Laundry?

tobymonster

DH and I will be on a two week cruise, plus a few days before and after, so we'll be gone almost three weeks. We figure we'll have to end up doing laundry on the ship.

I know Celebrity doesn't have DIY laundry, but that you can send it out. Can someone who has used it give me some info on how they handle the laundry? Is it well done? Do they use fragrant detergent? (I'm really sensitive to scented stuff.) Will they pay attention to instructions on the clothes for things that shouldn't be dried, etc.?

Passengers have had mixed success in asking for special laundry treatment -- cold water, no dry, etc. I would say that if you are very sensitive, you would be better off bringing Woolite or some other cold water detergent, washing your own, and perhaps sending them out for ironing if they dry in too wrinkled a state.

Anything you send out, be prepared to lose... a sock here, a bra (or all 6) there. We are at the level where we get one bag per-cruise/per-person done for free and I still bring some Woolite and do most my own when on a sailing of 14 or more days.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Fran

i have used the laundry on Celebrity at lest two times on every cruise. I only wear cottons, linen. They come back nicely folded or on hangers and all my linen pants, shirts look like they have been ironed. No winkles. My fancy tops, i have had dry cleaned.

I have never had a problem. i now pack for only seven days and then rotate my wardrobe.

Undergarments I do myself ...and hang in the bathroom.

Also I have been known to buy some clothes while on a cruise.:)

We used the laundry on our last Celebrity cruise on the day when they had a discount. The laundry was nicely done. What I neglected to check was some of the neck and shoulder areas. They tend to write your cabin number on a seam selvage, but on a couple of tops the ink bled through onto the shirt near the neck. Unfortunately, I didn't catch this until we were back home ( because I didn't wear those tops again). I immediately snapped pictures and sent into Celebrity - but was told that it would have had to have been reported while we were still on board. Sadly - my mistake.

Did a Solstice Med last year with land and we were gone for 17 days total. Sent laundry out several times, it was reasonable with favorable results. They did not use a marker on my slacks jeans or tops with they did use tiny white tags with the cabin number on them inside the garment. Boy do they stick. They are hardly noticeable but they are a bear to peel off. Hope I got them all off as we are doing another Med this year and will be using some of the same clothes but we are in a different cabin. If I am missing something I might have to go knocking on 1542 to inquire about my drawers.

We used the laundry on our last Celebrity cruise on the day when they had a discount. The laundry was nicely done. What I neglected to check was some of the neck and shoulder areas. They tend to write your cabin number on a seam selvage, but on a couple of tops the ink bled through onto the shirt near the neck. Unfortunately, I didn't catch this until we were back home ( because I didn't wear those tops again). I immediately snapped pictures and sent into Celebrity - but was told that it would have had to have been reported while we were still on board. Sadly - my mistake.

Yikes, thanks for the warning - if this were to happen to my formal shirt, I would be very disappointed; have to figure out how to prevent this...

Did a Solstice Med last year with land and we were gone for 17 days total. Sent laundry out several times, it was reasonable with favorable results. They did not use a marker on my slacks jeans or tops with they did use tiny white tags with the cabin number on them inside the garment. Boy do they stick. They are hardly noticeable but they are a bear to peel off. Hope I got them all off as we are doing another Med this year and will be using some of the same clothes but we are in a different cabin. If I am missing something I might have to go knocking on 1542 to inquire about my drawers.

LOL!

I've had very good experiences with the onboard laundry service. I still bring a gown for formal nights... I send it for dry cleaning or pressing the moment I get my luggage delivered. It's always back the next day in time for the first formal night. When I've had my sons or husband with me, I send their dinner jackets for pressing as well. Very reasonable cost and I don't have to pack carefully (no tissue, etc). I use the plastic bag my gown is covered with to pack anything I don't wear (still clean) when I go home. Oh, and one time I went horseback riding and got a pair of pants muddy. I sent those out and they came back GREAT. Next cruise is 15 nights. I will pack for 7 and have things laundered mid-cruise. It's worth every penny!

Finally... I don't recall any scent on my clothes at all. I use nonscented detergent at home so I would notice it.

Can you tell me if the discount day is halfway through the cruise (when you might need laundry service)? Thanks.--Maya

avatar3.jpgWe used the laundry on our last Celebrity cruise on the day when they had a discount.

I always have laundry done on board. Usually have formal shirts laundered and maybe tux and sport jacket dry cleaned as soon as we're on board as well as wrinkled items pressed. We have a fair amount of laundry done during the cruise from dress shirts and slacks to underwear. We've never had any issues with lost items, laundry markings, or anything else and generally they do an excellent job.

We are fortunate to be Elite Captains Club status so we do get some laundry discount coupons which cover some, but not all, of our laundry cost. Because of these I haven't paid close attention to other laundry discount offerings. But with that said I haven't noticed any discount offerings in years except for an occasional bag of laundry special at the end of the cruise when the laundry would have lower demand - "sort of as a take your clothes home clean" special. But do be aware that the bag of laundry specials, when and if offered, do not include pressing and all items, even dress clothes, are returned folded in a bag. The normal piece rate laundry does include pressing and return on hangers for appropriate items.

We've never used special instructions other than to point out stains that need treatment. I don't know for sure how the laundry operates but I'd speculate that it is enough of a mass production operation that specific instructions as to water temperature and drying exceptions would be problematic - personally we'd probably skip the ship's laundry for items needing such special attention. However, a lot of items that do need special laundry attention can be put through standard dry cleaning procedures so you might consider that.

Archived