Had a rude encounter with a Carnival PVP Last Night

About a month ago my husband and I booked a cruise for next week. As most of you know, anytime you put in your information someone from Carnival calls you to get your business. Well that happened to me a few times. No big deal, I actually like it because when I start looking at cruises, usually means I will book within a few days/ weeks.

So after looking and researching, I knew what cruise we wanted to do. I decided to use another company to book my Carnival cruise (not Carnival directly). I have used them before and I really liked their customer service. This time was no exception...

Fast forward to last night... I am out and about with my DH running errands and I get a call from a Carnival PVP asking me if I have booked my cruise. I told him that yes I have booked my cruise and in fact we are leaving on 4/29 for the Mexican Riviera upon the Splendor. He proceeds to yell "well why didn't you book through me?" (maybe he was joking but it was weird). I told him that I really had no answer other than the company that I used this time has been good to me with a previous cruise we took with RCL and that I wanted to try them again. The PVP says "Fine! Still not sure why you booked with XXXX but thank you/ have a nice day" and then he hangs up on me...

Now, our last cruise, we used Carnival directly and we had a great experience and continues to when I call for questions. I understand this guy is trying to make money and do his job, but c'mon.. being rude like that doesn't make me want to book another cruise with him directly...

I thought it was funny and this is no way deters on whether or not I will book with Carnival. I like Carnival a lot.. but I wanted to share my experience with others....

Soooo, thanks for reading this! :D

Did you catch the PVP's name or extension? While I LOVE my PVP and I will NEVER book a Carnival cruise through anybody but him, I also know that there are some bad PVP's out there that give that department a bad name.

Every PVP is part of a team which is supervised by a Sales Coach. If you call Carnival back (800-819-3902), they'll know what PVP made the call (the phone number that they called to reach you is linked to the specific PVP). You can then request to speak to the PVP's Sales Coach. Believe me, that PVP will NEVER attempt that move with any other guest.

What the PVP did was not only rude and uncalled for, but it's also against the department's rules and guidelines...

yelling at you isn't acceptable

however, imo (as a realtor who relys on commissions/referrals) it's nice to throw the PVP a bone if you've utilized their time and expertise, then transfer reservation to a TA. Note: i'm not sure of the current rules on this, know it was changed to 30 days after initial booking last time i booked. I didn't bother flipping it this time since no TA I contacted offered any gimmie worth giving up control of reservation.

Wow, that is strange. Someone must have been having a bad day.

Lots of people on this board talk about getting a sales call from a PVP after checking rates on the Carnival website. I've booked my last four CCL cruises directly on the Carnival website and have never used a PVP and never gotten that follow-up call, which is fine with me.

They must know it's me checking rates from the past guest number, but I've never gotten a phone call from a PVP prior to booking. Upsell calls, yes, but not calls encouraging me to book.

I did once get an e-mail from someone telling me they were my PVP, but that was over a year ago, and that was the only contact.

but I've never gotten a phone call from a PVP prior to booking.

Every phone number for a Carnival guest is linked to a PVP. The reason why some people get a phone call and some dont is dependent on the specific PVP linked to the phone number.

Each PVP works their database a different way. Some are pro-active about calling guests who log in to the Carnival website and check prices. Others concentrate on calling their past guests, or they target a specific audience (like seniors, guests that qualify for a residential discount, interliners, military, etc). Other PVP's stay busy just with the inbound calls that they receive.

We have been on 6 Carnival Cruises and have always used a TA (lifetime family friend). I always get on the website and make my decisions then call my TA. About two years ago I got a call from a PVP and she not only told me she was "watching me everytime I got on the website" but she would call me every week until I booked a cruise with her. I called Carnival, gave them her name and have never heard from a PVP again. About a month later I got an email asking me if was satisified with their solution. I responded yes and thanked them profusely for taking care of the mater.

He had no right to yell at you that way and you were right to be annoyed but it is just possible that he was having a really lousy day and you were the unfortunate recipient of his annoyance.

DON

Yes that is also what I thought, which is why I am not making a big deal. I am a supervisor in my call center and I know that people can have bad days... I just thought it was funny. I get calls from them all the time.. so this wasn't as big a deal... just wanted to share (oh and see my countdown clock :D)

Archived