Cell Towers & Internet Usage on Board

duirwaigh

hello fellow cruisers!

taking the Noordam transatlantic on May 2 and am trying to find a cheaper way to use email/web/text (not phone calls) while on board. verizon advises me that if i have a special phone, i can do 100MB of data for a reasonable fee. however, they also advise that HAL may turn off their towers, allowing cruisers to use their cell for phone, but restricting data usage like email/surfing.

anyone aware of HAL's practices on this point?

any other tips for cheaper internet than HAL's official and outrageously expensive packages?

thanks!

All the mass market lines do it exactly the same way - and all charge just about the same prices for satellite usage.

Note that HAL and the other cruise lines do not own nor control the cell phone towers on their ships. Nor do they set the prices.

MTN, the company that furnishes marine satellite service to most cruise ships on earth, owns most of the towers and provides the service. MTN conspires with your own telephone service provider to set the prices.

Nobody really controls the operation of the towers. They are automatic.

Whenever the computer controlling the towers detects a land-based telephone signal, the towers legally are required to shut down. And they do. Then your telephone roams to the land-based signal.

As soon as the ship gets out of range of the land-based signal, the towers automatically go back on.

Verizon terms might be different from ATT, but it is unlikely. Here is the ATT policy:

"Cruise Ship Roaming: Cruise ship roaming rates apply for calls placed or data used while on the ship."

The rate is $2.95/minute aboard ship. The data roaming packages usually apply to connections ashore.

Depending on the plan selected, HAL charges between $0.55 and $0.75/min. This is a bit less than $2.95/min.

Basically, you need to confirm with Verizon that their "special data package" would apply to shipboard satellite usage. If not, you might be surprised with a large bill on your return.

"Whenever the computer controlling the towers detects a land-based telephone signal, the towers legally are required to shut down. And they do. Then your telephone roams to the land-based signal."

So if I'm tied up to the dock in say, Juneau, where I know there is Verizon coverage, I can use my cell phone and not worry about paying the ship's fare?

"Whenever the computer controlling the towers detects a land-based telephone signal, the towers legally are required to shut down. And they do. Then your telephone roams to the land-based signal."

So if I'm tied up to the dock in say, Juneau, where I know there is Verizon coverage, I can use my cell phone and not worry about paying the ship's fare?

Yes, but always verify on your phone which network it is connected to.

Whenever in a port in Alaska, I use my ATT phone hot spot for internet access and phone for regular calls. I have never paid a cent for any internet usage as long as the ship is docked in a US port..

A phone call to Verizon will confirm the same for you.

I'm not aware of the exact distance from the dock that the ship's tower takes over all internet access. Test it, "...if your are feeling lucky."

If you have a phone that shows the network name next to the signal strength like the iphone, you'll see the provider change from whomever your carrier is to SAT. If you have AT&T, you will get a free text message from them stating you are leaving their network and xxx rates apply for text, phone, and data. It's actually quite interesting to see the phone throughout the cruise change satellite data networks depending upon your location. Just make sure data roaming is off if you leave your phone on.

I'm not aware of the exact distance from the dock that the ship's tower takes over all internet access.

According to what BruceMuzz said in post #2, it wouldn't be a fixed distance, but would vary with atmospheric conditions, etc.

My general rule of thumb is if the boat is moored up to the dock, then you are okay. If not, keep the phone off.

I run the cell phone plans for my company, and I am amazed how many people think using their cell phone for data is cheaper. For tethering, for emails, etc. Somehow the approx $20 per MB of data while roaming is always cheaper than the $25 per day wifi for some resort, or the $50-100 cost for minutes on HAL in people's minds. I have had to chew out many people or disable their phones while on vacation because their line has cost over $1,000 when thinking "unlimited" counts while on a boat, or on the shores of Mexico. I can rant for hours on this, but I will save that for the next poor soul that comes to my office door.

I have verizon and yes in Alaska when close enough to a tower you can use your phone for data with no extra charges. Coverage up there is spotty but I was able to use the internet on my phone when in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Once we left port and were away from the towers I didnt use it.

Archived