Lisbon cruise ship terminal Holland America to Belem

Havevmany people used lisboa cards ? Where can you collect from if coming into jtab ?

Closest place to Jtab to pick-up your Lisboa card is:

•Lisboa Wellcome Center

Plaza del Comercio.

I, personally, have not used the Lisboa Card. Seems a waste of money for just a port stop ... would be beneficial if staying in Lisbon pre/post cruise. Of course, different strokes for different folks.

Havevmany people used lisboa cards ? Where can you collect from if coming into jtab ?

If you are docking at JTab, it's a 10-15 minute walk. We were however relocated to the dock under the bridge so it took a $7e cab ride.

The Lisboa card worked for us as all the things we wanted to see was in the same area and we did it all and was back by the ship area around 2:30pm. We probably had time to see a couple of other sites but DW wanted to shop .

Is it worth it?

transit to Belem Tower $3e

Belem Tower Admission $5e

Discoveries monument 30% discount $1e

Jeronimos monastary $8e

Coach Museum $5e

transit back to ship $3e

$25e worth and we didn't have to mess with carrying extra euros and paying with exact change on the trams. (didn't want to fiddle with my wallet because of pickpockets) If it wasn't raining we would of used transit as a HOHO from Belem back to the ship. RECOMMENDED!

Here's an excerpt from my journal as I have listed instruction for future reference.

November 7, 2012 We received our wake-up call at 7:30 am and dragged ourselves up to breakfast. When we finally got it together and headed off the ship at 9:30 it was overcast with the threat of showers. We had to make our way to the Lisbon Welcome centre at Commerce Plaza to pick up our Lisboa cards which I ordered on line. The card allows us free admission to 27 attractions as well as transit fare for a 24 hour period. We took tram 15e to the Belem Tower and spent an hour touring the site. We climbed the narrow staircase to the top rampart and it was a bit claustrophobic in the tight quarters. After an hour touring the sight we headed for the Monument of the Discoveries. It was such a beautiful structure and we were so impressed with the carvings. Our next planned site was the Jeronimos Monastery as it was listed as a must see on trip Adviser. We didn’t know much about it before our visit but it was pretty spectacular in its gothic glory. On our way to the national coach museum we stopped and purchased a couple of Portuguese egg tarts which apparently are a must have when in Portugal. They are similar to Chinese egg tarts but I find the pastry better. They serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar. Delicious! The Coach Museum was like the Royal Mews in London. Portuguese royalty must of loved coaches as there were so many in the museum. On completion of our visit we took bus #714 back towards the cruise terminal shortly after 2:00 pm. We arrived at the pier area earlier than we expected so we took a stroll down the waterfront boardwalk and stopped at a restaurant to use their free Wi-Fi. I got wired on an Americano, an Espresso, and tiramisu. We decided to head back on board at 4:00 pm as we wanted to be on deck for the sail away. The harbour area in Lisbon is spectacular and it’s actually too bad that it was foggy and misty. Many were disappointed that we couldn’t see the statue of Jesus on the Redeemer monument.

Belem Tower or the Tower of St Vincent is a fortified tower located in the municipality of Lisbon, Portugal. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of the significant role it played in the Portuguese maritime discoveries of the era of the Age of Discoveries. The tower was commissioned by King John II to be part of a defense system at the mouth of the Tagus River and a ceremonial gateway to Lisbon.

Monument of the Discoveries is built on the north bank of the Tagus River in 1960 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the death of Prince Henry the Navigator.

It represents a three-sailed ship ready to depart, with sculptures of important historical figures such as King Manuel I carrying an armillary sphere, poet Camões holding verses from The Lusiads, Vasco da Gama, Magellan, Cabral, and several other notable Portuguese explorers, crusaders, monks, cartographers, and cosmographers, following Prince Henry the Navigator at the prow holding a small vessel. The only female is queen Felipa of Lancaster, mother of Henry the navigator, the brain of the discoveries.

Inside is an exhibition space with temporary exhibits, an interesting film about the city of Lisbon, and an elevator that takes visitors to the top for some bird's-eye views of Belem and its monuments.

The pavement in front of the monument is decorated with a mosaic that was offered by the South African government in 1960, representing a compass with the map of the world charting the routes taken by the Portuguese explorers.

The Jeronimos Monastery is the most impressive symbol of Portugal's power and wealth during the Age of Discovery. King Manuel I built it in 1502 on the site of a hermitage founded by Prince Henry the Navigator, where Vasco da Gama and his crew spent their last night in Portugal in prayer before leaving for India. It was built to commemorate Vasco Da Gama's voyage and to give thanks to the Virgin Mary for its success. Vasco da Gama's tomb was placed inside by the entrance, as was the tomb of poet Luis de Camões, Other great figures in Portuguese history are also entombed here, like King Manuel and King Sebastião, and poets Fernando Pessoa and Alexandre Herculano. The monastery was populated by monks of the Order of Saint Jerome (Hieronymites). It is one of the great triumphs of European Gothic (UNESCO has classified it a World Heritage monument), with much of the design characterized by elaborate sculptural details and maritime motifs. The cloisters are magnificent, each column differently carved with coils of rope, sea monsters, coral, and other sea motifs evocative of that time of world exploration at sea. Here is also the entrance to the former refectory that has beautiful reticulated vaulting and tile decoration on the walls depicting the Biblical story of Joseph. The church interior is spacious with octagonal piers richly decorated with reliefs, and outside is a garden laid out in 1940 consisting of hedges cut in the shape of various municipal coats of arms of Portugal. In the center is a large fountain also decorated with coats of arms, often illuminated on special occasions.

The National Coach Museum has one of the finest collections of historical carriages in the world, being one of the most visited museums of the city. The museum is housed in the old Horse Riding Arena of the Belém Palace, formerly a Royal Palace which is now the official residence of the President of Portugal. The Horse Riding Area was built after 1787 following the Neoclassical design of Italian architect Giacomo Azzolini. Several Portuguese artists decorated the interior of the building with paintings and tile (azulejo) panels. The inner arena is 50 m long and 17 m wide, and was used for training horses and for horse riding exhibitions and games, which could be watched from its balconies by the Portuguese royal family. The museum was created in 1905 by Queen Amélia to house an extensive collection of carriages belonging to the Portuguese royal family and nobility. The collection gives a full picture of the development of carriages from the late 16th through the 19th centuries, with carriages made in Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, Austria and England.

• 3 months later...
How can we tell where P&O's Azura will dock on 15th October please?

Your ship's docking location is not yet listed on the port website. On Sept. 10th, the Azura will dock at Apolonia Jusante ... don't know if the same location will be assigned for Oct 15th.

If you check the port website next month, your docking location will be assigned. :)

Below is the link:

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO

I know I'm probably being optimistic, but is there a code anywhere here to show where Azura will dock on 15th October?

Would it be listed under 'Quay' I wonder? http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO

Would it be listed in a code under quay when it does appear?

Antiga Confeitaria de Belem, Lisbon

Creamy, flaky custard tarts – served warm with cinnamon – are one of Portugal's great culinary gifts to the world. The original pasteis café in the Belém district of Lisbon, next to the monastery where the dessert was invented, is still the best: their secret recipe has been guarded since 1837. Sit down with a plateful, and a strong coffee, and you'll understand why more than 10,000 tarts are baked here every day.

Rua de Belém, 84-92, Belém, Lisbon, 00351 21 363 7423

I can personally attest to this..the cafe is huge so don't be put off if there is a line.

I know I'm probably being optimistic, but is there a code anywhere here to show where Azura will dock on 15th October?

Would it be listed under 'Quay' I wonder? http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO

Would it be listed in a code under quay when it does appear?

Yes, the docking "code" will be listed under quay.

TPA = Alcantara

TPR = de Rocha

TPSA = St Apolonia

TPSAJ = St Apolonia Jusante

JTab = Jardim do Tabaco

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that our ship is docking at TPSA = St.Applolonia- I cannot find that dock on our map of Lisbon though I can find Santa Applolonia station is it near that?

How can we get to Belem from there?

Thanks

Chris and Bron

Chris and Bron:

Here is your dock:

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/PORTO_LISBOA/PORT_FACILITIES/CRUISE_LINER_TERMINALS/SANTA_APOLONIA_CRUISE_LINER_TERMINAL/Localiza%E7%E3o%20do%20Terminal%20de%20Cruzeiros%20de%20Santa%20Apol%F3nia.jpg

Yes, the docking "code" will be listed under quay.

TPA = Alcantara

TPR = de Rocha

TPSA = St Apolonia

TPSAJ = St Apolonia Jusante

JTab = Jardim do Tabaco

Wahay!! October docks are now listed and we are scheduled for Alcantara so will be able to follow your directions and have a great day out just as you did. Thank you so much for all your help, Dogs4fun :)

Having studied all the helpful posts on this forum, I had the route from Alcantara to Belem all worked out, only to now find out that we're docking at Jardim do Tabaco! So can someone help with a couple of questions, please. I know that I have to take the 728 bus. Can someone please tell me how much the current fare is and confirm that you can buy the ticket on the bus. Also, I know the tram 15E goes via Praco do Comercio. Does the bus do the same, or does it go via a different route?

Having studied all the helpful posts on this forum, I had the route from Alcantara to Belem all worked out, only to now find out that we're docking at Jardim do Tabaco! So can someone help with a couple of questions, please. I know that I have to take the 728 bus. Can someone please tell me how much the current fare is and confirm that you can buy the ticket on the bus. Also, I know the tram 15E goes via Praco do Comercio. Does the bus do the same, or does it go via a different route?

Your bus stop at Jardim do Tobaco is Casa Conto. Bus 728 does stop at Praco do Comercio (you can also walk from port to Praco). You can purchase your bus tickets onboard the bus (have some small bills or change). Your fare one way is € 1,80.

The route for #728 can be found on the Carris site:

http://www.carris.pt/en/buslines/

All 2013 fares can be found here:

http://www.carris.pt/en/base-fees/

Archived