Jet Lag -- Flight Home

Smiles3usa

It's almost time for me to book flights for our Oct. Beijing to Bangkok cruise. I am having the hardest time deciding when to come home. (Alas, vacations don't last forever). In any event, the cruise ends in Bangkok on Tuesday morning. We plan to visit for at least 3 days--it's doubtful we will venture to this area of the world again, before retirement. So, I'd like to see as much as possible. But hubby does have to work the Monday after our return home (I have to return to work Tuesday). Our choice of flights are either Friday or Saturday morning. And those flights land home at 9:30p.m. the same day--meaning we will get home around 11:00 p.m. that night. My query, is 1 full day enough time to recover from jet lag (if we return Saturday night) or do we need to return Friday night and have both Saturday and Sunday to recover?

Thanks for any guidance.

It depends what you mean by "recover". There's going to be a 11 or 12 hour time change, and the truth of the matter is that your body clocks will probably be messed up for 5 to 6 days after you get home, getting progressively more settled back in to Boston time.

But two nights' sleep (ie returning home Saturday night) will probably be enough to be able to function reasonably effectively on Monday, particularly if you are unlikely to sleep on the flight (which will be an overnight flight, as you probably already know, despite the apparent times of departure and arrival) so that you are able to get a good sleep on the Saturday night when you get home.

Archived