Montreal question--need advice

Hi all

We are debarking on October 24 in Montreal and are thinking about renting a car one-way from Montreal back to Syracuse. At first I thought we would have to go to the airport to rent a car, but then I saw that National (they allow one-way rentals back to the States, and it's a LOT cheaper and actually quicker for us than flying), has a rental office at 1200 Stanley Street.

I'm thinking it will be a lot cheaper as far as cab fare to go to the Stanley Street office rather than the airport, but also we would be downtown, and am afraid traffic would be an issue? We're not familiar with Montreal.

So, would you advise us going to the airport to pick up a car, or the downtown office?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks so much!!:)

Hi all

... So, would you advise us going to the airport to pick up a car, or the downtown office?...

I'd say rent from downtown. From 1200 Rue Stanley, you're taking the first right, second left, first right then onto the 720 (and from there it's highway all the way). It's about as easy as it gets in downtown Montreal. Print your directions from Google nice & big font, because I find it always takes until after I'm on the highway for my GPS to get a reliable signal (lots of tall buildings) whenever I leave a Montreal hotel.

And I'm far from a local - I've driven to & through Montreal maybe a dozen times. If it's the 'foreign' language traffic signs that worry you, just remember O = West (imagine you're saying it in a really exaggeratedly long, drawn-out fashion oooooooowwwwwessssssttttt) and all the other directions use the same letter as English (E, S, N). Other than that, a name is a name and a number is a number - just make sure the signs say the same as your directions. Personally I'm always amused by the horrible pronunciations our GPS comes up with when in Quebec:D

MartinCath,

Thanks so much for your reply! We will use the Stanley St. office.

I loved your explanation of "West"---I'll have to remember that!

I actually grew up in northern NY, near the Canadian border, and visited Montreal several times when I was a kid---even went to the World's Fair there way back when---but of course I wasn't the one driving.:) I do remember my dad getting us lost several times, but we always made it home! And, back then, the border officials used to just wave us through the checkpoint because they knew us.....ah, memories:o

Thanks again for your advice!

I'm still checking into the car rental and it looks like not all of the agencies will allow a one-way. Hertz and National do; National looks to be the lowest price so far.

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate the advice.

Our friends did a one way rental from Hertz and it was very easy. They said it worked out great.

We did b-to-b and sailed back to Boston but they got off in Montreal after our Boston to Montreal cruise.

Hi Sail,

thanks for your reply. It's comforting to know that there were no problems renting one way. I feel better about renting a car now and driving home. I can really stuff my suitcase in Canada now and not worry about it being overweight!:)

Thank you for this post. I will be cruising to Montreal at the end of June and didn't think it was possible to rent one way to the U.S. After reading this post I called my travel agent and have a car reserved for our trip home. Although it is expensive for a one day car trip it is cheaper than airline tickets for all of us and we don't have to worry as much about the luggage. thanks again!

Labmom,

Hope all goes well and you have a great cruise!

Please post after your trip and let me know how the car rental thing goes for you at the border; I'll be curious to hear how easy (or difficult) it is!

Smooth sailing, and enjoy!

• 2 months later...

We just returned and the car rental was very easy. They only have a few cars available that can go to USA one way from Canada (so reserve early) but we rented from Hertz and it was an easy walk from our Old Port Hotel to pick up the car. The border crossing took about 15 minutes in line and then a quick few questions and away we went. I dropped off at a local Hertz, they had to call Canada to tell them we returned the car and then the Canadian office told them the charges. Hertz in US not hooked up to the same computer system as the Canadian Hertz. Hope this helps.

Archived