Westin Beach Resort & Spa or Hyatt Pier 66?

Sandy R

We enjoy a 4* hotel with proximity to the beach or water, restaurants and transportation. We won't have a rental car and it will just be the 2 of us. We'll be staying 3 nights in Ft. Lauderdale prior to boarding a cruise. I've read reviews on tripadvisor and cruisecritic... and we've narrowed are search to the Westin Beach Resort & Spa (an intra-coastal view room) and the Hyatt Pier 66 (a tower view room). Please help us decide. Thanks for any input.

Are you referring to the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood? While I've never stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 in FLL I can definitely recommend the Westin in Hollywood. While it is somewhat isolated in Hollywood, the hotel is by far the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at. It can usually be found on HW at discounted rates. I know which icons specifically relate to that hotel and if you need help securing that hotel I will help guide you in the right direction.

If you mean the Westin Ft. Lauderdale beach, it's a better location IMO than the Hyatt; Hyatt's on the intracoastal. The Ft. Lauderdale beach area has places within walking distances and the beach across the street.

the westin is on the beach, pier 66 is not, so i would go with the beach location. and yes to the poster about the westin diplomat in hollywood...it is an amazing hotel, one of my favorites...it's gorgeous!!!! i'm hoping that hotwire lists it for feb 2013 so we can stay there 3 days pre-cruise like we did this year, but so far i'm not seeing it yet :(

I've been eyeing the Westin in Hollywood since I've noticed it on Hotwire. Is the broadwalk accessible from the Westin? How far a walk would it be to where all the "action" is?

The broadwalk is a mile from the Westin. At least to the start of it. We rented bikes a couple days and rode the whole 4 miles or so back and forth. nice

There is nothing really around the Hollywood Westin except for a couple other hotels and lots of high rise condos. There is a nice trolley system that stops right in front of the hotel, but runs only Thurs - Monday. But it will take you about if you don't want to walk to the broadwalk or want to head to the "downtown" area. There are a handful of restaurants along the intracoastal within a 15 min walk or so of the hotel too.

The hotel is very pretty. We got our last stay there on Priceline, and altho not having a balcony, the room was their standard and very nice. We enjoyed the grounds and views.

and we've narrowed are search to the Westin Beach Resort & Spa (an intra-coastal view room) and the Hyatt Pier 66 (a tower view room). Please help us decide. .

For sure I agree to go with the Westin. The Hyatt won't give you easy access to the ocean. Most that stay here just end up hanging on 17th St. for one night precruise. To us, that's just a busy street...nothing great that says, "Let's have fun in Fort Lauderdale Beach". :rolleyes: ESPECIALLY with you staying three nights!!!

We have stayed at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach many times. It is a great location, just a few minutes to shops and restaurants. Great heated pool with lots of lounge chairs. There is a raised walkway to the beach. It is a non-smoking property (not just the rooms).

I had looked at the Hyatt, which is considerably cheaper, but as soon as I saw there was smoking - no thanks!

Our next cruise in January we debating between the Westin and the Ritz-Carlton as we have points for both. R-C is a little closer to the action.

Sheila in Ottawa

I've been eyeing the Westin in Hollywood since I've noticed it on Hotwire. Is the broadwalk accessible from the Westin? How far a walk would it be to where all the "action" is?

we took the trolly which picks you up right outside the hotel and drops you off right at the boardwalk. it was great and very convienent!

Thanks to all of you.. I'm so appreciative. Can't imagine traveling without hearing cruisecritic members' first-hand experiences! With your help, we'll be staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort and Spa. A few days ago, we secured business/first FF seats on AA flights round-trip, so we're all set.

Archived