Any tips for a vegetarian?

This will be my first time cruising as a Vegetarian. (new Vegetarian since December) My cruise is next week. I remember vegetarian options each day in the dining room in the past. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice for me? Any recommendations on food items not to miss? Anything to skip?

Thank you. I already told my TA to request a Vegetarian diet but I know that you do not really have to.

Lately, almost all cruise lines have made significant changes in this area and RCCL was actually at forefront of it.

There are plenty of vegererian choices (on all RCCL ships) even beyond usual salads and fruits in MDR (although Windjammer had shockingly few choices)

In MDR, there are usually copule of vegeterian choices in starters. There is also a horrible BAD TASTELESS Indian dish every day. But there are also some other not so bad vegeterian options too (especuially on 7 night cruise)

If you search this board, someone else had done a great review for Vegan food.

If you are vegeterian and sailibg Allure, recommend avoiding Rita's Cantina. (This supposedly Mexican place will serve you cold tasteless indian food brought from MDR!!)

Another suggestion: Check with youe Waiter if they will serve you authentic food from crew's mess. In all our past cruises with various lines (including RCCL), this was the best food optioon while at seas. However, at recent trip on Allure, we were told that that practice has been banned n RCCL (although our friends sailing on different RCCL ship during the same week were served extremely delicious food broght crews quarters. So I guess it depends on your waiter or dinning room manager or particular ship but worth asking.

If one's idea of vegeterian is salad, pizza, bread, fruits and pasta then obvioulsy you will not have any issues as choices in those categories are plenty.

On Allure/Oasis, until 6 pm, Park Cafe provide some excellent vegeterian salad/dandwich alternatives.

Hi, I'm vegetarian and have never had any problem finding something on the menu. I disagree with hal 2008 about the curries - I really enjoy them. You can ask your waiter to bring extra chilli if you like it a bit spicier. There's always at least 1 non-curry option for entree main and desert. Windjammer buffet always has heaps of vegetarian salad options and as a salad lover it suits me but the MDR buffet lunch is better. As a vegetarian I think you need to go with the flow a bit more and I'm always ready to make do but rarely feel like that on RCL. We've had great waiters that bring out the odd vegetarian surprise too. The nicest meal I've had was on Splendour last year - the gruyere tart was perfect. Good luck.

Hi, I'm vegetarian and have never had any problem finding something on the menu. I disagree with hal 2008 about the curries - I really enjoy them. You can ask your waiter to bring extra chilli if you like it a bit spicier. There's always at least 1 non-curry option for entree main and desert. Windjammer buffet always has heaps of vegetarian salad options and as a salad lover it suits me but the MDR buffet lunch is better. As a vegetarian I think you need to go with the flow a bit more and I'm always ready to make do but rarely feel like that on RCL. We've had great waiters that bring out the odd vegetarian surprise too. The nicest meal I've had was on Splendour last year - the gruyere tart was perfect. Good luck.

Glad that you enjoyed those "curries".

I would probably agree that that tasetless stuff was made more for people who call them as "curries" and think that adding extra chilli to indian food after dish is served is an aceptable solution.

There is difference between "finding something" so as not to remian hungry vs finding something that you can enjoy. There is plenty of pasta, pizza, bread, salad, fruits alternatives throughout every RCCL ship so as not to go hungry for a vegeterian.

There is pasta alternative everyday and sometimes some other vegeterian alternative too. You may want to request if they can serve you from crews' kitchen as that is usually authentic food. (Most cruise lines including some RCCL ships accomodate that request)

My Hubby is Vegi too, He's never had a problem filling his plate on RCI.

In fact he loves it, say's it's like a Banquet every night.

Even Johhny Rockets do Vegi Patties! :)

I'm Diabetic and I have a great choice of food too,, Mmmm Suger free Cookies and Key Lime Pie :p

I don't think you will have any trouble finding acceptable options. If there is something you want, ask. If there is something you want modified, ask. Worst case scenario is they say no, most likely they will be able to accomodate your request.

Be careful of the desserts. Seemingly innocent pies can actually contain gelatin which is made from bones so it is not suitable for vegetarians.

Well done for taking the plunge though. I have been a veggi for 15 years and it really is not that difficult.

Archived