Unwanted Dinners??

Royal Caribbean is still a business and they want to make money. A table of 4-6-8 or 10 is going to spend more then say a table of 2. As a business owner, I do understand that. My husband and I will be in the same dilemma as we are a twosome but I don't begrudge RC for their most recent dining offers.

Will we still eat at Chops or Portofinos?..you bet we will! :D We've experienced some of our best meals there.

Did I say I couldn't afford it? I don't think I did. It's not about affordability, it's about discrimatory pricing. Why am I cruising? Because I like to, but that doesn't mean I don't look for deals and when I think there are ones that are unfair, I'll speak out. That's my right.

Has the world gone crazy looking for deals, of course. No more so than my friends in the US IMHO. No charge for changing staterooms, no loss of deposit, price drops, state specials, I could go on. Do we get them over here in the UK? No.

You get price adjustments after final, and we don't. That's a nice feature.

It's not $30 more for a couple. It's $30 beverage voucher AND reduced cost for 4 people. It's not about the cost. It's the principle of denying the same option to less than 4 people which makes no sense and seems to be entirely random.

Personally, I think they will rethink this when couples start making a stink.

I don't think it's both $30 voucher and a discount, it's either or, depending on your group size. 4 or more it's the beverage credit, 8 or more it's a percentage discount, from what I read. Maybe I missed something.

Edited by marci22

It's a "volume" discount; just like the supermarket specials (buy 5, get one free or 20% off when you by 2). Is it "fair" when the special is buy one, get one free and you can't just buy one at half price? Nothing unfair about it. Remember, all's fair in love and marketing.

Royal Caribbean is still a business and they want to make money. A table of 4-6-8 or 10 is going to spend more then say a table of 2. As a business owner, I do understand that. My husband and I will be in the same dilemma as we are a twosome but I don't begrudge RC for their most recent dining offers.

Will we still eat at Chops or Portofinos?..you bet we will! :D We've experienced some of our best meals there.

One of the points i'm trying to make is, most tables are small 2 seat tables,, apart from a few large round tables etc.. in the past when I've seen 6 people sitting together, they are actually sat at 3 tables pushed together, still with there individual table clothes, not 1 new very large table cloth.

Sooo as long as every seat is taken, what is the problem, if they have 40 tables taken with 4 or 6 guests, why not split the remaining 20 tables back to suit couples.

Also I would think that 50 tabels for couples, would bring in the same revenue as 25 tables for 4. all they have to do is give a $15 beverage voucher instead of the $30.

One of the points i'm trying to make is, most tables are small 2 seat tables,, apart from a few large round tables etc.. in the past when I've seen 6 people sitting together, they are actually sat at 3 tables pushed together, still with there individual table clothes, not 1 new very large table cloth.

Sooo as long as every seat is taken, what is the problem, if they have 40 tables taken with 4 or 6 guests, why not split the remaining 20 tables back to suit couples.

Also I would think that 50 tabels for couples, would bring in the same revenue as 25 tables for 4. all they have to do is give a $15 beverage voucher instead of the $30.

If they didn't see a need to get more large parties in, do you really think they would be contriving this new discount scheme for nothing? Maybe we don't understand it, but there must be a reason.

I don't think it's both $30 voucher and a discount, it's either or, depending on your group size. 4 or more it's the beverage credit, 8 or more it's a percentage discount, from what I read. Maybe I missed something.

Well, the OP said "and", but either way, a $30 credit is enough to almost buy a bottle of wine for the table. Regardless, it makes no SENSE.

I think the demographic they are looking at is 'families'. Parents travelling with children or extended relatives. Not couples. It is pretty expensive paying for 4, 5 or 6 covers when you want to have dinner as a family. We usually do a specialty only once a cruise as it is $100 extra, plus extra tip.

Don't you think those that are going to book it as families are already doing it? As I said previously, this is a weird marketing tool. As a previous poster said, if you can't afford $30 as a couple why are you cruising? I didn't realize eating in the specialty restaurants was an entitlement.

Edited by BND

Don't you think those that are going to book it as families are already doing it? As I said previously, this is a weird marketing tool. As a previous poster said, if you can't afford $30 as a couple why are you cruising? I didn't realize eating in the specialty restaurants was an entitlement.

No, I don't think they're already doing it. As I said before, my family of 5 usually only books 1 specialty because it is $100 or more. This might get bigger parties, or more families, to book because there is an incentive.

No, I don't think they're already doing it. As I said before, my family of 5 usually only books 1 specialty because it is $100 or more. This might get bigger parties, or more families, to book because there is an incentive.

So, family of 4 who normally wouldn't go, will if it costs them $120, but they get $30 BEVERAGE credit? Really? Most families I know have soda cards for their kids so that won't save them anything. I don't think it's going to work the way RCI thinks it might.

My DH and I only book 1 specialty. You're not the group they're trying to lure. It's the people who NEVER book and I don't think this will do it.

You get price adjustments after final, and we don't. That's a nice feature.

I knew someone would have to bring this up. However, the loss of deposit or not in the US case and no charge for changing staterooms, or sailings is a bigger bonus for you guys in the US. Anyway, this isn't relevant to the this thread, it was used as another example of unfair pricing practice IMHO.

I totally agree, during all our visits to either Portofino or Chops on any ship which we have sailed on, the majority of tables are set for 2.

So, family of 4 who normally wouldn't go, will if it costs them $120, but they get $30 BEVERAGE credit? Really? Most families I know have soda cards for their kids so that won't save them anything. I don't think it's going to work the way RCI thinks it might.

My DH and I only book 1 specialty. You're not the group they're trying to lure. It's the people who NEVER book and I don't think this will do it.

They could get a bottle of wine or drinks; they don't have to purchase soda.

If it's such a dumb deal, why are you all whining that you can't get it :confused:

Has the world gone crazy looking for deals, of course. No more so than my friends in the US IMHO. No charge for changing staterooms, no loss of deposit, price drops, state specials, I could go on. Do we get them over here in the UK? No.

I knew someone would have to bring this up. However, the loss of deposit or not in the US case and no charge for changing staterooms, or sailings is a bigger bonus for you guys in the US. Anyway, this isn't relevant to the this thread, it was used as another example of unfair pricing practice IMHO.

But you brought it into the discussion first :confused:

I don't understand your method of argument, either.

Just sounds silly over $15 for a couple. Get over it.

They could get a bottle of wine or drinks; they don't have to purchase soda.

If it's such a dumb deal, why are you all whining that you can't get it :confused:

No one is "whining". We are simply questioning this not very logical idea.

The wine vs soda was just an example. The bigger point is, it's not going to attract any new people because it's not going to really save a family money if they think it's too expensive to begin with. That's all. A beverage credit for people who think the whole idea of spending extra on a restaurant is dumb or expensive will not bring them in.

As you said, you go once with your family. Most people onboard who go, only go one time so I doubt most people who go once will go twice. If anything people who usually go once will just try to go for this deal which will bring in less revenue. I don't think we'll see this last very long.

You have to wonder who is doing their marketing and where did they get their degree.

Edited by BND

But you brought it into the discussion first :confused:

I don't understand your method of argument, either.

Just sounds silly over $15 for a couple. Get over it.

I didn't bring up the other deals issue first actually.

And I don't appreciate being told to 'get over it' just because you don't agree. Let's agree to disagree. I object to the pricing, you don't.

Do not get me started on issues that I find completely ridiculous that are debated on these boards ad infinitum, but nobody tells those people to 'get over it'. Rude.

Edited by peteukmcr

You might be surprised how many folks will spend money they hadn't planned on spending, just because it will get them something for "FREE" (like buying two T-shirts they really don't want because one is free). Most businesses make decisions that really don't gain them what was expected. In that case one moves on and tries something different. When the "new idea" does produce (or hopefully exceeds expectations) just smile all the way to the bank. :D

Ray in NH

Edited by Ray in NH

Hi

Been online booking wine package, and anniversary decorations etc..

As a treat I wanted to book a meal in Potofino's or Choips for our Anniversary too, but while viewing I saw these new Celebration Dinning Packages, reduced Cost & free $30 beverage voucher, sounds a good deal until you read small print.. 4 Passenger or more? Then there was another deal for 8 to 10 passengers?

Are couples not wanted anymore by RCI? surely they could have adapted the offer to suit couples (ie, Half the $30 voucher to $15 etc..)

I now feel I begrudge paying full price on day 1 or 2, as everyone else in the restaurant will be paying a reduced rate, plus free drinks.

Does anyone else find this unfair or is it just me??

Thanks

Solo travelers have to pay for two. Families with five have to book two cabins. You need at least eight to book the Presidential Suite. You have to have a lot of disposable income to book the Royal Suite, or a buy a Rolls Royce. You have to be over a certain age to get a driver's license. You have to be under a certain age to join the kids club. Cruise lines offer special fares to people that live near the ports. People in suites get special seating areas. You can't go on a zip line if you weigh too much - or too little.

Welcome to the world we live in. No one said life was fair. There are other cruise lines if Royal Caribbean doesn't suit you.

Edited by Cuizer2

You might be surprised how many folks will spend money they hadn't planned on spending, just because it will get them something for "FREE" (like buying two T-shirts they really don't want because one is free). Most businesses make decisions that really don't gain them what was expected. In that case one moves on and tries something different. When the "new idea" does produce (or hopefully exceeds expectations) just smile all the way to the bank. :D

Ray in NH

I'm not surprised by people who spend money they didn't plan on, but that tends to be impulse purchases, like t-shirts. Specialty restaurants are not impulse buys.