of them again, there aren't many that are as good as Agony & Ecstasy for having a great story and showing the historical figures so well. I also watched the first season of the Borgias. We've watched as many of the travel videos as we can find on Netflix (more to keep me going until we can actually TRAVEL again). We've been to Italy a couple times before and I love it!

Vic

Archived