Anch. airprt time for princess motorcoach to whittier

andreaplants

Hi! What an amazing board! I have SO many questions about our upcoming first cruise (alaska, may on princess) - first question is this - We are flying to anchorage the day before the cruise - got a nice hotel for $50-something so worth it for lack of stress. Hotel has free 24hr airport shuttle. Princess can only say to get to either airport or hospitality center by noon and then we'll be assigned a motorcoach sometime between 1-5:30 pm.

Has anyone else done this? What time did you get there? What is your advice? My sense is that it would be better to go to the hosp. center and leave our bags there if we can and hang out downtown if we are assigned to a later motorcoach. Also, is there any preference for getting to the ship early vs later? (sails at 9:30 pm)

thank you!!!!

Andrea

Andreaplants,

We have left both from downtown and the airport when Princess used to sail from Seward. The aiport shuttle had a wait time that was much less than leaving from downtown Anchorage. The last time we took the shuttle times were assigned based on what time you arrived. I do not think you would have much time to explore downtown Anchorage anyway. Things get pretty hectic on embarkation day. We prefer to arrive at the ship early to give us time to explore the ship before it sails.

If you happen to be on the May 14 Island Alaskan cruise please post on our thread on the "Roll Calls Princess Cruises" board. Enjoy your cruise.

I suggest you go to the Egan Center, drop off your bags and get your bus reservation. I am never in a rush to get on any Alaska ship, so my preference would be a later bus. Egan Center is right downtown, plenty to do here, so I would take advantage. Request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net has a nice walking tour map included. Your shuttle bus is about 1 hour 15 min. sit on the right side for the Arm views.

Since this is your first cruise, you do have several options. If you want to get a feel for Anchorage, then check your bags and get a later bus. that gives you several hours to just take in the Anchorage scene and get a feel for the town.

My wife, on the other hand, can't wait to get aboard the ship. We were the third party to board our ship last year from Vancouver. This gives you a chance to wander around the ship, gettting to know it. You can eat lunch and just relax while just taking in your new home for the next week. As said, my wife gets so excited about going on another cruise, she just can't wait to get going.

To each their own. Right.

Archived