Trip Ins Question-Need your Opinions, please.

TravelRocker

Hi there, I was over in the "Dept." here for Trip Insurance but did not see what I was looking for so I thought I would try here because it regarded a recently cancelled MSC cruise and I feel like I got to know a lot of you on this forum in the months before I was "suppposed to sail".

I had purchased a policy with AccessAmerica. I read all the covered/not covered items and thought I had purchased the correct one for us. Unfortunately the night before we were to leave for Ft. Lauderdale I came down with the worst case of stomach flu in the world, you know what that's like! Because we were flying in 3 days before sail-day I called the airline and rescheduled the flight for the next day, (to a huge extra fee I must add!). Well, next day was no better so I tearfully cancelled the whole thing.

I went to the Doctor within the 72 hours window they give you and got a letter stating the obvious. Now here's the kicker. While getting to AccessAmerica's website I stumbled across several sites with hundreds and I mean hundreds of complaints about them. I sat here for over an hour reading all the "dirty deeds" that were done to travelers when claims were denied. I would say about 85% were denied because of "pre-existing conditions". Some of the stories were heartbreaking. Cancer coming back, Diabetic flare-ups, even problems with pregnancys where the Doctor said not to fly.

I'm crossing my fingers that they do not deny my claim. we are currently using up the airline credits, (trips to Las Vegas :)) and the hotel really worked with me so that fee was small. It's just the cruise portion that we need reimbursing.

I have 2 questions: 1) Have any of you had trouble with AccessAmerica??? and 2) if they deny our claim will MSC credit that booking cost to a new cruise? FYI-it was a "theme" cruise arranged through a Promotor, not the cruise line itself.

Thanks for any and all info you can give me. Cheers, :)

So sorry you had to cancel your trip.

Can't help you with your first question but can tell you MSC won't give you a credit for a future cruise. Least that's the way it works in the UK. If you cancel that close to the sailing date, you lose 100% of what you paid, so fingers crossed for you that your insurer meets your claim.

We had used them on our last trip and had a similar issue caused by poorly cooked foods at a restaurant that has since closed down. Sent in our information and within 2 months they sent us a refund although not 100% more like 75% but their paperwork said "upto 100%" so we were happy to get something even if it wasn't the full amount.

Have you checked on the status of your claim?

I would doubt the cruiseline will do much if you booked through a group promotor - did you attempt to contact them about the issue?

As for the bad reviews issue - I always take them with a grain of salt as you never know the full story.

Thanks for your responses. I actually went back to my MD yesterday while out and asked them to re-write the letter so it was made "crystal clear" that my illness could not in any way, shape or form be misconstrued as a "pre-existing condition".

I was really astounded at how many hundreds of complaints against this company there were on many different websites. It's scary. I'm still in the early stages of getting my claim in but want to go in "armed and ready"! Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your problems, hopefully the Insurance company will pay off.

I've started getting the "cancel for any reason" rider on the insurance for my more expensive trips, but even that has certain stipulations attached.

The promoter and MSC won't do anything, the Ship left, you were not on it and they can't really get another passenger that quick.

Good luck

Archived