What should I do about boarding assistance?

bluehenfan

I use to manage with a cane, but my illness has gotten progressively worse, to the point I have a lot of pain if I stand in lines, pain actually not as bad if I'm moving but within a few mins. I have a balance problem and get very wobbly and have to sit down . For this reason I feel I need assistance boarding and will have scooter waiting in modified cabin. My problem is, I'm traveling with my 78 y.o. aunt who has bad knees and can't do steps. She also has some issues with her back, but even with these problems she's in better shape then me, but not by much. She refuses any kind of assistance (I offered to rent her a scooter too but she said no ! ) .Sitting there, I look the picture of health and young enough to be her daughter. I feel terrible having assisted boarding with her hobbling along to keep up. I am thinking about trying to board unassisted and just my cane, but don't want our trip to start out with me falling flat on my face. LOL! What would you do ? Has anyone had a similar problem? All this cane and scooter business is relatively new to me. Got a scooter on my last cruise as health problem had just started to slow me down. I was with my 2 teenage Gr.kids so I didn't feel awkward riding while they walked. My Aunt is 20 yrs. older than me. Guess I shouldn't care what others think, but I do. Thank you for any suggestions .

if there is a chance you may need a wheelchair for boarding request BEFORE you get to your ship. call the cruise line as soon as you are booked or now and ask to speak with the special needs department. request boarding assistance and they will note the record. if you dont need it when you get to the pier then board as usual. you do not need to notify the cruise line if you will not be using assistance.

It is perfectly fine for someone who is frail to try and manage as best your aunt can. Most of us try to minimise our problems and the impact of it on others. Unfortunately, some of us can be a little too stubborn in this regard, which is what it sounds like you are up against.

But you must do what is best for you. A cruise isn't much fun if you fall over and break a wrist before even boarding. As enyliram says, you should request assistance well in advance.

There is almost always some help available at the port for your aunt if she finds herself beyond her limits on the day. The fact that you are in a chair will shorten the queue for you both anyway. If you feel good on the day and she doesn't, you can always swap!

I try to walk whenever I can, but always use my wheelchair when boarding a ship. The risk of a problem is just too great to do otherwise.

Thank you all for your input. As suggested, I have put in a request for assistance when boarding with my PVP. She said she made note of it on our reservation and told me to just mention it to port worker at entrance to building and someone would bring a wheelchair to me there. Wish you all happy cruising !!

Food for thought...

Please note that there may be other people who have also requested assistance boarding. Patience is a must in this case, since there may be other people using said wheelchair. I always go expecting to take an hour to get through the line for wheelchair assistance. Anything less than that makes me a seriously happy gal! Anything more, well, that is just the way life goes sometimes.

Positive Mental Attitude is always welcome.

Safe Journey and smooth sailin'!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived