What's not allowed on board

lupinsmum

Travelling from the UK spending a few days in New York then cruising on Summit

to Bermuda, this will be our first ever cruise.

Will be buying our duty free (can only get this in US not sold in UK)

and taking on board with us prior to flying back to UK. Not for use on ship as we have the premium drinks package. Do we declare this prior to boarding?

Unable to buy after cruise due to time not permitting.

Also is there anything else that is not allowed on board that we wouldn't be

aware of?

Many Thanks

UK residents are often stopped for bringing kettles and other water heating devices on board which are not allowed. Also clothes irons and clothes steamers (hair irons/straighteners are allowed, just not clothes irons). There is a more complete list on the Celebrity website, in a section called "What not to pack"

As to your alcohol purchase, since you know upfront that you won't be wanting it while on board, then yes, I would say something about it as you are boarding so it won't be taken and not returned. I had a similar thing happen on a TA a few years ago -- I was taking a bottle of Templeton Rye to friends who live in Germany. I had it in my carry-on, and presented it to an officer for safekeeping. I had marked it with my name, address and stateroom number. It was duly returned to me on the last night of the cruise.

Beer or liquor cannot be brought onboard; only two 750ml bottles of wine allowed per cabin. I don't know if they can make special provisions to store duty free not intended for use onboard; someone else can advise you on that.

Other big no-nos are irons, steamers and (match-lit) candles. The details printed below can be found here

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

UK residents are often stopped for bringing kettles and other water heating devices on board which are not allowed. Also clothes irons and clothes steamers (hair irons/straighteners are allowed, just not clothes irons). There is a more complete list on the Celebrity website, in a section called "What not to pack"....

Cruisestich and Leo Jay,

The Celebrity website does not have clothes steamers on their "What not to pack" list.

What kind of steamers are you guys referring to?

Beer or liquor cannot be brought onboard; only two 750ml bottles of wine allowed per cabin. I don't know if they can make special provisions to store duty free not intended for use onboard; someone else can advise you of that.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

I don't see why they wouldn't store it for you, surely it's no different than buying it at one of the ports and handing it over?

Cruisestich and Leo Jay,

The Celebrity website does not have clothes steamers on their "What not to pack" list.

What kind of steamers are you guys referring to?

Hi,

They are referring to clothes steamers...As usual, sometimes finding answers to questions on the Celebrity site takes some hunting around. !!

You searched FAQ for: Ship & Stateroom Details

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

Hope this helps.

Woody

Travelling from the UK spending a few days in New York then cruising on Summit

to Bermuda, this will be our first ever cruise.

Will be buying our duty free (can only get this in US not sold in UK)

and taking on board with us prior to flying back to UK. Not for use on ship as we have the premium drinks package. Do we declare this prior to boarding?

Unable to buy after cruise due to time not permitting.

Also is there anything else that is not allowed on board that we wouldn't be

aware of?

Many Thanks

Hello!!

Come join our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1414211&page=244 We're on page 244 but you can check my link below.

Contact me via email if you would like information on our group and events.

Monica

Are you allowed to purchase liquor duty-free in Bermuda? If so, this is the easiest way to go. The prices are lower than on board, there's a good selection, and they deliver your purchases directly to the ship for you, where they are stored and then delivered to your cabin the night before you disembark.

The main problem that you may have is with customs. I am not sure but comming back into the US you are bound by the duties and customs of the US and then you may also have the customs regulations of the UK.

Dont know what you are purchasing but it may be worth having the store ship it.

We had to do that on a Alaskan cruise. What we purchased was in the US and we live in the US but we departed in Canada. Some of what we purchased was not allowed on board and some was not allowed into Canada. We had it shipped and besides not costing much it saved packing room and a lot of grief.

Hi,

They are referring to clothes steamers...As usual, sometimes finding answers to questions on the Celebrity site takes some hunting around. !!

You searched FAQ for: Ship & Stateroom Details

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

Hope this helps.

Woody

Thanks.

Sorry, psueaz, I didn't realize when I posted what I did that that didn't include the reference to steamers. Ridiculous how their policies are spread out across random documents. If I did my due diligence by reading the "what not to pack" and cruise contract, only to have an item not mentioned confiscated upon boarding, I'd be annoyed at the very least.

:(

No kidding -- the inconsistencies drive Cruise Critic regulars crazy -- at least we can keep some travelers from unnecessary aggravation but it's nuts that Celebrity's website/printed materials/contracts/onboard instructions/and CSR's give such conflicting information!

Beer or liquor cannot be brought onboard; only two 750ml bottles of wine allowed per cabin. I don't know if they can make special provisions to store duty free not intended for use onboard; someone else can advise you on that.

Other big no-nos are irons, steamers and (match-lit) candles. The details printed below can be found here

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated.

Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

So these can be carried on, I'm assuming (and hoping!:D) :

1) Hoola Hoops

2) Unicycles

3) Small Mechanical Lawn Mowers (you know for the Lawn Club...)

4) Trampolines (Again perfect for the lawn Club)

5) Banjos

6) Orchestra Harps

7) Small Airplanes (Ultralights) For personal flights around the ship

8) Mopeds

9) Hibachi Bar-B-Ques

10) Live Pigs

I must figure out how to pack these things in our 2 suitcases ;)

Thanks.

Sorry, psueaz, I didn't realize when I posted what I did that that didn't include the reference to steamers. Ridiculous how their policies are spread out across random documents. If I did my due diligence by reading the "what not to pack" and cruise contract, only to have an item not mentioned confiscated upon boarding, I'd be annoyed at the very least.

:(

No problem Leo Jay,

Yet another case of Celebrity web site's left hand not knowing what its right hand is doing. :o

Archived