I just booked the Legend!

ddgg

I just booked the Legend for Nov 11. I have sailed plenty of times, but never on Carnival, and never out of Tampa. My husband died a few weeks ago and my niece suggested a cruise for me to have something to look forward to. Since she is a lot younger (38) than I am (62), I figured Carnival would be more fun for her than Princess would be. I can use some Carnival crazy myself.

I have some questions...

1. Can someone suggest a Tampa hotel with a vew of the cruise terminal? I'm flying in the day before and would love to watch the Legend arrive on Sunday morning.

2. Should I book hotels with airport and/or cruise terminal shuttles, or just take taxis?

3. I booked cabin 4182 on the Main Deck--my first time in a balcony. Anyone have any pictures or comments about this cabin? The location looked pretty good to me.

I appreciate any help and information you can give me before my first Carnival cruise. Planning this trip will provide me with a much needed distraction.

The port area is not real hotel friendly. I don't know if you could see the ship arrive from your hotel but you can get a nearby hotel within walking distance. There is a nice little outdoor shopping mall at the port with good viewing areas. The ship usually arrives between 7:00 and 8:00am.

We stayed at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island hotel (~$150) and it is really nice, especially for the price.

Embassy Suites Tampa at the convention center (~$180) and Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel Marina (~$230) are closer with the Marriott having a better chance to see the ships coming into port.

I didn't find any with port shuttles but a cab ride from the airport was pretty reasonable. The Westin is a bit of a walk to the port dragging bags but doable. It was warm on our trip so we took a cab.

The pickup and drop off area in Tampa is small so tends to be very crowded if you get there before 11:00am. The porters may be hard to find if you arrive before the previous cruisers are gone. The terminal entrance is on the right as you enter the circular driveway (across from the Aquarium entrance) so you should be able to find a porter if you look around in that area.

I just booked the Legend for Nov 11. I have sailed plenty of times, but never on Carnival, and never out of Tampa. My husband died a few weeks ago and my niece suggested a cruise for me to have something to look forward to. Since she is a lot younger (38) than I am (62), I figured Carnival would be more fun for her than Princess would be. I can use some Carnival crazy myself.

I have some questions...

1. Can someone suggest a Tampa hotel with a vew of the cruise terminal? I'm flying in the day before and would love to watch the Legend arrive on Sunday morning.

2. Should I book hotels with airport and/or cruise terminal shuttles, or just take taxis?

3. I booked cabin 4182 on the Main Deck--my first time in a balcony. Anyone have any pictures or comments about this cabin? The location looked pretty good to me.

I appreciate any help and information you can give me before my first Carnival cruise. Planning this trip will provide me with a much needed distraction.

So sorry for your loss.....:(

1. & 2. We stayed at the Marriott and it was beautiful. If I remember correctly we were close enough to see the port from the higher rooms. It was a beautiful hotel with a nice dockside bar/eatery for dinner. I remember having a airport shuttle. The hotel did pick us up at the airport. I believe it may have had a port shuttle as well but you can call the hotel and ask. They will let you know. (we've gone out of Tampa 3 times and I kind of forget which hotels offered what)

3. I don't have pictures of the room but you won't be disappointed...!! WE loved the legend. It was our first cruise and we were instantly addicted and been on 5 in 2 years and have 1 more booked this year and 2 in the making for next year. Our kids are wanting to go back on the Legend again and we have been on several boats including the new Magic. The Legend is still ranked up toward the top of their favorites.

Planning and preparing for a cruise is almost and I mean ALMOST as much fun as the trip itself...!!! I hope you have an amazing time..!!!

Sorry for your loss.

We have sailed Legend twice........this class of ship is one of our favorites!

You won't be disappointed. The comedy shows are so much fun.

You will stay busy, busy, busy pre-cruise planning. Join a roll call to meet fellow cruisers pre-cruise.

Have you thought of what you would like to do for excursions during your cruise another bit of info to keep you busy.

Enjoy, there is a wealth of information on these boards!

Susan

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites downtown in October. At this hotel they have a free cooked to order breakfast each morning, a managers reception every evening and they do offer a shuttle to the port.

As this is our first time cruising and visiting Tampa, I can't comment on the property or the location but the information on the website and hints from several CC members led us to book this hotel.

Sorry for your loss.

Linda

Just off the Legend 2 days ago. You will have a wonderful time at any age. I am 56 and had a great time. Remember to use the spa area for free!! There is a sauna, steam and hot tub up there for free!!! The showers are great too. Get a locker key at the desk and spend some time in a quite area on the ship. Very few people use this area-it is free!!!!!!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Westshore/airport. 15th floor we could see the ship pull into port. It is a ways away but we watched it for 45 minutes come into port. They have free drinks around dinner time, shuttle to malls, nice pool and hot tub and free full cooked breakfast. Get a Hilton discount code for a better rate. Do a search on Tampa port site. Taxi was $20 plus tip. Hotel does show some age but for the price I would stay again.

On the ship use the adult pool area-need to get a chair around 7:30 AM for all day use. Or skip the pool area and find a nice chair on the ship near photo area. We played cards all day looking at the water.

International Mall has great food, music and high end stores to walk around.

Coz has lots to do. We snorkle at the Money bar.

G.C go see the sting rays, Moby dick or stingraysailing are great.

Belize-I stay on the ship

Roatan, Walk to Mahogony bay or use Victor Bodden tours.

Enjoy

the St. Petersburg Hampton Inn Downtown at the Pier, great hotel with hot breakfast, shuttle to the pier, and you can walk out on the St. Pete pier and watch Legend come in that morning. There are trolleys that will carry you out to the pier of you can walk, it's maybe a 15-20 minute walk.

We stayed there last July and loved it. Enjoy the Legend

Mimgan

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband:(

Planning the cruise will certainly keep you busy, and you have chosen our favorite ship! We've sailed her 3 times...love the ship, the staff and the itinerary.

We haven't stayed near the port, so can't help you much there. Friends of ours stayed at the Embassy Suites and liked it.

I notice that on the deck plans, your cabin is listed for 4 people...you may want to double check with your PVP or your travel agent to see if there is a cabin for 2 available...if a cabin for 4 is needed, they have the ability to move you...I would rather pick my own cabin than be moved somewhere less desirable. As long as you don't pick anything above one of the nightclubs, you should be good!

You can become addicted to these boards...there is a wealth of info on here (just ignore the snarky people;)).

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!:)

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I think that your niece has the right idea, create something new in your life, and this board and a cruise will do it. We love the Legend (Hi Dot) and are going back on her this September.

Last time we did the submarine in Grand Cayman, my girl friend and I did the tour of Cozumel in Cozumel while our hubbies scubad, in Belize we went snorkeling, and in Roatan, we did nothing. Stayed on ship, we did not get to dock at Mahogany Bay on that cruise. This time we are snorkeling at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman (free), snorkeling at El Cid in Cozumel(day pass 15$,) tour the Museum of Belize for the Mayan art in Belize ($5.00) and finally enjoy Mahagony Bay (free). So you can go all out or simply enjoy the simple things.

I hope that you a wonderful cruise, and that you can for a while, let go. You can party all day on the Legend or you can do nothing while on board, but relax. I hope it creates a happy time for you. Marshhawk, aka Ann

Archived