Cunard vs Azamara

ja940

We are a very active mid 50's couple and are trying to decide between 2 British Isles cruise in July 2012. We have to travel between 6/15 and 8/15 and have done almost all the itineraries that are offered at that time. The only ones we haven't done are the British Isles and the Black Sea. Have sailed for 30+ years on all the big lines and once on Oceania. We are looking for a step up in service and food. The 2 we are comparing are 7/28 Azamara Journey 12 night or the 7/24 Queen Elizabeth 14 night both British Isles. Any suggestions would be welcome. We have not sailed on either lines.

We are a very active mid 50's couple and are trying to decide between 2 British Isles cruise in July 2012. We have to travel between 6/15 and 8/15 and have done almost all the itineraries that are offered at that time. The only ones we haven't done are the British Isles and the Black Sea. Have sailed for 30+ years on all the big lines and once on Oceania. We are looking for a step up in service and food. The 2 we are comparing are 7/28 Azamara Journey 12 night or the 7/24 Queen Elizabeth 14 night both British Isles. Any suggestions would be welcome. We have not sailed on either lines.

Azamara Journey would be our pick. Fewer passengers. Capt Tysse is the best! Senior management has been with SeaDream and Seabourn. I could go on. Have not sailed QE but have recently sailed QV. Had a nice cruise and a full review is on this board. Just stating that if the itineraries are basically equal, I would take fewer passengers, more inclusive, better food, etc. Just one sailors opinion.:eek::D

I'd follow Jim's advice. We were on the same cruise on QV & he was able to explain to all of us the reasons for the rumbling we heard traveling along the inside of the QV. Much of the management from Cunard(in the past) has gone over to Saga cruises. Most of Cunard's day to day mgt. is from Princess cruises & they really don't fully know what it takes to provide a premium/luxury cruise experience.

Do you want a small ship (700 pax - Azamara) or a larger ship (2000 pax - Cunard)?

Do you want to bring Formalwear (Cunard) or do you prefer your entire vacation to be more casual (Azamara)?

Totally agree with Brian ... because I don't think you can't compare Azamara with Cunard :-)

Now honestly for a British Isle tour ... what could be nicer than sailing on Queen Elizabeth of Cunard? Some much style, history and the food is awesome. Especially their specialty restaurant the Verandah.

Just back from Transatlantic on QV and it was great! But went last year on QE to the Norwegian Fjords and it was even greater :-)

Also made a short Mediterranean cruise on Azamara last June-July but it was a total different experience, let's say more relaxed, country club style while on Cunard it would be much more formal.

The choice is yours but again ... for a British Isles Cruise ... I'll definitely go for QE! :-)

We have been cruising for many years also, did Azamara Quest Feb 2011, and Queen Victoria, Feb 2012, they are very different in size, but we feel that the service we received on the Quest was outstanding, lovely little ship with very attentive staff. Queen Victoria is very traditional cruising but was very disappointing, and quite frankly we found the whole experience a little dull, I think it is supposed to be better if you are in "grill", can't wait to go back to the Quest sometime soon.

See you're starting at one of the best ports on the itinerary.

Make sure that you give yourselves a few days in Edinburgh before joining the ship. A very safe city to explore with good, affordable public transport throughout the city and surrounding area. Lots of tours but a good guidebook and a day ticket giving unlimited travel on the 'Lothian' bus network (around $5 each) will get you to all the major sights in and around the city. The Scotrail trains will get you quickly to any destinations further afield.

Enjoy your cruise.

PS Many 'Lothian' bus route run to and from Leith Ocean Terminal.

Just got off a TA with Azamara. It is a completely different experience. I liked it very much, they do a very good job. more detail on both my QM2 and Azamara trips in the blog below.

My preference would be QM2 for another TA, Azamara would be a good choice for a cruise with more ports, especially a warm destination.

Rob

Archived