TransAtlantic mystique?

mountainhouse

Maybe it's because I did a TransAtlantic as a child, but there's always been something special about that route. Might be an American thing too, as so many first entered the country that way. Even though I'm not particularly fond of sea days, it's definitely on my list to do.

Anyone else feel a special attraction to a TranAtlantic voyage?

I've never done one and LOVE sea days and I think I have the same feelings as you -- there is something romantically historic (?) about a transatlantic crossing. Seems as though it would stir up thoughts of our past, our roots, and a different time, pre-jet travel. And along that line, unless I were doing a roundtrip, I wouldn't have any interest in sailing east, I'd prefer to sail from Europe to the U.S. - just seems as though that is the "correct" direction to make this sailing. Am I living in my grandparents footsteps? Maybe. Sailing out of NY harbor on my very first cruise and seeing Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, gave me a real connection with my past and made me think of my grandparents arrival from Italy in the early 1920's.

We went right from our first cruise (7 nights to Alaska in 1997) to a 15 night Transatlantic cruise in 1999. We loved it so much we did another in 2000, and were scheduled to do it again in 2002 (but that time we were going to do the final Caribbean cruise of the season and then head over to Europe on the same ship), but after 9/11 the European itineraries were cancelled and we had to reschedule. We really love the Transatlantic routes, because we savor each and every sea day. Last fall, I did my first Transpacific, and that was even better, and we're doing that one again in 2006.

My only advice...if you have true flexibility, go from east to west intead of west to east. The only thing better than a day at sea is a 25 hour day at sea, and you get several of them on the east to west routes. The west to east routes, you get a lot of 23 hour days, and by the 5th one, we're sleeping till noon (NOT our usual habit!).

We've been on several trans-Atlantics, and enjoyed them all, even those with very bumpy seas.

We also done several trans-Pacifics, and enjoy them even more, as they are usually longer (more sea days!), and gross generalization much warmer with calmer seas.

What a way to go...................we love those long wonderful. days at sea..................lst one was NY to London via, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, England............truly terrific,,,,,weather was coolish but comfortable, not cold. San Juan to Athens, via Maderia, Gilbralter, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Istanbul, Athens,,,,,,,,,,,,,absoultely fabulous,,,,,,,,even pool sunning days on this one. Just last fall was Venice to Ft. Lauderdale in October, Rome, Naples, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Caidiz, Lisbon,,,,,,,,,,,,,again cool not cold and very pleasant and good seas. Nothing like the long leisure cruises so much to do and relaxation is at the height..........................so yes, transatlantic either west to east or east to west,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just plain fabulous............sailinsal

I've booked a transatlantic for Nov 06. And did so because of the fabulous ports Princess visits: Rome, Florence, Cannes, Barcelona, Gilbraltar, Morroco, Senegal and 3 ports in Brazil.

Personally, I think--from a historical perspective--that rather than showing a romantic glorious past, the transatlantic routes should remind Americans of one of the most shameful periods in its young history; a time when money and power meant more to some than the dignity of humanity in others.

I've booked a transatlantic for Nov 06. And did so because of the fabulous ports Princess visits: Rome, Florence, Cannes, Barcelona, Gilbraltar, Morroco, Senegal and 3 ports in Brazil.

Personally, I think--from a historical perspective--that rather than showing a romantic glorious past, the transatlantic routes should remind Americans of one of the most shameful periods in its young history; a time when money and power meant more to some than the dignity of humanity in others.

What?? I cannot see anything shameful! Yes, many came to America to get some money - so they can live or live better. Please check your history.

Different perspectives. My comments were not made regarding those who freely came to America to make some money. Rather, my comments were directed toward those whose want for power and money dehumanized and enslaved other folks-- who also were transported across the Atlantic against their will. nuff said.

Different perspectives. My comments were not made regarding those who freely came to America to make some money. Rather, my comments were directed toward those whose want for power and money dehumanized and enslaved other folks-- who also were transported across the Atlantic against their will. nuff said.

In the 1850s ships were powered by sail! The time of the great transatlantic ships was in the 1900s.

I love the transatlantics, too! I started cruising because my dad talked of going back to Sweden with his parents and how much he loved being on the ship! I took my first cruise in 82, saw the ssNorway and the rest is history!

Onboard in 1983, they said there would be 2 transatlantics in 84 so I booked! It was so exciting sailing from Southampton to Miami, on a former liner! I took the Norway again in 1996 sailing from Miami to New York and then to France. Sailing into New York on the Norway was just a special feeling.

This year I'm sailing from Southampton to New York but stopping at Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland so not a transatlantic with 5 sea days together, but an itinerary I've always wanted to do!

Susie

Sure definition of TransAtlantic is any Atlantic Ocean crossing, but I too tend to associate it with the great liners. Though crossing in a clipper ship around South America would be much more challenging!

Wow, Susie.... SS Norway. That would be the way. Was sad to she her go recently. Unfortunately, my TransAtlantic was a much less glamorous ship. No, it's not the same as the Maasdam of today. :-)

Archived