Unwanted Dinners??

Hi

Been online booking wine package, and anniversary decorations etc..

As a treat I wanted to book a meal in Potofino's or Choips for our Anniversary too, but while viewing I saw these new Celebration Dinning Packages, reduced Cost & free $30 beverage voucher, sounds a good deal until you read small print.. 4 Passenger or more? Then there was another deal for 8 to 10 passengers?

Are couples not wanted anymore by RCI? surely they could have adapted the offer to suit couples (ie, Half the $30 voucher to $15 etc..)

I now feel I begrudge paying full price on day 1 or 2, as everyone else in the restaurant will be paying a reduced rate, plus free drinks.

Does anyone else find this unfair or is it just me??

Thanks

Edited by chrissycpm

Well if I were running a business, I'd rather fill up a 4 top with 4 people instead of 2. It means more revenue. It only makes sense to try and lure in groups of 4 or more to try and fill more seats up. I know when I went to chops in February we were at a 4 top with two empty seats.

It's called niche marketing and it's a fact of life. Obviously putting 4 people in seats is better than 2. Could be they already have plenty of couples and fewer tables for two.

State specials, military specials, over 55 specials; the offers are endless and they are exclusive rather than inclusive. Yeah, I chafe a bit when my demographic isn't included but hey, such is life.

So to answer your question: Is it unfair? Probably. Are single suplements fair? Ask singles. One thing is pretty clear to me. Find two persons to share with and take advantage of the special. Sounds fair to me.

Harry

Hi

Been online booking wine package, and anniversary decorations etc..

As a treat I wanted to book a meal in Potofino's or Choips for our Anniversary too, but while viewing I saw these new Celebration Dinning Packages, reduced Cost & free $30 beverage voucher, sounds a good deal until you read small print.. 4 Passenger or more? Then there was another deal for 8 to 10 passengers?

Are couples not wanted anymore by RCI? surely they could have adapted the offer to suit couples (ie, Half the $30 voucher to $15 etc..)

I now feel I begrudge paying full price on day 1 or 2, as everyone else in the restaurant will be paying a reduced rate, plus free drinks.

Does anyone else find this unfair or is it just me??

Thanks

I haven't seen these and as far as I'm concerned these are discriminatory and should not be allowed under UK consumer law. No way am I going to pay full price for 2 of us if I know that for groups of 4 or more there are what are effectively exclusive discounts.

It's called niche marketing and it's a fact of life. Obviously putting 4 people in seats is better than 2. Could be they already have plenty of couples and fewer tables for two.

State specials, military specials, over 55 specials; the offers are endless and they are exclusive rather than inclusive. Yeah, I chafe a bit when my demographic isn't included but hey, such is life.

So to answer your question: Is it unfair? Probably. Are single suplements fair? Ask singles. One thing is pretty clear to me. Find two persons to share with and take advantage of the special. Sounds fair to me.

Harry

Those "specials" are very limited and to begrudge the military a discount is a bit strange. You are comparing apples to oranges. Lots of couples cruise and to exclude them/us makes no sense. We occasionally cruise with friends and will be again next March, so we may try it then, but I think the deal isn't going to make them any extra revenue.

Harry

Hi Harry

We are in UK, so we don't get all the State specials, military specials, & Residency Specials etc.

But going back to original posting,, In Portofino's I would say more than half of the tables were for 2 and those for 4, 6 etc,, were in fact 2 doubles or or 3 pushed together. So I can't accept it;s niche thing, all they have to do is seperate the tables accordingly, like in any other restaurant.

When you say "find 2 to share with" how would one go about this, I mean would we have to link our reservation bookings for the cruise etc??

I agree with you on the single occupancy though, My Mother has to pay double fare when she cruises with RCI :(

Regards, Chrissy

I haven't seen these and as far as I'm concerned these are discriminatory and should not be allowed under UK consumer law. No way am I going to pay full price for 2 of us if I know that for groups of 4 or more there are what are effectively exclusive discounts.

Hi Pete, I'm with you all thje way :)

If you login to your RCI Website, look under pre-book dinning, you will see the link for "Celebration Dinning" if you click the title, it gives you all the small print etc..

Regards, Chrissy (Originally from near MCR) ;)

Hi Pete, I'm with you all thje way :)

If you login to your RCI Website, look under pre-book dinning, you will see the link for "Celebration Dinning" if you click the title, it gives you all the small print etc..

Regards, Chrissy (Originally from near MCR) ;)

I can't see it for our sailing thank goodness because otherwise I would be causing a stink for the 2 reservations I have made for Chops Grille and Portofino.

I can't see it for our sailing thank goodness because otherwise I would be causing a stink for the 2 reservations I have made for Chops Grille and Portofino.

Hi Pete

It's under speciality dinning, on your overview, on cruise countdown, will put details below.

Celebration Dining Deal - Portofino

s.gif

Prices starting from: 12.60 GBP

Per Person

s.gif

Book the Celebration Dining Deal for a group of four or more and your party will enjoy a delicious meal at one of our most popular restaurants, PLUS a $30 beverage credit to spend on wine, champagne, or any other beverage while you dine.

Your party won't pay anything more than the restaurant's regular cover charge to receive the beverage credit. In other words, it's like you're getting complimentary drinks on us. Cheers!

The Celebration Dinner Party can only be reserved online before your cruise, so book now and let the festivities begin.

This package is valid at Chops Grille, Portofino, and Giovanni's Table specialty restaurants.•Make your dinner reservation for Day 1 or Day 2 of your cruise, for a party of four or more.•During dinner, your party will enjoy a $30 beverage credit that you may spend on any beverages you like, from wine to cocktails to soda.•The non-refundable beverage credit must be spent while your party is at dinner that night.

They are looking to attract another demographic. I don't think it's unfair. Lots of different groups get various discounts for different criteria.

I think your missing the point? and I can't recall ever seeing any meal deals for 2?

Just don't go on nights 1 or 2 and you'll be ok. Otherwise 4 or more gets the deal.

I think your missing the point? and I can't recall ever seeing any meal deals for 2?

There are meal deals for 2 persons on many RCI ships. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle C&A booklets (and perhaps those for lower C&A tiers) contain a BOGO (Buy one Get one) coupon that is good for the first night in either Chops or Portofino (not sure if other specialty restaurants are included in this offer on ships that have them).

There are meal deals for 2 persons on many RCI ships. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle C&A booklets (and perhaps those for lower C&A tiers) contain a BOGO (Buy one Get one) coupon that is good for the first night in either Chops or Portofino (not sure if other specialty restaurants are included in this offer on ships that have them).

Bill is right on... in this one!

However, if you are trying to celebrate a special night on your anniversary, and you have a night picked out.......on day one, go to the head of Chops or Portofino's or whatever alternative dining event you want to attend, and just ask for what it is that you want to do for that special night. I bet they will fit you in and have something special for you.

And if it costs you $30.00 more, and you can't afford it.........what are you doing cruising?? That's not a jab........is an honest question.

I think that the whole world is going crazy wanting special deals.......because come December 2012, acording to the Mayan calendar, the world is coming to an end.

So, if you trip is after that...........I would not even worry about the extra $30.00.;)

Rick

They are looking to attract another demographic. I don't think it's unfair. Lots of different groups get various discounts for different criteria.

4 people instead of 2 isn't a "demographic". Their demographics are already onboard. It is what it is and it's not the same as getting a group cruise discount. As I said above, it's apples and oranges to compare this deal to cruise discounts. It just makes no sense to make it for 4 since offering to everyone would bring in a lot more people. This deal is self-limiting. A lot of people cruise in 2's and 3's. And there are others that will never set foot in the specialty restaurant regardless of the deal (think those that are intimidated by the MDR, or those that won't spend any extra money on a meal onboard). It's some of the strangest marketing I've ever seen.

However, if you are trying to celebrate a special night on your anniversary, and you have a night picked out.......on day one, go to the head of Chops or Portofino's or whatever alternative dining event you want to attend, and just ask for what it is that you want to do for that special night. I bet they will fit you in and have something special for you.

And if it costs you $30.00 more, and you can't afford it.........what are you doing cruising?? That's not a jab........is an honest question.

I think that the whole world is going crazy wanting special deals.......because come December 2012, acording to the Mayan calendar, the world is coming to an end.

So, if you trip is after that...........I would not even worry about the extra $30.00.;)

Rick

It's not $30 more for a couple. It's $30 beverage voucher AND reduced cost for 4 people. It's not about the cost. It's the principle of denying the same option to less than 4 people which makes no sense and seems to be entirely random.

Personally, I think they will rethink this when couples start making a stink.

Edited by BND

Did I say I couldn't afford it? I don't think I did. It's not about affordability, it's about discrimatory pricing. Why am I cruising? Because I like to, but that doesn't mean I don't look for deals and when I think there are ones that are unfair, I'll speak out. That's my right.

Has the world gone crazy looking for deals, of course. No more so than my friends in the US IMHO. No charge for changing staterooms, no loss of deposit, price drops, state specials, I could go on. Do we get them over here in the UK? No.

Edited by peteukmcr

It's not $30 more for a couple. It's $30 beverage voucher AND reduced cost for 4 people. It's not about the cost. It's the principle of denying the same option to less than 4 people which makes no sense and seems to be entirely random.

Personally, I think they will rethink this when couples start making a stink.

Where is the reduced cost?

Hi Pete

It's under speciality dinning, on your overview, on cruise countdown, will put details below.

Celebration Dining Deal - Portofino

s.gif

Prices starting from: 12.60 GBP

Per Person

s.gif

Book the Celebration Dining Deal for a group of four or more and your party will enjoy a delicious meal at one of our most popular restaurants, PLUS a $30 beverage credit to spend on wine, champagne, or any other beverage while you dine.

Your party won't pay anything more than the restaurant's regular cover charge to receive the beverage credit. In other words, it's like you're getting complimentary drinks on us. Cheers!

The Celebration Dinner Party can only be reserved online before your cruise, so book now and let the festivities begin.

This package is valid at Chops Grille, Portofino, and Giovanni's Table specialty restaurants.•Make your dinner reservation for Day 1 or Day 2 of your cruise, for a party of four or more.•During dinner, your party will enjoy a $30 beverage credit that you may spend on any beverages you like, from wine to cocktails to soda.•The non-refundable beverage credit must be spent while your party is at dinner that night.

Many thanks, found it now even for our sailing. Although it does say that booking for speciality restaurants is not available, funny since I booked ours quite a while ago!

Rick

Hi Rick, I always follow your post's and I find them informative and funny at times.

However! I did not state the meal was for our Anniversary as such, i saw the deal while browsing stateroom decorations, wine packages etc... I have indeed booked at full price for our Anniversary (12 June) this offer I refer to is for days 1 & 2 only.

And yes, we are lucky to be able to afford to cruise, otherwise we wouldn't bother would we, don't let someones past short cruise history dictate to you how affluent people are, yes we only started cruising in 2009 and now we're hooked.

Regards, Chrissy

Hate it when people ask a question, and D+, Pinnacle etc come back letting you know what you get?? can't you answer a generic question that effects every guest??

Did I say I couldn't afford it? I don't think I did. It's not about affordability, it's about discrimatory pricing. Why am I cruising? Because I like to, but that doesn't mean I don't look for deals and when I think there are ones that are unfair, I'll speak out. That's my right.

Has the world gone crazy looking for deals, of course. No more so than my friends in the US IMHO. No charge for changing staterooms, no loss of deposit, price drops, state specials, I could go on. Do we get them over here in the UK? No.

Here here, ;)

I had a look because I heard of the dinner specials. Hadn't planned on paying for any of the at a cost restaurants so was tempted to see what was on offer. Considering its just hubby and myself going, and on nights 1 or 2 it hasn't tempted me to find strangers to dine with. Will enjoy all the other options instead. No great loss. They just I guess lose out by not enticing those that weren't considering it in the first place I guess, which is the category I fall into. No skin of my nose in the end :) Just excited to be cruising

Kylie

Since my hubby and I cruise most often just the two of us, I tend to agree. It's irritating to know that we can only do this when we cruise with others. OTOH, I am just as irritated by children's pricing in the specialty restaurants. Why? Because many or maybe most 10 year olds (especially boys, cliche but true) eat as much or more than many adults (especially "mature" folks). Yet, many cruise lines have reduced surcharges for children, sometimes to include anyone younger than 18. Is it really fair to charge a 17 year old teen 50% what a 75 year old pays?

I suppose that any discount of any kind can be seen as discriminatory by those who aren't included. I know I often feel that way and have to remind myself that these are business decisions and that I never say no to any discount that we do qualify to have.

beachchick

4 people instead of 2 isn't a "demographic". Their demographics are already onboard. It is what it is and it's not the same as getting a group cruise discount. As I said above, it's apples and oranges to compare this deal to cruise discounts. It just makes no sense to make it for 4 since offering to everyone would bring in a lot more people. This deal is self-limiting. A lot of people cruise in 2's and 3's. And there are others that will never set foot in the specialty restaurant regardless of the deal (think those that are intimidated by the MDR, or those that won't spend any extra money on a meal onboard). It's some of the strangest marketing I've ever seen.

I think the demographic they are looking at is 'families'. Parents travelling with children or extended relatives. Not couples. It is pretty expensive paying for 4, 5 or 6 covers when you want to have dinner as a family. We usually do a specialty only once a cruise as it is $100 extra, plus extra tip.