Has anyone gone cruising for 7 days with only carry-on luggage???

Fins33

My DH and I are cruising later this month and are trying to decide if it is possible to only bring carry-on luggage? We are flying in the day prior to Miami. Has anyone been able to do this with formal wear, shoes, bathing suits, shorts etc and been successful? Any input/ tips are appreciated!

Happy cruising! :)

My DH and I are cruising later this month and are trying to decide if it is possible to only bring carry-on luggage? We are flying in the day prior to Miami. Has anyone been able to do this with formal wear, shoes, bathing suits, shorts etc and been successful? Any input/ tips are appreciated!

This video should help it has lots of tips. Enjoy your cruise!:D

I

Yes. It can be done.:). Our cruise on the Liberty both DH & I only traveled with a carry on & I had a big Vera Bradley Purse to house the "extras". It worked well. I packed everything I normally would have (without going overboard,, haha), I also bought some (3 I think) compression bags.. You can find them in the travel section of Wal-Mart,etc. I packed all of the bulkier items in these (shorts, husbands dress pants), but I also folded and rolled some of our shirts. I also brought some downy wrinkle release spray and immediately hung up our dress clothes, nicer shirts in the closet when we got to our room. I was determined after having a brand new suitcase ruined previously from being checked thru the airline to Miami.

I'll NEVER check another bag again.

Get creative! Trust me, you can do it!:)

Happy Cruising!!

Yes, I have cruised with ONLY carry on luggage twice. The first time was due to the loss of my suitcase and all I had was the contents of my backpack for a 7 day cruise. The next cruise I was so worried about a repeat of this that I brought everything in carry-on suitcase and a backpack which caused my carry-on luggage to be SO heavy that it was really exhausting. Now I always bring a carryon that contains the bare essentials that would allow me to comfortably survive the week BUT I bring most of my stuff in a checked bag. If it gets lost I can survive and still enjoy the cruise. If it arrives, I'll have all the outfits I planned.

I will this time. Unfortunately, my wife, Ma-in-Law, and three daughters wont be doing the same.

I keep telling them that I am going to get all my stuff in a drawstring bag!!!Just enough room for some flip flops, extra shirt/shorts and a change of drawers is all a man needs right??? :D

Seriously, there was a nice link on here recently about how to pack for a long trip in a carry-on that was nicely done and very informative.

I do it all the time. The key is mix and match. I do a load of laundry on the morning of a sea day. Limit shoes.. very very important. They take up too much space. And eliminate "just in case" clothes.

My wife and I have done it. First I packed only coach style shorts as they take up less room than jean shorts. I wore jeans on the trip down and used them again on the trip back. The real trick is to get a carry on garment bag. I used google shopping and ordered on online. They are like normal garment bags but fold twice instead of once. This allowed me to take a suit and my wife to pack a dress for formal night. Try to pick clothes that are thinner so they pack smaller. Finally, use your digital camera for videos so you don't pack a separate video camera.

My wife also used a rather large bag for her "purse". Small toiletries and such went in there.

One nice benefit is that you carry on all your luggage to the boat and don't have to wait for it to show up in your room.

Here is an example of the garment bag we used:

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Traveler-Ballistic-Tri-fold-Garment/dp/B001V6E3WI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334847401&sr=8-6

Yes! I surprise my husband every time, but I have traveled multiple times for 7+ days with only a carryon (and of course my back pack as a second carry on). In my backpack I put things I want to be able to access while on the plane or while going through security, like mp3 player, book, camera, and my baggie of liquids (make sure you buy the quart size baggie, not sandwhich size baggie - you can fit A LOT into a quart size which is the size TSA allows). Then, like everyone else has pointed out, a lot of re-using same pieces in different ways. I like to dress up at night for dinner, so I bring a nice pair of dress pants and a pair of dress capris for the week, then different tops and a pair of dress shoes that will work with all outfits (usually flats or nice sandals). For port days, I usually wear my swimsuit and a sundress as cover up (they are dresses that were sold as a dress, not as cover ups, but I thought they fit the bill for being a cover up) and of course I no longer bring my own beach towel. I also bring jeans, a sweatshirt (usually wear it on the plane because it is the bulkiest thing), tennis shoes and work out clothes. For my workout stuff, I bring two sports bras and wash my sports in the sink at night so they can dry; same for socks. Just bring a lot of stuff that can do double duty. Between a small carry on suitcase and a backpack, you can definitely take all you need for a week plus. Have fun!!

I'd like to try this, but I just don't know if I could manage. Also I know we're going to be buying souvenirs so I think we'd have to at least do one checked bag b/c I don't think we'd be able to fit souvenirs along w/ our regular stuff in just carry ons.

I plan to only take carry-ons for my cruise next month. My concern is sunscreen and flying liquid limits... but I think we'll probably buy some larger sunscreen bottles at the airport or on the way to the port.

If you are flying in a day early...mail these to the hotel. I did...worked like a charm!

We have done carry on on our past several cruises, including 10 day Europe. The secret is mix and match clothing and limiting the number of shoes. I follow Rick Steves, and have taken many suggestoins posted on his website for limiting my packing. Now we never lose a bag when flying, and always have our bag when our cabin is ready. We have even started a closet with travel clothes that pack well. The more organized the better.

We do it all the time! We're both Platinum, so we take advantage of the complimentary laundry service and don't pack as much clothing as we used to. We also don't get all gussied up for the Cruise Elegant night. We did that on our first couple of cruises, and now we just "go with the flow". If we ever check out other lines, we know that we'll have to adjust our packing, and will have to allow for a suit, tie, and long sleeved shirt for my husband, and a cocktail dress and heels for me.

In my husband's suitcase:

Four polos for dinnertime

Two Hawaiian shirts for Cruise Elegant night

Two tank tops for pool area

Two pairs of cargo shorts for the dining room

One pair of khaki pants for Cruise Elegant night

Two pairs of swim trunks

One pair of black shoes for Cruise Elegant night

One pair of sneakers for excursions/ship

One pair of flip flops for beach/pool

Four pairs socks (one pair black for cruise elegant night)

Four pairs underwear

In my husband's knapsack:

Cruise Documents and passports

His toiletries

His iPad and charger

In my suitcase:

Four to five tank tops

Two nice short sleeved shirts

Two batik dresses - one long for Cruise Elegant nights, one short to wear at the steakhouse

Four pairs shorts

Four pairs capris

Two bathing suits

Two bras

Four pairs panties

One pair of water sandals for the beach/pool

One pair of casual sandals for walking around ship/port

In my carry-on bag:

Shampoo

Conditioner

Leave-in Conditioner

Argon Oil for hair (I get keratin treatments and it helps keep the frizzies away)

Makeup

Skincare regime

Suntan sprays and aloe

Camera and charger

Extra battery and charger for camera

iPad or Laptop and charger

Hair Dryer

Flat Iron

Small multi-plug charger

Medication

Towel clips

In a shopping bag:

Allotment of Wine

One case of water

(This bag is then used for taking things to pool/beach, as well as any souvenirs that we pick up while on our cruise)

All of the clothing gets either rolled or laid out flat and folded into each other.

Shoes have bras, socks, and underwear rolled into them.

Every square inch of the suitcases and carry-on bags are used.

It can be done as long as you are creative about your packing!

Yep!

I always vacationed with carry on only - been to Paris for 9 days and Croatia, Spain and a few other places on weeklong trips with only carry ons.

Cruising is actually easier as I mostly pack shorts, swimsuits and T's!

yes it can be done...........altho we don't take formal clothes anymore.......just elegant

Last Jan we did 5 nights at WDW, followed by a 5 night cruise, followed by 4 more nights at WDW. All out of 2 backpacks and ONE carry-on. Had to do laundry 3x though:) It was great not paying huge luggage fees and dragging around a bunch of crap that we didn't need!

Last Jan we did 5 nights at WDW, followed by a 5 night cruise, followed by 4 more nights at WDW. All out of 2 backpacks and ONE carry-on. Had to do laundry 3x though:) It was great not paying huge luggage fees and dragging around a bunch of crap that we didn't need!

:eek: I'm impressed :D

There is a happy medium between 4 heavy suitcases and carry-on. What is the point of doing just carry-on - just to prove that you can do it.

DON

Yes! I surprise my husband every time, but I have traveled multiple times for 7+ days with only a carryon (and of course my back pack as a second carry on). In my backpack I put things I want to be able to access while on the plane or while going through security, like mp3 player, book, camera, and my baggie of liquids (make sure you buy the quart size baggie, not sandwhich size baggie - you can fit A LOT into a quart size which is the size TSA allows). Then, like everyone else has pointed out, a lot of re-using same pieces in different ways. I like to dress up at night for dinner, so I bring a nice pair of dress pants and a pair of dress capris for the week, then different tops and a pair of dress shoes that will work with all outfits (usually flats or nice sandals). For port days, I usually wear my swimsuit and a sundress as cover up (they are dresses that were sold as a dress, not as cover ups, but I thought they fit the bill for being a cover up) and of course I no longer bring my own beach towel. I also bring jeans, a sweatshirt (usually wear it on the plane because it is the bulkiest thing), tennis shoes and work out clothes. For my workout stuff, I bring two sports bras and wash my sports in the sink at night so they can dry; same for socks. Just bring a lot of stuff that can do double duty. Between a small carry on suitcase and a backpack, you can definitely take all you need for a week plus. Have fun!!

No way could I ever do this. Even if I visit my daughter for a weekend out of town, I still need that extra medium size upright. What are those baggie of liquids you are talking about? Hope I am not asking a silly question :confused:.

We have done it and will continue to go carry-on only plus a large tote purse or backpack per person. DH travels alot for business and does not check luggage. We have gone on an 8 day plus one day prior and have come home with with a few items not even worn (due to weather differences)! The longest I have gone is 10 days (2 days prior, 7 day cruise, 1 day post). I coordinate everything around a basic neutral color, usually black. That way only need to pack one pr fancy flip flops, sandals, etc. A tank top I wear to dinner with a scarf or coverup early in cruise, I use as daytime top later in cruise. I do lots of mixing and matching and have picked up lots of sheer tops/blouses to put over the very versatile tank/cami. I must admit, I don't pack long formal dress or heels, both too space consuming. I also wear the bulky items for travel: jacket, hoodie, jeans, athletic shoes. It is do-able. DH has taught us well! Even our kids manage to pack light. Try a dry run and leave the bulky stuff at home. :)

Archived