When in port, do you try a local restaurant or eat on ship for lunch?

edmusic

You mean the guy with no running water to wash his hands prior to preparing food? Yes, I probably could.

Who are you trying to blame? The well-trained ship crew who has everything to lose when a ship goes code red?

igraf

Really, you could trace it back to a street food vendor? :rolleyes:

As for McDonald's, I make it a point to find the nearest one wherever I travel. Not to eat, but because they always have clean, free, restrooms. I figure I paid for my use of them with all the times over the years I bought food at Micky D's and DIDN'T use the bathroom!

Coming from a person whose job it was to keep those bathrooms clean (in a high traffic tourist areas), I beg you not to do this. Buy something, even if it's just a pack of cookies or fries. In fact, many McDonald's are now requiring purchases to use the facilities. And I am all for it.

I've eaten in many places, including street food and salad in Egypt (not that I'd recommend it without a trusted guide), with no ill effects. On the other hand, I've gotten food poisoning from two very good restaurants in my hometown (one Chinese, and one from the salad bar) where I'd eaten many times in the past. How do I know? Other people also reported getting sick.

We often get a conch salad when in Key West.

We always get a flying fish sandwich when in Barbados.

Other ports, we at least try the local brew with maybe an appetizer to split between us.

Knowing about the "dangers" of eating in port, we're pretty okay with that.

We've seen SO many other pax on our ships walk right from the restroom stall past the sink, to the door, without even rinsing off their hands.:eek:

Yup, I get what you're talking about, bepsf.:cool:

Depends on the port. The majority of the time we are too busy seeing the sights, skip lunch and eat when we get back to the ship. Occasionally we will eat in port but usually wait. No Juneau I wouldnt miss eating at Tracy's Crab Shack!

When you're in St Thomas with 18,000 other day visitors from 6 or 8 ships you're bound to be touching a lot of things that they have touched - primarily hand railings and door knobs - no matter how hard you consciously try not to. In restaurants you're likely to use salt, pepper, or condiment containers that they have touched. Or menus. All you can do is remember to wash your hands as often as possible and use Purell for at least 20 seconds before you pick up that sandwich or any finger-food. ;)

You mean the guy with no running water to wash his hands prior to preparing food? Yes, I probably could.

Who are you trying to blame? The well-trained ship crew who has everything to lose when a ship goes code red?

igraf

Who started blaming certain people...? :rolleyes: :confused:

You don't get noro from the food. You get it from someone else that already has it. It's a viral infection.. not food-borne.

So, if someone that handled food (ship or onshore food preparer even a passenger) has noro you can only get it from them, not from the food they handled? :eek: :confused:

From the CDC website:

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by

• eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

• touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or

• having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

Norovirus can spread quickly in closed places like daycare centers, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships. Most norovirus outbreaks happen from November to April in the United States.

(My emphasis added)

When you seasoned cruisers are in port, do you go back or stay on the ship for lunch or do you like to sample the local flavor of the restaurants in that port?

Even though I'd like to sample local cuisine, my husband figures he's paid for a cruise that includes food,

so why pay for lunch in port.

That used to be his attitude about specialty restaurants too, why pay for food when food in MDR was included.

But I finally convinced him to give the difference a try. He really liked it, so I'm hoping I can eventually convince him to

try local food in port as well.

You don't get noro from the food. You get it from someone else that already has it. It's a viral infection.. not food-borne.

--------------

Sorry, it IS foodborne. CDC statistics show that food is the most common vehicle of transmission for noroviruses.

Wouldn't wanna miss an opportunity to grab a Broodje Kroket in Kralendijk, Bonaire and/or a Sate dinner on Willemstad, Curacao;)

Tell me more about the ABC's and where to eat. We will be there in November. I am also looking for that wonderful Dutch cheese, any info on a local grocery. Thanks

We either book a tour that includes lunch(this way we can try the native food) Otherwise we either eat a big breakfast and skip lunch altogether,or run back to the ship and grab a quick bite to eat .Then we grab a snack on the run which we usually share like a reindeer susage in Anchorage to Lobster Rolls and Blueberry Ale in Canada/ New England.

Archived