aqua class and main dining room

ticktalker

I have just contacted Celebrity to book a cruise, but the only available cabins at the right level are Aqua class.

The problem is that we would prefer to dine in the main dining room, at 6.15pm at a table for 8, but as an Aqua guest we are automatically allocated to Blu.

I spoke to a Celebrity booking rep, and he advised that although it was not guaranteed, it should be OK to arrange when on-board.

This is a deal breaker, and I don't want to arrive on-board to find I can't change.

Has anyone done this.

hi, we have been in aqua class twice and loved it. the blu restuarant is out of this world. you will be able to get a table for 8 . you can dine between 6 to 9pm. we book aqua because of blu. there are several courses and you can always add to these. i always have a side salad and baked potato daily. you get a lot of extras with aqua. dont forget to go to the persian garden. it is free and so relaxing. enjoy your cruise.

Hi, we went on the Eclipse 2 weeks ago, we were Concierge Class and my parents were Aqua. They wanted to dine with us a few times during the week, so on embarkation day we talked to the Maitre'd and he had us come to him the nights we wanted to do this and he got a table for us. My parents weren't sure about Blu and ended up loving it by the way, they only came with us to the Main Dining room twice :)

It would be a deal breaker for us also.Tried agua and Blu once on the Solstice didn't like it. My DH is very easy to please and very seldom vetoes anything but absolutely refuses to do Blu again due to the food,the service and refusal of simple requests. No flames please,this is our opinion.

I have just contacted Celebrity to book a cruise, but the only available cabins at the right level are Aqua class.

The problem is that we would prefer to dine in the main dining room, at 6.15pm at a table for 8, but as an Aqua guest we are automatically allocated to Blu.

I spoke to a Celebrity booking rep, and he advised that although it was not guaranteed, it should be OK to arrange when on-board.

This is a deal breaker, and I don't want to arrive on-board to find I can't change.

Has anyone done this.

I don't understand the "right level" comment. On S class ships AQ is basically the same cabin as a veranda cabin. The major benefit is Blu while the other benefits are minimal. Blu is anytime dining so you may eat at 6:15P.M every night. You did not indicate if you just want a table for 8 because you are eating with someone else or just want a table for 8. The tables in Blu are very close and it is easy to converse with others if you are not traveling with companions.

I gave up on Blu on my first ship.. not enough large tables and i prefer then in the MDR or other venues.. the next 2 S class ships i ate all over but never in Blu. next year i am in a suite but AQ. will be eating with 5 other people again all over the ship.

I don't understand the "right level" comment. On S class ships AQ is basically the same cabin as a veranda cabin. The major benefit is Blu while the other benefits are minimal. Blu is anytime dining so you may eat at 6:15P.M every night. You did not indicate if you just want a table for 8 because you are eating with someone else or just want a table for 8. The tables in Blu are very close and it is easy to converse with others if you are not traveling with companions.

Right level means that I couldn't get a suitable Concierge Class cabin, and the Aqua seemed a good (only) option. The major issue is that we like traditional dining - i.e. MDR at 6.15, and would like to sit at a table with 6 other guests.

From photos, and a youtube video, the Blu restaurant seems that the "two seater" tables are squashed together which I don't really find comfortable.

You know, you're going to end up getting 15 different opinions about whether you can eat in the MDR or eat only in Blu. I was in the same "boat" for our upcoming cruise. While, as AQ, we will eat in Blu, we also wanted the flexibility to eat in the MDR whenever we wanted, so I prepaid my gratuities and choose Select Dining. Wrong! After numerous calls to Celebrity and many posts here it became apparent that my thinking was against Celebrity's policy. As it was explained to me, AQ means that your default dining is in Blu. You cannot choose Select Dining. You must choose early or late MDR seating. If you want to dine in the MDR while on the cruise you must ASK someone for permission to do so. They will usually accomodate your request.

I hope this helps. If I were you, at this point, I would prepay my gratuities and go with the Select Dining option which will in effect put you into the MDR as your default. When you go to the dining room you can request a table for 8.

Good luck. I'm sure it will all work out.

Right level means that I couldn't get a suitable Concierge Class cabin, and the Aqua seemed a good (only) option. The major issue is that we like traditional dining - i.e. MDR at 6.15, and would like to sit at a table with 6 other guests.

From photos, and a youtube video, the Blu restaurant seems that the "two seater" tables are squashed together which I don't really find comfortable.

Thanks for answering, it appears your only problem is eating at a table for 8 since Blu is anytime dining. I personally would not pay a lot of money extra for AQ and give up Blu for that reason however it is your cruise, your money so do as you wish, only you can make that decision. Enjoy, no matter what you do. Although I respect opinions such as Teajak most find eating in Blu like eating in a specialty dining room every night.

One other point, if you eat in the MDR you may ask for a table for eight under the Select dining area however it will be a different table and different people every night.

You absolutely may choose to eat in the main dining room ever night at whatever time you wish, instead of dining in Blu. Did jus that last month. We had Select Dining and ate either at 7:00 in the main dining room or in a specialty restaurant.

One other point, if you eat in the MDR you may ask for a table for eight under the Select dining area however it will be a different table and different people every night.

I've been "booking" on various sites right up to the point where they give the price and then ask for passenger details. For Concierge (not suitable, but just to get a price) I was given three dining options ,Traditional dining at either 6.15 or 8.30, and select.

Contacted Celebrity a short time ago, and spoke to the reservations adviser I had spoken to earlier. Same as reganab1979 - can't be changed, I'd need to ask when aboard.

So, thinking caps on again.

Thanks for all you help.

I've been "booking" on various sites right up to the point where they give the price and then ask for passenger details. For Concierge (not suitable, but just to get a price) I was given three dining options ,Traditional dining at either 6.15 or 8.30, and select.

Contacted Celebrity a short time ago, and spoke to the reservations adviser I had spoken to earlier. Same as reganab1979 - can't be changed, I'd need to ask when aboard.

Thanks for all you help.

Those "reservation advisers" can leave a little bit to be desired. Once you are booked into an AQ cabin, there is an Aqua Class Helpline. The number is 800-590-6221. They are VERY helpful concerning your wishes about dining in the MDR and seem to understand what is actually needed. Don't give up. You're paying a lot for this cruise and you deserve to have what you want.

Those "reservation advisers" can leave a little bit to be desired. Once you are booked into an AQ cabin, there is an Aqua Class Helpline. The number is 800-590-6221. They are VERY helpful concerning your wishes about dining in the MDR and seem to understand what is actually needed. Don't give up. You're paying a lot for this cruise and you deserve to have what you want.

I wholeheartedly agree with this advise! The reservation desk agents are clueless and will likely just tell you what you want to hear to end the call!

The Celebrity EXPERIENCE COORDINATION (CEC) team is very customer service oriented and provide full service to address the pre boarding concerns of Aqua CC and Suite guests(up to 45 days prior to sailing)..However even they could not arrange my special occasion(30th Anniversary celebration ) select dining reservation in MDR as an Aqua guest who wished to join nonAQUA MEMBERS of my family. Their best advise was to try to arrange it once on board (they did however provide OBC for $160 for specialty dining to address my frustration with X policy regarding select dining in aqua)!

Thanks for all you help.

What ship are you looking at...

Just thought I'd update the posting.

Given the difficulties and uncertainty of combining Aqua with MDR, and also having read some Cruise Critic reviews regarding the overhang above the Aqua cabins, we have booked a Concierge cabin away from the overhang.

Hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks for all you comments, they were very helpful.

Archived