Europe River Cruise - July Weather etc

Neliska

Hi Everyone

In mid July my husband & I will be doing the European Splendour River Cruise aboard Avalon Affinity from Vienna to Amsterdam.

If anyone else here has been on that one or a similar river cruise in mid July I would love to hear what sort of weather & temperatures we could expect & any other useful information.

A couple of queries:

Do the suitcases fit under the beds for storage?

Am I correct in saying that you don't have to dress up for dinner as it is quite casual and relaxed?

I have read with interest about the dining on board so I hope to be able to report back after our trip with our view on it all.

We have done a few ocean cruises but this will be our first river cruise.

Prior to the river cruise we are doing a 7 night small ship cruise from Dubrovnik aboard the Adriatic Pearl which is new and has her maiden trip in May, so will also be able to review that one as well as there is not a lot of information and reviews on small ship cruises.

As we are from New Zealand one has to try and do as much as possible as it is such a long way!

Cheers

I have only been on Viking River Cruises and the luggage fits under the bed on their ships.

On Viking it is casual dress for dinner. Take a pair of black slacks and nice tops. Some people don't even change. I assume Avalon is the same.

I have gone to New Zealand the last two years for a couple of months. Its nice to get away from the rainy season here and go out there and sit in the sun.

A couple of queries:

Do the suitcases fit under the beds for storage?

Am I correct in saying that you don't have to dress up for dinner as it is quite casual and relaxed?

I have read with interest about the dining on board so I hope to be able to report back after our trip with our view on it all.

We have done a few ocean cruises but this will be our first river cruise.

Prior to the river cruise we are doing a 7 night small ship cruise from Dubrovnik aboard the Adriatic Pearl which is new and has her maiden trip in May, so will also be able to review that one as well as there is not a lot of information and reviews on small ship cruises.

We have sailed on Affinity.

Yes, the suitcases fit under the bed.

Yes, it is quite casual and relaxed.

We avoid summer months in Europe so cannot help with weather.

Sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for your answers.

The Wunderground site is a good one to check on weather temperatures. I will be checking it out with the places we stop off at closer to our departure from NZ. It appears one has to be prepared for any sort of weather! Sounds a bit like London. I remember when we were there in June 4 years ago some days & nights were quite cool.

Where we live the temperature is pretty much the same each day in the summer so you know what to expect. In other parts of NZ it can plummet quite quickly.

Cheers

We lived in Augsburg, Germany for four years and loved the German Summers. Generally, it is no more than 80 degrees, but occasionally it will get really hot. One year it hit 100 degrees. The Germans, men and women were taking off their tops.

Summer is short in Germany. The old joke is that Summer is great, both weeks of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived