Countdown clocks

waggie

I've occasionally had to reload my current countdown clock. I don't think it would have been anything done by the mods, or else they would have sent you a notification.

I would ask, though, that you consider leaving the "Sailed" ones off. There was a recent thread regarding cluttered signatures. Aesthetics aside, having many countdown clocks slows down the loading of pages for some because of their internet connections. Maybe you could list past cruises in text, such as I do.

From the Cruise Critic guidelines--

Signatures

Cruise Critic has the following suggestions for keeping your online signatures manageable:

- Keep your images to around three (approx) -- which would include a picture, clipart, photo or your countdown.

- Try not to have any one image that is TOO large, which then takes additional time for your fellow members to download,

- If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some, OR rearrange them horizontally rather than vertically;

- From time to time, browse through your signature and eliminate any extra blank lines, or old countdown codes, etc.

Remember, not everyone is speeding along on DSL or cable modems, super-fast processors etc. so keeping your signature to a reasonable length will help speed all of us along! Cruise Critic reserves the right to remove/delete portions of your online signature and will let you know that we've had to resize your online signature.

I've occasionally had to reload my current countdown clock. I don't think it would have been anything done by the mods, or else they would have sent you a notification.

I would ask, though, that you consider leaving the "Sailed" ones off. There was a recent thread regarding cluttered signatures. Aesthetics aside, having many countdown clocks slows down the loading of pages for some because of their internet connections. Maybe you could list past cruises in text, such as I do.

Steve, thank you for the explanation - I did place them horizontally, and was chuffed that I had worked out how to do it!! but hey, I know that I have sailed anyway!

AGREED...

Heck, if I left up a "SAILED!" countdown clock from every cruise, I might short circuit your computer when you tried to open any thread I post on...

The countdown clocks are sort of cute to show the time ticking away toward an upcoming big cruise...but, after that, they just take up space...

I list all my past cruises, for the sake of letting readers know where my opinions and information comes from, but, because of the length, I've taken to listing them consecutively (rather than line by line) and in VERY SMALL TYPE...

As soon as I return from each cruise, I delete the "Sailed!" countdown clock and add a notation to my past cruise history...

I list all my past cruises, for the sake of letting readers know where my opinions and information comes from, but, because of the length, I've taken to listing them consecutively

Thank you - a great idea!

Waggie

I notice that my SAILED countdown clocks have disappeared - can anyone explain?:confused:

.....I would ask, though, that you consider leaving the "Sailed" ones off. There was a recent thread regarding cluttered signatures. Aesthetics aside, having many countdown clocks slows down the loading of pages for some because of their internet connections. Maybe you could list past cruises in text, such as I do.........

AGREED....The countdown clocks are sort of cute to show the time ticking away toward an upcoming big cruise...but, after that, they just take up space......

Don't understand why anyone would take up space in (sometimes) hundreds of posts with expired or "Sailed" countdown clocks. Be aware that your current signature is shown in EVERY thread, current or past, on record at CC. :confused:

I have four "SAILED" countdown clocks that I would like to delete. How do I delete them? They are definitely cluttering my signature.

Thanks

Um, you must have figured it out-- they're gone now!

For anyone else curious, click on User CP button found towards the top left of this page, then click Edit Signature - No Advertising Allowed. In the edit window, select the countdown clock in question with the mouse as if it were one big character and delete. Click the Preview Signature button, and if the results are good, click the Save Signature No Advertising Allowed button.

Don't understand why anyone would take up space in (sometimes) hundreds of posts with expired or "Sailed" countdown clocks. Be aware that your current signature is shown in EVERY thread, current or past, on record at CC. :confused:

What started as a simple question has now turned into a telling off! Thanks again for the suggestions in earlier posts.

What started as a simple question has now turned into a telling off! Thanks again for the suggestions in earlier posts.

Waggie... Sorry if you took it that way. I was not trying to tell anyone off.... My post was meant to point out to either you or anyone who might not be aware of the total space involved in leaving expired clocks in a signature. I apologize if my words offended you.

Waggie... Sorry if you took it that way. I was not trying to tell anyone off.... My post was meant to point out to either you or anyone who might not be aware of the total space involved in leaving expired clocks in a signature. I apologize if my words offended you.

LynnObie - apology accepted! I appreciate your explanation.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I simply don't use a signature (uncheck the box below, when submitting a post) for these forums and only use one on the rollcalls.:D

Miscellaneous Options

Show your signature

Automatically parse links in text

Disable smilies in text

Hope this clears away some cluttering signatures.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I confess to having old clocks and one new one...WHICH HAVE ALL DISAPPEARED. I thought maybe it was me so I did a quick (very quick) sampling of threads (on 2 computers) and found no countdown clocks at all in anyone's signature. I thought maybe cruise critic had deleted them so I tried to add a new one, but got a message that I was only allowed 6 or something and this would make seven so it was denied. I see nothing in the edit signature box in my user cp. I'd like to delete the old ones...but I can't see them. Have I got something switched off in a preference file somewhere? Any thoughts?

I don't really know how to help apart from maybe one option. Try editing your Signature Block by totally deleting everything even the blank space, and then rebuild what you require. Failing that just untick the box below the submit reply button and the Miscellaneous options, when posting a comment - Mic:D

Have no idea what happened, but I signed on today and all of my bandwidth hogging (old) countdown clocks were there. I went into my CP and deleted the old ones and added them back as text. Who knows...

Gremlins, they are everywhere.:D

Archived