Pre-Cruise Hotel and Other Questions

kcam213

Indeed there is safety in numbers, but if a 12 year old has a wave phone and stays in public areas of the ship, it should be extremely difficult for her to find trouble. Not impossible, but difficult. If the 12 year old is a poor decision maker or prone to digging up trouble, then by all means keep her attached to you at all times.

It is very common to see groups of kids walking around cruise ships together. It totally depends on your child's maturity level and how comfortable she is having some independence.

I wouldn't worry very much about it. Get on the ship, get a feel for it and go from there.

We will probably play it by ear. Maybe give her one hour intervals to check in etc. the first day. My daughter is not a poor decision maker per se...but sometimes even women make poor choices and take risk without realizing it.

adult Women in University of Mich fell victim to a sexual predator due to making poor choice. I don't expect anything to happen. But I rather be safe. I couldn't bear to be sorry.

Wow, howdy neighbor!I wish you were on our cruise. My dd is 12. we lived just outside of Ann Arbor.

I am leaning toward the Hyatt for the reasons you have described.

Oh, it would so good to have you there, for lots of obvious reasons, of course!! Let me know if you decide to cruise with us! LOL We live about 40 minutes south of Ann Arbor. About a mile away from the Toledo, OH border. We'll be representing our Wolverines with pride!! We always bring Michigan items: pool towels, magnets for the stateroom door, drink mugs, DH has a swimsuit, hats, beach balls, etc. You can't miss us!! Go Blue!!

One more vote for the Hyatt MCO in conjunction with Disney transfers.

My husband and I loved the convenience of the process. The hotel is literally inside the airport. Grab your luggage (if you checked any) and head to the registration desk. Let them know you're cruising the next morning with Disney and they'll give you some info - just a one-page memo, really.

The hotel has a few places to eat, but the airport has a food court right near the hotel, along with some restaurants (Chili's, Macaroni Grill, etc.). There's also a hotel pool. Our room had a small balcony facing into the airport. Fun people-watching.

In the morning, you put your DCL luggage tags on the luggage that you want transfered to the ship, keep your carry-ons with you. Leave your luggage just inside your hotel room door by 8:30am (I think it was 8:30) and a hotel porter will pick it up and deliver it to the luggage trucks heading to the ship.

Meanwhile, you head down to the Disney Bus desk. We went down about 30 minutes before their stated opening time and they were already checking folks in. You can have everything taken care of right there. You'll get your bus boarding pass and once your bus arrives, you'll get your ship boarding group number. Please note - everyone in your party must be present at the bus check-in counter in order to get your photo taken for your Key to the World cards.

Once we were done with check-in, we went back up to the airport food court, ate breakfast, then came back down and waited for the bus to arrive.

Once you get to Port Canaveral, you just wait in the terminal for your boarding number to be called - you don't have to do a thing there but wait because it was all done at the airport. Please note - we don't have kids, but I believe that if you want to sign your kids up for the youth programs, you'd do it at the cruise terminal. Although I think you can also do it once you board the ship. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Anyway, the whole experience was so stress-free and wonderful, that we will choose this plan if we cruise DCL out of Port Canaveral in the future.

Have fun!

Downtown Disney is VERY kid friendly. My kids LOVE the TRex restaurant. There is one in KCMO near us & one in Orlando. It's an experience.

If you're short on time and your kids love Legos, DO NOT let them near the Lego store. I have a tough time getting myself out of there much less than my kids.

If you're short on time and your kids love Legos, DO NOT let them near the Lego store. I have a tough time getting myself out of there much less than my kids.

Ditto. My 9 year old son is a Lego maniac which has brought me back to my Lego days, we will build sets that take an hour to build and its so damn therapeutic, relaxes me.

In order to do this, you need to have Disney transfers (at least the one way from MCO to the port).

You do NOT have to stay at the Hyatt MCO to get the early check in. You simply need to be at the Disney transfer desk in the airport the morning of the cruise. Thus you could stay at another hotel and simply get yourself to the airport the morning of your cruise.

HOWEVER, the Hyatt MCO is convenient because it is in the airport itself (part of the terminal) and they also have a program where they will take your luggage from your Hyatt room and you won't see it again until you board the cruise ship and get to your room. So in terms of taking the Disney transportation from MCO, the Hyatt is the most convenient hotel. But it is not the cheapest.

We do have the transfers, so staying there should be pretty convenient! Thanks for the info!

Oh, it would so good to have you there, for lots of obvious reasons, of course!! Let me know if you decide to cruise with us! LOL We live about 40 minutes south of Ann Arbor. About a mile away from the Toledo, OH border. We'll be representing our Wolverines with pride!! We always bring Michigan items: pool towels, magnets for the stateroom door, drink mugs, DH has a swimsuit, hats, beach balls, etc. You can't miss us!! Go Blue!!

Even more neighborly!

I'm originally from Toledo. Lol!

Really too bad we aren't cruising the same. :)

In order to do this, you need to have Disney transfers (at least the one way from MCO to the port).

You do NOT have to stay at the Hyatt MCO to get the early check in. You simply need to be at the Disney transfer desk in the airport the morning of the cruise. Thus you could stay at another hotel and simply get yourself to the airport the morning of your cruise.

HOWEVER, the Hyatt MCO is convenient because it is in the airport itself (part of the terminal) and they also have a program where they will take your luggage from your Hyatt room and you won't see it again until you board the cruise ship and get to your room. So in terms of taking the Disney transportation from MCO, the Hyatt is the most convenient hotel. But it is not the cheapest.

Thanks for this info. If I wanted to go to a hotel downtown I could just look for 1 with free airport shuttle and still get the early checking by getting to the transfer terminal early.

Thanks for this info. If I wanted to go to a hotel downtown I could just look for 1 with free airport shuttle and still get the early checking by getting to the transfer terminal early.

Yes, that's correct!

There are no hotels in downtown Orlando with a free airport shuttle. If you want to stay downtown and get a rental car, most of the hotels charge for parking, the Courtyard just north of the downtown core has free parking but no free breakfast.

If you meant Downtown Disney (which is no where near downtown Orlando) you could book a room at a WDW resort and get free Disney transportation to and from--you'll need to give them a fake return flight for the ride back to the airport. You could also just change your DCL transfer to be from WDW which seems like it would be a lot less hassle, even if you have to check in at the port.

Kids and/or husbands, lol. We honeymooned at Disney and I was sick our last day there. So hubby had full reign on downtown Disney. Came back with a Ferrari Lego set.

yes, this is something to consider. I am finding myself being concerned about my very naive and mature looking preteen being deceived etc by an older male.

I can't help but worry.

It is a Disney Cruise, not Carnival :D

Families prefer Disney for a reason :p

There are no hotels in downtown Orlando with a free airport shuttle. If you want to stay downtown and get a rental car, most of the hotels charge for parking, the Courtyard just north of the downtown core has free parking but no free breakfast.

If you meant Downtown Disney (which is no where near downtown Orlando) you could book a room at a WDW resort and get free Disney transportation to and from--you'll need to give them a fake return flight for the ride back to the airport. You could also just change your DCL transfer to be from WDW which seems like it would be a lot less hassle, even if you have to check in at the port.

Yes I meant downtown Disney.

I just completed my online check in time and I got 12noon. I wanted to get earlier but was delayed because I am waiting for dd passport. I thought if you have a dcl transfer that 1 perk was you board. The ship when the bus arrives. So if you get on early bus, you will get on ship faster.

My thing is I would like to eat lunch and be on deck for depart etc. My first cruise on carnival, I missed lunch and was I'm not sure where I was when we left port but I was not on deck. That is an experience I think my whole family will enjoy, the whole "Love Boat" Bon voyage depart. :D

So my question is, if I did decide to go to another hotel besides MCO hyatt, will I still be able to get the kttw card and photo, (which I understand is time consuming in the port, and if I went with WDW resort, would I still get the same perks of DCL transfer.

I am assuming that by free WDW transfer you are saying that I could cancel my booked dcl transfer and get one as a perk of staying at WDW resort.

My main goal now is not scrambling last minute to board ship and also to walk around downtown Disney and maybe do a little window shopping. The day before port day. :rolleyes:

It is a Disney Cruise, not Carnival :D

Families prefer Disney for a reason :p

Thanks for this info. I just read a thread that made me realize that for the extra. Cost, people going on dcl are most likely with kids. And the younger stud types are on the "Fun ship". :eek:

Yes I meant downtown Disney.

I just completed my online check in time and I got 12noon. I wanted to get earlier but was delayed because I am waiting for dd passport. I thought if you have a dcl transfer that 1 perk was you board. The ship when the bus arrives. So if you get on early bus, you will get on ship faster.

My thing is I would like to eat lunch and be on deck for depart etc. My first cruise on carnival, I missed lunch and was I'm not sure where I was when we left port but I was not on deck. That is an experience I think my whole family will enjoy, the whole "Love Boat" Bon voyage depart. :D

So my question is, if I did decide to go to another hotel besides MCO hyatt, will I still be able to get the kttw card and photo, (which I understand is time consuming in the port, and if I went with WDW resort, would I still get the same perks of DCL transfer.

I am assuming that by free WDW transfer you are saying that I could cancel my booked dcl transfer and get one as a perk of staying at WDW resort.

My main goal now is not scrambling last minute to board ship and also to walk around downtown Disney and maybe do a little window shopping. The day before port day. :rolleyes:

I believe you can check in at the Hyatt MCO without actually staying there BUT you have to book Disney Cruise Line Transportation from the airport to the port. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for this info. I just read a thread that made me realize that for the extra. Cost, people going on dcl are most likely with kids. And the younger stud types are on the "Fun ship". :eek:

That is exactly what I meant without apearing to be naive, like I did to"donald ducklite". Your children will be much safer on a Disney Cruise then any other cruise ship in the world.

On my last Dream cruise, I saw children (TEENS) roaming around the ship without any problems and( PRE TEENS) , running up and down the escalators, unsupervised. Still it is upto your attitude and confidence level to trust your children.

If I wanted a cheap cruise for my family I would have done 2 Carnival cruises for the price of one Disney cruise.:D

That is exactly what I meant without apearing to be naive, like I did to"donald ducklite". Your children will be much safer on a Disney Cruise then any other cruise ship in the world.

On my last Dream cruise, I saw children (TEENS) roaming around the ship without any problems and( PRE TEENS) , running up and down the escalators, unsupervised. Still it is upto your attitude and confidence level to trust your children.

If I wanted a cheap cruise for my family I would have done 2 Carnival cruises for the price of one Disney cruise.:D

Cruise lines are like small cities, and I hate to burst your bubble, but are not immune to having bad people aboard--even DCL. In fact Disney is well known as a pedophiles paradise, and yes, several have been arrested for attacking, stalking, or trying to attack children at Disney World over the past few years. If you think that just because it's got the Disney name on it it's all pixie dust, you are doing a great disservice to your children.

There is no way I'd allow my child free roam on a cruise ship until they had the capability to not be conned by an adult -with ulterior motives--and those adults are generally very slick at what they do and know how to overcome a child's objection without attracting attention. How many 12 and 13 year old girls get starry eyed when a slightly older boy shows them attention--most. And unfortunately many of them don't stop to think that a 15 year old boy can be just as dangerous as an adult male--they just don't have the maturity to process that information.

There was recently a serious problem with an 18 year old male and a younger teen female on a DCL ship that was the catalyst for 18 year olds no longer being allowed in the teen club even if they hadn't graduated high school.

Also you need to consider if your child would know how to react in the case of an emergency that required them to go immediately to muster and get to the correct muster station.

Cruise lines are like small cities, and I hate to burst your bubble, but are not immune to having bad people aboard--even DCL. In fact Disney is well known as a pedophiles paradise, and yes, several have been arrested for attacking, stalking, or trying to attack children at Disney World over the past few years. If you think that just because it's got the Disney name on it it's all pixie dust, you are doing a great disservice to your children.

There is no way I'd allow my child free roam on a cruise ship until they had the capability to not be conned by an adult -with ulterior motives--and those adults are generally very slick at what they do and know how to overcome a child's objection without attracting attention. How many 12 and 13 year old girls get starry eyed when a slightly older boy shows them attention--most. And unfortunately many of them don't stop to think that a 15 year old boy can be just as dangerous as an adult male--they just don't have the maturity to process that information.

There was recently a serious problem with an 18 year old male and a younger teen female on a DCL ship that was the catalyst for 18 year olds no longer being allowed in the teen club even if they hadn't graduated high school.

Also you need to consider if your child would know how to react in the case of an emergency that required them to go immediately to muster and get to the correct muster station.

Some children are much smarter then others. Your mileage may vary.

Some girls are hookers by the age 14 most others are smart enough to know whats good and bad.

Some adults don't have maturity even if they have grown up !!

OMG:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe they should have a rule, Families only :confused:

Adults unless accompanied by children, will be banned :D

3 anecdotes doesn't prove a generalization. WDW is a community of about 250,000 people. How does it compare to a city of a similar size?

Archived