Genoa or Portofino tour

TDOTCRUISR

Definatlely try Portofino. Our last cruise started and finished in Genoa. On disembarking we drove to Rapallo (about 40mins drive from the port if I remember correctly). Lovely shops/cafes/some resturaunts and a Marina in Rapallo and from there there was a little boat over to Portofino. Truly beautiful!

As we only drove through Genoa I cannot really pass comment - perhaps someone else can help? The drive was lovely anyway as we made our way to Rappallo/Portofino. Enjoy!

Genoa is a very nice city with good food. It is more industrial. Don't pass on the opportunity to spend time in Portofino! It is one of the most scenic spots in the world. Sit outside and eat, drink and be merry. People watch, shop and take lots of pictures.:D

Thanks 2cruiseagain! Based on your opinion & Jo42's, I'll pick the Portofino tour. Now my only concern is that the tour will be available. I was reading on other sites that Costa sometimes will cancel tours if there are not enough bookings. I don't mind if they tack us onto another group & have an English-speaking guide available, but will be very disappointed if they cancel it totally. I guess travelling to Europe at the beginning of the season makes this more probable. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for another week till boarding.

Even if the tour is cancelled you could quite safely 'do it yourself' and be back in time for sailing at 1700.

Have a great time. We wont be doing Porotofino this year as we fly in and out of Milan and will have to transfer direct to the airport .

I wonder what the “Tour” from Costa would be. To me, it is a shopping area that has a couple of scenic spots and some good restaurants. I think there is a Church high on a hill that you can walk to that is open to the public. I haven’t done it before, but it looks like the view would be incredible. Be sure to get the gelato there. Stracciatella (chocolate chip) is my favorite.:D

Trying to decide on which tour to take: Genoa or Portofino. Anyone seen both places & have any suggestions/comparisons? If not, I would appreciate some feedback on either one. Thanks!

I have been to Portofino several times and was just in Genoa for the first tije three months ago. They are very different places. Portofino is a very expensive resort town with overpriced hotels and restaurants. It is undeniable beautiful but I would not want to spend very much time there. Genoa is a major port city and has all the positives and negatives that go along with that.

Portofino is small and compact and great for window shopping, people watching, gelato and coffee breaks. It is easy to stroll the narrow streets and to climd the hills for panoramic views.

I arrived by train into Genoa from Florence and studied a street map before venturing out. I walked from the train station to the aquarium and spent a few hours there. Then I walked along the waterfront and found a place for an outdoor seafood lunch.

I found Genoa quite interesting and would like to visit there again. I am not a tour person and prefer to discover a place on my own. I also speak some Italian so am comfortable venturing forth on my own.

Archived