It's raining price reductions!!!

So about 2 months ago I was feeling a little down... wondering how all of you get your many many price drops... in 5 years since I started cruising, all I have ever seen was the price of our cruises go up....

Until this year. I have 2 cruises booked for this year... a 3 nighter with my daughters and wife, and then our customary 7 nighter for our anniversary...

First price drop came on the 3 nighter. We were just gonna all flop in an outside cabin on the Monarch because it was a "sleep only" cabin. Got a price drop substantial enough that I could move the girls to their own inside cabin! Yippee!! Finally a price drop.

Second price drop came a couple of weeks later for our September cruise on the Freedom. 100 bucks per person on our D1 (cabin 1400, no less!) Very exciting.

Well, sitting on the couch this afternoon I decided to check again... and saw another drop... 20 bucks for the Freedom cruise.. tried to decide if I was gonna call to get it, when I remembered a wise post from a cruisecritic member about just such an issue.. uh DUH, yes, call about it... that's like 2 drinks, man!!

So I call to get the reduction... the Certified Vacation Planner at Royal informs me that there is not a 20 dollar reduction.... there is a 220.00 reduction! I said, are you sure??? He told me the price of the cabin... I asked him to confirm that this was not a cabin class reduction, that I would still have D1, 1400.. he said "yep"... so I said DO IT!! DO IT NOW!!!

So after he drops the price, he emails me the invoice... and it quotes the price he says...

I go to the website and see that for that cruising, the D1 is priced lower that all the other balconies... E2, E1, all MORE EXPENSIVE.... I figure, this must be a mistake... a computer glitch or something...

I check a couple hours later, and my price is still the same, but when I go through the booking process again, the D1 is now back in it's normal hierarchy in the pricing, and is 220 more expensive than I paid (or the price before this latest "drop")

I am thinking that I got really really lucky and nailed a computer glitch, because Royal Caribbean's system is really buggy (100,998 per person cruise anyone??)

So this long story is a set up to a very simple question: If I did indeed hit a glitch, what are the chances of them taking that rate away from me? Has anyone ever had that happen????

Thanks!

I don't think it was a computer glitch at all. I have seen this phenomenon many times. I think their computer programs oversee the sales and when a certain category is not selling so well, the program reduces the price temporarily until a certain percentage of cabins are sold. I have seen prices drop many times for just a 3-6 hour window and then go back up.

Price drops that you receive confirmation on, are in fact, the price that you will pay, when the day comes to make final payment.

They won't take it away from you. It's confirmed in writing!!

Congratulations on the windfall!!:);)

Rick

Price drops that you receive confirmation on, are in fact, the price that you will pay, when the day comes to make final payment.

They won't take it away from you. It's confirmed in writing!!

Congratulations on the windfall!!:);)

Rick

Yeah, it's not like an aft balcony cabin is it?

It might be the same amount, they just move the decimal point.:eek:

You got it, you're keepin it. I have seen the price change before my eyes when on the phone with the agent!:eek: If you start the process before it changes, they will honor what you have been discussing.

Don't worry, just accept the boone! Congrats.

Now just think of the other reductions you missed in the past.....:eek::D

Seafish, never noticed an adjustment, but the taxes might, the port fees stay the same, I think, right Rick?

Yeah, it's not like an aft balcony cabin is it?

You betcha it is an AFT balcony. Deck 10, right on the corner.... I wouldnt' take a Suite upgrade in place of this cabin!!

Thanks for all the replies. I suspected that they wouldn't revoke the fare... but remember what your father always told you... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.... hence the concern!

You got it, you're keepin it. I have seen the price change before my eyes when on the phone with the agent!:eek: If you start the process before it changes, they will honor what you have been discussing.

Don't worry, just accept the boone! Congrats.

Now just think of the other reductions you missed in the past.....:eek::D

Seafish, never noticed an adjustment, but the taxes might, the port fees stay the same, I think, right Rick?

Same here! I saw a price drop of $50.00 pp on a Celebrity Cruise I have booked. From the time I saw on the web site till I reached customer service, the price had gone back up! :(

After months and months of escalating prices someone in our Roll Call noticed there are insides for our Transatlantic now going for $599 for the 15 night cruise. Last minute fire sale. Of course last minute airfare back from Rome might be totally the other way. Insides have not been that low since booking opened up a year ago.

So about 2 months ago I was feeling a little down... wondering how all of you get your many many price drops... in 5 years since I started cruising, all I have ever seen was the price of our cruises go up....

Until this year. I have 2 cruises booked for this year... a 3 nighter with my daughters and wife, and then our customary 7 nighter for our anniversary...

First price drop came on the 3 nighter. We were just gonna all flop in an outside cabin on the Monarch because it was a "sleep only" cabin. Got a price drop substantial enough that I could move the girls to their own inside cabin! Yippee!! Finally a price drop.

Second price drop came a couple of weeks later for our September cruise on the Freedom. 100 bucks per person on our D1 (cabin 1400, no less!) Very exciting.

Well, sitting on the couch this afternoon I decided to check again... and saw another drop... 20 bucks for the Freedom cruise.. tried to decide if I was gonna call to get it, when I remembered a wise post from a cruisecritic member about just such an issue.. uh DUH, yes, call about it... that's like 2 drinks, man!!

So I call to get the reduction... the Certified Vacation Planner at Royal informs me that there is not a 20 dollar reduction.... there is a 220.00 reduction! I said, are you sure??? He told me the price of the cabin... I asked him to confirm that this was not a cabin class reduction, that I would still have D1, 1400.. he said "yep"... so I said DO IT!! DO IT NOW!!!

So after he drops the price, he emails me the invoice... and it quotes the price he says...

I go to the website and see that for that cruising, the D1 is priced lower that all the other balconies... E2, E1, all MORE EXPENSIVE.... I figure, this must be a mistake... a computer glitch or something...

I check a couple hours later, and my price is still the same, but when I go through the booking process again, the D1 is now back in it's normal hierarchy in the pricing, and is 220 more expensive than I paid (or the price before this latest "drop")

I am thinking that I got really really lucky and nailed a computer glitch, because Royal Caribbean's system is really buggy (100,998 per person cruise anyone??)

So this long story is a set up to a very simple question: If I did indeed hit a glitch, what are the chances of them taking that rate away from me? Has anyone ever had that happen????

Thanks!

Congrats to you!! I would have been thrilled! I usually check at least three times a day with a dummy booking...just to see. Only one previous cruise have we had a price drop and it was substantial ($430 per cabin for our D1 to Alaska!)...so I know realistically that probably won't happen again. So far we've fallen a staggering $5.30 per person (I know, where will I spend that kind of cash??)...but I have hope!! What IS falling are the D1 balcony rooms (we have promenade rooms now)...when we booked on board they were roughly $500 total per reservation more expensive, now they're only $330. If they fall to about $200 more, then we're going to jump on them and move.

Now if I could only find a solution to the pesky waiting game...ten months and one week to go. BLAH! :mad:

Keep in mind that sometimes a price reduction also amounts to a decrease in insurance if you drop below the cut off for different premiums when booking Insurance through Royal.

$1,501-$2,000pp is $119

$1,001-$1,500pp is $89

$501-$1,000pp is $59

0-$500 is $29

Love when that happens on top of a price drop :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Does this price reduction still stand if you book through an agent or do you have to book directly through rc to get the discounts?

Assuming you are in the USA, it applies to everyone (unless it is a special restricted sale). If the price decreases and you are before final payment, call your agent and have them call RCI and get you the price adjustment.

Your agent may have a policy regarding price changes, like a charging you a fee to make the call, or only making one change even if there are multiple price drops. If so, I wouldn't use that agent again.

If you are not in the USA, then there are different rules in different countries.

Archived