Just Back from Nassau....

bostonbill

I was told by a family member that Nassau was a big dud for a port to visit....boy was she wrong!!! Me and my teenagers had a blast!!! Got off the boat about 10am walked thru some shops on our way to Junkanoo beach, hung out for a couple of hours, went back to the ship for lunch(all the paces to eat were packed!) then did a great power boat excursion, Then to Senor frogs for drinks and apps and some serious shopping for my daughter.....our boat operator offered to take us to an authentic Bahamian bar for REAL Bahamian Conch fritters and cold beer but the kids wanted to do Senor Frogs.....Great Port....Friendly people!!!!

I was told by a family member that Nassau was a big dud for a port to visit....boy was she wrong!!! Me and my teenagers had a blast!!! Got off the boat about 10am walked thru some shops on our way to Junkanoo beach, hung out for a couple of hours, went back to the ship for lunch(all the paces to eat were packed!) then did a great power boat excursion, Then to Senor frogs for drinks and apps and some serious shopping for my daughter.....our boat operator offered to take us to an authentic Bahamian bar for REAL Bahamian Conch fritters and cold beer but the kids wanted to do Senor Frogs.....Great Port....Friendly people!!!!

did you book the excursion through ship or independently???

Independently....I used Island Mkting but he is available thru his own website bahamaboattours.com....I almost always go thru the ship but we were in port until 11:30pm so I knew there was no chance we's miss the ship

I think a lot of people that say that are the ones that get off the boat, walk down the street and turn around and come back...many that don't like it never make it more than a few blocks...we love it there and have been I want to say 8 times...coming up on number 9 in October...

How was the beach and water at Junkanoo? Is the water rocky? Would you need water shoes? How long did it take to walk there? Is it easy to get there? Will be there next week on Carnival.

2012 – Carnival Miracle – April – E. Caribbean

2012 – Carnival Conquest – Feb. – W. Caribbean

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – E. Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

Are you able to post any pics ?

The beach is called Junkanoo....just follow the signs..its no more than a 15 minute walk, beach is sandy, both water and beach are very clean. It's not a resort beach but it is probably the nicest 'city' beach I've ever been to. We shopped both coming and going to the beach...you'll end up doing the same...I haven't figured out how to get my pic's on here yet....feel free to go to my Facebook page( Bill Elder) I can make those pictures available to the public

Junkanoo looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/6512656375/in/set-72157628367367775

I can't believe it took me many cruises to Bahamas to finally walk over here. Nice relaxing beach, nice bar for drinks, beautiful view. When I go back with my best friends who have never cruised before - we're going here!

Junkanoo looks like this: Welcome to Junkanoo Beach, pt. 3

I can't believe it took me many cruises to Bahamas to finally walk over here. Nice relaxing beach, nice bar for drinks, beautiful view. When I go back with my best friends who have never cruised before - we're going here!

That's a really great picture! Thanks for sharing. :)

Junkanoo looks like this: Welcome to Junkanoo Beach, pt. 3

I agree with previous poster, that is such a beautiful picture. You should enter that in a photo contest! Thanks for sharing.

How was the beach and water at Junkanoo? Is the water rocky? Would you need water shoes? How long did it take to walk there? Is it easy to get there? Will be there next week on Carnival.

I would bring water shoes...I have heard of some broken glass on some parts of the beach...

I'll be in Nassau next month, sailing solo. I've been thinking about walking to the free Junkanoo Beach. Do you think it's safe walk for a solo female?

I was just there on April 16th, Very dissapointed, there are like 3 sections to the beach the first one that you see in pictures has very soft sand is crowded. the middle section has a very course sand full of bottle caps and broken glass, and as you get closer to the beach there are very rough shells that you would need water shoes to walk on. There was a couple of huts that sell beer and alcohol fairly cheap and restrooms that would make you hold it until you walk the 1 mile back to the ship.

We had a very large group (15) and was looking to save some money. We had done Atlantis before and didnt want to spend 25-40 dollars to swim at a beach hotel. If i was with a smaller group of 4-6 i would spend the money. Not worth the trip

I too love Nassau. I've done the Blue Lagoon, the Blackbeards Cay and the Sheritan, via the Jitney, and of all of them I'd go back to the Sheritan. Nassau didn't revolve around Atlantis until 10-15 years ago, see no reason for everyone to think that is the absolute Nassau destination. People are freindly, and the island beaches are great.:) Thanks for a positive review!

I'll be in Nassau next month, sailing solo. I've been thinking about walking to the free Junkanoo Beach. Do you think it's safe walk for a solo female?

I walked around solo while my husband and daughter were off doing a boat excursion. Absolutely safe! Plenty of people around, you can tell most were tourists. The day I went the beach was EMPTY. Maybe 3 small groups at the beach spread out. I stopped for fritters and beer right at the cement pier, close enough to hear the music, but far enough to not have it be so in-your-face.

I was just there on April 16th, Very dissapointed, there are like 3 sections to the beach the first one that you see in pictures has very soft sand is crowded. the middle section has a very course sand full of bottle caps and broken glass, and as you get closer to the beach there are very rough shells that you would need water shoes to walk on. There was a couple of huts that sell beer and alcohol fairly cheap and restrooms that would make you hold it until you walk the 1 mile back to the ship.

We had a very large group (15) and was looking to save some money. We had done Atlantis before and didnt want to spend 25-40 dollars to swim at a beach hotel. If i was with a smaller group of 4-6 i would spend the money. Not worth the trip

I also was in Nassau on 4-16-12 (Carnival Fantasy) and DH and I thought we'd walk down to Junkanoo Beach and spend some time. But, we lasted only long enough for DH to buy an ice cream bar and off we went. We've been to Nassau at least 8 times and love this port. It was our first time at Junkanoo and our last. We also were very disappointed with this beach. I couldn't walk barefoot at the water's edge--very rocky/glassy. It just wasn't our kind of beach. But, it looked like a lot of people liked it and we were the minority. For us, it's either the Sheraton or BCH or even Cabbage Beach from now on. One more thing--I feel very safe in Nassau, however, if I wouldn't advise going over to Junkanoo alone. Seriously. Spend $55 and go to the BCH and have a nice lunch and relaxing day on their property.

Archived