Has anyone gone cruising for 7 days with only carry-on luggage???

Fins33

There are three of us. With United checked bag fees it will cost 150 dollars for three bags so I am really considering carrying on but not sure we can get it all so I am thinking about a compromise. Each of us take a carry on and check one bag that the three of us share. That would cut it down by 100 dollars and we could pack all the toiletries etc in the checked bag.

I will this time. Unfortunately, my wife, Ma-in-Law, and three daughters wont be doing the same.

I keep telling them that I am going to get all my stuff in a drawstring bag!!!Just enough room for some flip flops, extra shirt/shorts and a change of drawers is all a man needs right??? :D

Seriously, there was a nice link on here recently about how to pack for a long trip in a carry-on that was nicely done and very informative.

Thanks for this link.... it actually works!!!! After watching this I grabbed my carry-on and a bunch of clothes.... fit with room to spare!

I did a few year ago on the Carnival Dream worked out pretty good. Rented a tux for both formal nights and this is huge the rest of your clothing in your wife's suitcase. Actually it wasn't that much but you would't know that from her reaction. It was the last time I did that:D

With sharing a suitcase, just beware to stay within the weight guidelines for the airline you are flying. Otherwise, while standing in line at the airport you will have to repack to distribute the heavy items to your carry-on's, purchase a bag from them and pay for that extra bag to be checked, or pay the overweight fee. Years ago while traveling to Germany to visit family this happened to us. We chose to pay the overweight fee, as many glaring passengers were behind us. It has beome so crazy!!! That's why we do carry-on only, but I hear some airlines might charge for that now too! :eek:

Every year I try to carry less and less....I keep thinking how easy it would be to just be able to carry our own luggage off the ship.....of course I have heard that can be a hassle also...and on our last cruise I actually enjoyed sitting outside the lido deck waiting for our number to be called.

I am going to try and pack in just one suit case this year....but we have our drinks we carry in one and then we have the bag that has all our toiletries and all in one....I think we just carry to much stuff:confused:

We are flying out tomorrow and cruising on Saturday and we only bring carry ons. There are 4 of us and we each have 1 carry on and one small bag (purse for me, small bag for husband with iPad and a small backpack for each of the kids for iPods.) We are going on a 7 day cruise and managed to get everything in we needed. We do take 1 morning and throw in a small load of laundry so we only take the bare minimum. Vacation to me is about relaxing so I don't really care about the clothes. If I have a bathing suit and flip flops I'm happy!:)

I have done it for my last cruise back in March. I was flying out of Vancouver and only wanted to bring a carry on.

The carry on was full, but honestly i brought too much stuff. I am not a very girly person though and I didn't have 10 pair of shoes and a different dress for each night. But I did had 3 or 4 dresses, 3 or so pair of shoes and enough shorts and tee shirt for at least 2 weeks (It was my first cruise and I now know i need to pack lighter :p)

Our carry-on's are the standard size rolling ones you see that fit in the overhead bins. We each take a rolling carry-on and either a backback (DH) or a large purse for myself. Over the last few years I have made some great purchases of sheer blouses, shrugs, etc. I layer them over a black dress, or tank with dressy slacks/capris, etc. Again I do lots of mixing and matching. Occasionally I may wear same ensemble twice. Last cruise our tablemates never even showed up once on an 8-day cruise. So no need to be concerned about someone seeing me wear same thing twice (DH doesn't care). And for the couple hours in the amply air conditioned MDR, I can use that tank top again with a different sheer top. I've had good luck at Kohl's and finding cruise-worthy sheer blouses and usually on their clearance rack!

Do it all the time...the trick is to select the right FAA carry on bag..I purchased a new carry on from Delsey that was on sale at Dillards and it worked perfectly (21.5 by 14 with 2 inch expansion) after my 25 year old Samsonite died...i also pack a beach bag that I use on my return (i check my bag on the return). I use my Nikon camera bag to carry personal stuff. Virtually all sunscreen lotions now come in less then 3oz containers.

For a man all you need is one pair of shoes that coordinate for both dark and light outfits. that can be mixed and matched..

My travel companion has it down to a science. It amazes me how she can coordinate around a basic black cocktail dress and one pair of black slacks.

We did 11/days in France which included a 7 day river cruise.

In my experience most folks overpack for a 7 day cruise and return home with clothes they never wore

We did this year! LOVED it! and I actually was able to take more than I expected to. Hubby and I each had a wheeled carry-on, plus I had a tote bag that always goes at my feet when we fly.

How I did it:

• 1 pair each: water sandals, walking sandals, dress shoes
  • bought a Nook to replace the 7-8 books I would have taken
  • slacks, skirts, shorts, etc. - all black - that I could wear more than once :eek:
  • 9 nice tops (inc. my elegant night glitzy tops)
  • a few of my nice tops were worn later around a port
  • a couple casual shirts
  • 2 swimsuits - washed each night so one was always dry - plus cover up
  • wore jeans, sweatshirt and sneakers on the plane, as those are most bulky
  • all clothes (minus undergarments) were neatly piled on top of each other with the most delicate on the bottom - then rolled into one big long bundle (just the right length for the carryon)
  • no shampoo or soap - it's provided on the ship
  • things like deodorant, sunscreen, hand lotion, etc. were all travel sized
  • no blowdryer - the one on Liberty worked fine, but some ships have weird ones that don't work as well

I ended up taking more tops and bottoms than planned, because I didn't want TOO much empty space in the bag. lol

My tote has the camera, jewelry, Nook, magazines, travel docs, meds, liquids.

My caveat - hubby and I take long trips on motorcycle - we can easily do a week or more without taking the trailer. I feel like I get to pack LOTS of stuff for cruises!! ;)

My packing list from the Valor for a week in December:

Full Cube 1

[ ]Skirt (short dark gray)

[ ]Skort (short khaki)

[ ]2 Tank Tops (nice enough for dinner)

[ ]1 Pair Boardshorts

[ ]Pajamas

[ ]Sun shirt

Full Cube 2

[ ]Swimsuit Coverup (doubles as a casual dress)

[ ]2 Swimsuits

[ ]Sandals

[ ]Sun Hat

[ ]VFFs (shoes)

[ ]2 Formal Dresses - can both be scrunched

1/4 Cube

[ ]Sports Bra

[ ]5 Pairs Underwear (Fewer if I get quick-drying ones)

[ ]Windbreaker

Tube Cube - Electronics

[ ]Mini Folding Alarm Clock

[ ]Waterproof Camera

[ ]Belkin Mini Power Bar

[ ]Cell Phone Charger

Toiletries

[ ]Comb

[ ]Condoms

[ ]Nail Clippers

[ ]Q-Tips

[ ]Razors

[ ]Toothbrush

[ ]Sinus rinse

3-1-1 (for TSA)

[ ]Toothpaste (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Camp Suds (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Deodorant (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Moisturizer (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Chap Stick (Purse)

[ ]Aloe (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Superglue (FAK)

[ ]Antibiotic Salve (FAK)

[ ]Soy Sauce Packets

[ ]Almond Butter Packets

[ ]Bug Spray

[ ]Hair Goo (Toiletries Cube)

Miscellaneous

[ ]Kid Scissors

[ ]Massager

[ ]BIG Ziploc

[ ]Quart Ziplock Bags

First Aid Kit (Small Pouch in Purse)

[ ]Waterproof bandaids

[ ]Sea Bands

[ ]Gatorade packets

[ ]bandaids

[ ]acetominophen

[ ]Aleve

[ ]Motion Sickness Meds

[ ]Duct Tape

[ ]Immodium

[ ]Benadryl

[ ]Sudafed

[ ]Zyrtec

[ ]Cepacol

[ ]Cough Drops

[ ]Tums

Papers (in Purse)

[ ]Passports

[ ]Plane Tickets

[ ]Ship Boarding Pass

[ ]Marriage License

[ ]Cruise Luggage Tags

[ ]Money & Reservation in Envelope for Nachi Cocom

[ ]Money in Envelope for Zipline ($65 each)

[ ]Money in Envelope for tips at end of cruise

Carry Bag (Under Seat on Plane)

[ ]iPad Charger

[ ]Cable Ties

[ ]Mini Sewing Kit

[ ]Dry erase marker

[ ]Vitamins

[ ]Crystallized ginger

[ ]Tanka Sticks (Beef Jerky)

[ ]Rain Ponchos

[ ]Bandana

[ ]Purse

Purse (in Carry Bag, will be rearranged to take on excursions - small backpack)

[ ]iPad

[ ]Papers

[ ]Wallet with DL & Credit Card & AAA Card (will use for safe on ship)

[ ]Bag Lock

[ ]First Aid Kit (in baggie)

[ ]Nail File

[ ]Earbuds

[ ]Flashlight/Watch

[ ]Safety pins

[ ]Sharpie (in baggie)

[ ]Business Cards (in baggie)

[ ]$1s & $5s

[ ]Pashmina

[ ]Baby Wipes

Buy in Miami

[ ]Sunscreen

[ ]Wine

[ ]Fan

Wear on Plane

[ ]Jeans

[ ]Belt

[ ]Tank top

[ ]Hoody

[ ]Black Mary Janes

[ ]Cell Phone

I bow before the master. ;)

enquiring minds must know - did you do laundry?

Yep, just once, on day nine. And I wasn't running out yet. :D

Had it been a 10 or 11 day cruise, I could have done it without laundry.

Yep, just once, on day nine. And I wasn't running out yet. :D

Had it been a 10 or 11 day cruise, I could have done it without laundry.

yes, I agree on 10 or 11 days without laundry. I could have stretched it that far, but 15 would have been a BIGGGGGGGG stretch. Now - being platinum with free laundry service - we DO take advantage of that perk for undergarments, shorts, t's... :D But I wouldn't have to.

yes, I agree on 10 or 11 days without laundry. I could have stretched it that far, but 15 would have been a BIGGGGGGGG stretch. Now - being platinum with free laundry service - we DO take advantage of that perk for undergarments, shorts, t's... :D But I wouldn't have to.

My packing list from the Valor for a week in December:

Full Cube 1

[ ]Skirt (short dark gray)

[ ]Skort (short khaki)

[ ]2 Tank Tops (nice enough for dinner)

[ ]1 Pair Boardshorts

[ ]Pajamas

[ ]Sun shirt

Full Cube 2

[ ]Swimsuit Coverup (doubles as a casual dress)

[ ]2 Swimsuits

[ ]Sandals

[ ]Sun Hat

[ ]VFFs (shoes)

[ ]2 Formal Dresses - can both be scrunched

1/4 Cube

[ ]Sports Bra

[ ]5 Pairs Underwear (Fewer if I get quick-drying ones)

[ ]Windbreaker

Tube Cube - Electronics

[ ]Mini Folding Alarm Clock

[ ]Waterproof Camera

[ ]Belkin Mini Power Bar

[ ]Cell Phone Charger

Toiletries

[ ]Comb

[ ]Condoms

[ ]Nail Clippers

[ ]Q-Tips

[ ]Razors

[ ]Toothbrush

[ ]Sinus rinse

3-1-1 (for TSA)

[ ]Toothpaste (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Camp Suds (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Deodorant (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Moisturizer (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Chap Stick (Purse)

[ ]Aloe (Toiletries Cube)

[ ]Superglue (FAK)

[ ]Antibiotic Salve (FAK)

[ ]Soy Sauce Packets

[ ]Almond Butter Packets

[ ]Bug Spray

[ ]Hair Goo (Toiletries Cube)

Miscellaneous

[ ]Kid Scissors

[ ]Massager

[ ]BIG Ziploc

[ ]Quart Ziplock Bags

First Aid Kit (Small Pouch in Purse)

[ ]Waterproof bandaids

[ ]Sea Bands

[ ]Gatorade packets

[ ]bandaids

[ ]acetominophen

[ ]Aleve

[ ]Motion Sickness Meds

[ ]Duct Tape

[ ]Immodium

[ ]Benadryl

[ ]Sudafed

[ ]Zyrtec

[ ]Cepacol

[ ]Cough Drops

[ ]Tums

Papers (in Purse)

[ ]Passports

[ ]Plane Tickets

[ ]Ship Boarding Pass

[ ]Marriage License

[ ]Cruise Luggage Tags

[ ]Money & Reservation in Envelope for Nachi Cocom

[ ]Money in Envelope for Zipline ($65 each)

[ ]Money in Envelope for tips at end of cruise

Carry Bag (Under Seat on Plane)

[ ]iPad Charger

[ ]Cable Ties

[ ]Mini Sewing Kit

[ ]Dry erase marker

[ ]Vitamins

[ ]Crystallized ginger

[ ]Tanka Sticks (Beef Jerky)

[ ]Rain Ponchos

[ ]Bandana

[ ]Purse

Purse (in Carry Bag, will be rearranged to take on excursions - small backpack)

[ ]iPad

[ ]Papers

[ ]Wallet with DL & Credit Card & AAA Card (will use for safe on ship)

[ ]Bag Lock

[ ]First Aid Kit (in baggie)

[ ]Nail File

[ ]Earbuds

[ ]Flashlight/Watch

[ ]Safety pins

[ ]Sharpie (in baggie)

[ ]Business Cards (in baggie)

[ ]$1s & $5s

[ ]Pashmina

[ ]Baby Wipes

Buy in Miami

[ ]Sunscreen

[ ]Wine

[ ]Fan

Wear on Plane

[ ]Jeans

[ ]Belt

[ ]Tank top

[ ]Hoody

[ ]Black Mary Janes

[ ]Cell Phone

What is a cube?

The key to packing light is your attitude to wearing clothes more than once.

3 bottoms x 7 tops can be 21 outfits. Febreez is your friend ;)

Limit the amount of shoes- sandals, walking, dress, water and pool flip flops are all that are necesssary depending on your excursions.

There are many threads on the Fashion and Beauty board about packing light.

These are packing cubes. they are great for organizing your stuff

xMv3eQDli6wV6yJajrtHZi1VgBNRNKZ3vRGk2eBbQF7S0QupCrogogGrN-MwRQYIrdKztrKf1gbQvckeauUNvE0YZbMpUKPU9E3MctkOaFvDaEO7iQedwJdnQAJFm5R6xzw4Fp2U6uoq

Yup, those things. What was in each cube may have been off, but I can fit a ton of tank tops in one. We did have our laundry done halfway through, though it wasn't strictly necessary. I think someone asked how big of a bag people used. Mine was the LL Bean Expedition Travel Pack (22"x14"x9.25"), and I had a Baggalini Only Bagg for my tote bag.

Plan on packing lighter next time.

I have never seen the cubes before...so thank you for posting a picture...but I may try and look for some before our cruise....I do know that you can get more stuff in a suitcase if you can get it all in a small place...that is why rolling the clothes seems to work so much better. My goal is to CUT DOWN on the amount of stuff we carry this year :)

We always cruise with whatever bags we can carry on with us. We may have to check a bag at the airport because of liquids but we never let Carnival touch our luggage. Back in 1999 we left our luggage outside our cabin on the last night. We never saw one of the bags again. We had to file a claim with our homeowner's insurance to get any money. We are also willing to do a load of laundry half way through the cruise too. Whatever bag will fit through the scanner at embarcation is what we bring on.

I have never seen the cubes before...so thank you for posting a picture...but I may try and look for some before our cruise....I do know that you can get more stuff in a suitcase if you can get it all in a small place...that is why rolling the clothes seems to work so much better. My goal is to CUT DOWN on the amount of stuff we carry this year :)

I have never tried the cubes. I've had great success just rolling all the clothes (neatly of course, lol) into one big roll that fits into the carry-on lengthwise. I have had very limited wrinkles, as the items most prone to wrinkles go on the outside (bottom while stacking).

Archived