Talk to me if you've cruised with an infant...

ComeSailWithME

We will be sailing with our son, who will be 13 months at the time of sailing, and are nervous for just how different this experience will be.

We have an aft balcony room, so a nice spot for us during nap times, and we plan to bring a blowup pool for him.

If you have cruised with an infant, can you run me through a typical cruise day? What did and didn't work for your LO? Any other advice..

TIA!

The pool (make sure it's a small one!) will help with bathtime...most kids don't like showers, and non-suite cabins don't generally have tubs!

Make sure you bring "comfort" items....blankie, favorite stuffed toy, etc.. And, all "baby" items....diapers, wipes, any medications you might need...the ships have few OTC things for kids!

Don't make too many plans....children have a way of setting their own schedule!

And, don't worry...it's a vacation! As long as you are relaxed and happy, so will be your child!

We cruised on Disney with my then 6 yr old and 7 month old. She just went with the flow. We did pay for her to go to the childcare most evenings for a few hours so we could enjoy the night time show, and she had a wonderful girl there who just loved her. We also paid for her to stay in childcare part of our Castaway Cay (Disney's island) day, she went for the morning and we picked her up around noonish I believe and seh spent the rest of the day with us.

The dining room was great, each night they had what she liked waiting for her (not much at that age, but they tried), and always had a high chair waiting.

We took along our own bottled water for her and some juice too. I don't think we ended up ever going back to the room to nap her, I think she just crashed each day in her stroller, whereever we were!

And, as a bonus, she slept great each night in her pack and play, maybe it was the gentle rocking of the ship!

We cruised on Disney with my then 6 yr old and 7 month old. She just went with the flow. We did pay for her to go to the childcare most evenings for a few hours so we could enjoy the night time show, and she had a wonderful girl there who just loved her. We also paid for her to stay in childcare part of our Castaway Cay (Disney's island) day, she went for the morning and we picked her up around noonish I believe and seh spent the rest of the day with us.

The dining room was great, each night they had what she liked waiting for her (not much at that age, but they tried), and always had a high chair waiting.

We took along our own bottled water for her and some juice too. I don't think we ended up ever going back to the room to nap her, I think she just crashed each day in her stroller, whereever we were!

And, as a bonus, she slept great each night in her pack and play, maybe it was the gentle rocking of the ship!

Was she being cared for at home in a daycare setting? Currently, our 8 month old is being watched by family in our home. We are sailing Carnival and they have limited babysitting services, which mainly fall late night, so I though t it might be nice to utilize it to see a late night show or deck party. I know they give you a pager/cell phone. Just wondering what the circumstances were for your daughter. Thanks!

My girls were 13 months on their first cruise. First thing on wake up I would order milk from room service, then we would dress and go to breakfast in the dining room. Then play outside or in one of the lounges (if you're on Princess you can play in the kids area). Nap, then lunch in the dining room, then play on deck and dance to the band, nap, dinner in the dining room, dance at the back of one of the lounges, then they would sleep in their stroller while we wandered the ship. It became a really nice schedule and we all enjoyed it and were rested.

You'll notice that all meals came immediately after a nap, which was probably why we had such successful meal times. I brought lots of books, thinking I'd read during naps, but I came to enjoy the naps myself. We ordered milk from room service alot, so $1 bills came in handy for tips. You can also usually get milk from the buffet.

Bring more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need. You don't want to run out. Bring an extra sippy cup or bottle in case one gets lost since you can't get them on board. Bring any medicines they may need and a thermometer.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Best,

Mia

For anyone that has used a high chair in the main dining room - do they have trays that attach to the chair or are they the kind that pull up to the table? We eat out with our 13 month old at least once a week, sometimes more. Our sticky mat with interchangable plates and bowls is great, but it doesn't work at a place with tablecloths. Just wondering if we should even bother bring them.

For anyone that has used a high chair in the main dining room - do they have trays that attach to the chair or are they the kind that pull up to the table?

Which ship? On Carnival and Princess, the high chairs did not have trays. My girls at finger food placed on the table cloth (since it's changed after each meal) or directly from the plates or bowls.

Best,

Mia

We sailed with my daughter when she was 13 months old. We never took her to the dining room, and stuck to the buffet. Plenty of people take little ones to the dining room, it just didn't feel right for our situation because my daughter could not have handled the lengthy meals. She enjoyed exploring the ship, going up and down the stairs, looking out at the water, and visiting the ports. My mom was along on this cruise so she watched my daughter a couple of times so my husband and I could go to dinner a couple of evenings. Mainly we tried to keep her on the schedule she was on at home (going to bed around 6:30/7), and just stayed in the cabin when she went to bed unless my mom was watching her. Definitely not the same as before baby, but we still had a good time.

We used disposable plastic mats with sticky backing in restaurants and on ships when my daughter was younger to insure a sanitary and safe place for food.

We brought a small bottle of dish detergent and a scrub brush to clean bottles (she was transitioning off of formula at the time) and sippy cups.

Have a great cruise!

We traveled 2 yrs ago when my kids were 2 yrs and 9 months old. Make a packing list in advance.

1-blow up pedi tub for bath as most ships do not have a tub

2-bring a small soft sided cooler for your room and u can bring back milks off breakfast buffet to always have milk in your room. Ask the steward to keep it full of ice.

3- ask steward if he can empty your garbage pails at least twice a day.

4- bring lots of snacks. I brought a small box on board with my can of formula, goldfish, Cheerios and assorted needs. You can also get the small boxes of Cheerios off the breakfast buffet.

5- call ahead to reserve a portable crib. I brought my own sheets.

6-I brought 2 kitchen towels, dish soap and sippy cups and bottles with throw away liners.

7-umbrella stroller!

8-not sure if you are into it but it was the first time I used the back pack with the "leash"

9-tip your room steward well for taking care of u and your family

Going again the September with a now 4 and almost 3 year old. Will be trying Camp Carnival for the first time. Will let u know how that goes.

I love reading all of these tips. My dh and I have been on 27 cruises by ourselves, but this will be a whole different ballgame. We want to take her to the dining room at least a few times. I think she can handle the time. We eat out a lot and recently spent over 3 hours at Oceanaire. Most of the time it's not tablecloth restaurant though. I know we'll be eating in the buffet for breakfast and lunch so maybe I'll bring the stick down plates for that reason alone. The cruise isn't for 8 months and she'll probably be completely different by then.

We're going to be on the NCL Pearl. I called NCL and they said it will be a Pack and Play. I'll bring our own sheets. We've booked an inside cabin so space will be at a premium. NCL said they push the two beds against one wall and put the PNP against the other. I'm guessing it will just be one big row of beds, which is pretty much what I expected.

Travelhound, you are right, it is so different with little ones! How old will your child be when you sail? The good news for you is that because you are doing freestyle on NCL, you have more flexibility in when/where you eat, and the freestyle restaurants are less likely to have the traditional 2 hour table seating that is painfully long, particularly when you have a little one. You also tend not to have tablemates, which can also make your dinner longer. Hope you have a great cruise!

We cruised with DS when he was 10 months. It was great but it wasn't the usual vacation for us! We did the dining room each night and tried to get there for breakfast and lunch when possible. We prefer the service over buffet wrangling.

We were not up for the usual late night adventures as DS was waking up really early and having really short naps so we were all crashed out in the evenings pretty early - but that helped us take better advantage of the day!

DS did fine in the PNP RCI provided but the bedding they offered was ridiculous so I'm glad I brought his own stuff (sheets, sleepsack, etc.).

Gatrcruzer,

Our daughter will be 21 months when we cruise. You're right about NCL freestyle being faster for dinner, especially if you sit alone. This will be our 9th NCL and when we've been sitted by ourselves we are often finished in 75-90 minutes, including dessert. She can certainly do that.

B_Mc,

We've rarely eaten breakfast or lunch in the dining room because we're usually rushing off to an excursion or sitting by the pool, but maybe with a toddler now it would be something to consider. Hanging onto her and trying to get food from the buffet may be overwhelming.

This is certainly be a learning experience, but after doing so many cruises by ourselves we're looking forward to experiencing it in a whole new way. My SIL said, "You know you'll be chasing her all over the ship." My response was, "I chase her all over our house right now. At least the chasing can be in swimsuits and in warm weather."

Which ship? On Carnival and Princess' date=' the high chairs did not have trays. My girls at finger food placed on the table cloth (since it's changed after each meal) or directly from the plates or bowls.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I am pretty sure we had trays on Conquest and Miracle. Spirit: I think so but we were mostly past trays so I don't know for sure. They were tough to find, especially on Conquest where they were just stuck in the bottom of random bus stations. On Miracle there was a niche with all the high chairs and trays.

Of course, it's entirely possible that some ships have different high chair systems so I suspect you are right about what you experienced.

Yeah, this is on (Carnival) Miracle:

2439263260101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

(You can see the tray in the corner of the photo. I have better pictures showing the tray, but this one has a special cuteness factor.)

This is certainly be a learning experience, but after doing so many cruises by ourselves we're looking forward to experiencing it in a whole new way. My SIL said, "You know you'll be chasing her all over the ship." My response was, "I chase her all over our house right now. At least the chasing can be in swimsuits and in warm weather."

That's true but it is different on a ship where every space has a stairway, fountain, hot food service, or a pool... and lot's of people who aren't watching where they are walking. :rolleyes: :D

Mikesteg,

Very true! At this point most of our house is not baby proofed and if she leaves our "protected area" it's a hovering job. It will probably be similar on a ship. There are simply some areas she will not walk - like the buffet. She'd be a speed bump to some people there. :)

We sailed with our 15 month old last fall on Oasis. I highly recommend bringing your own pnp sheet as others have stated. They put a flat sheet around the pnp base and it ends up being all wrinkled and a mess. I worried about suffocation even though he was considered old enough for blankets. Also if your lo has any skin sensitivities, bringing your own will save you that hassle.

My son sleeps in his crib at home and has gone to sleep in it since the newborn stage so getting him to fall asleep for naps and bedtime in the pnp while we were in the room was a challenge. He wanted to party. We can't get him to really cuddle or nearly fall asleep with us in a bed to this day, so if that is how things are in your household, consider yourself forewarned that the after bedtime balcony beverages might be slightly delayed. I was afraid to go out on the balcony while he was going to sleep for fear he would scream for a long time and disturb people.

If he isn't used to showers, you might want to introduce them at home. If he takes to it, one of you can take him in the shower with you and hopefully speed up getting out of the cabin.

If he can tolerate eating in restaurants, take him to the mdr. Its a lot easier than the buffet. We only went to the buffet twice and it was basically so he could have a treat of french fries. We ate every meal we could in the dining room, it was a lot nicer. I know some can't sit that long but we only had one 'bad' day and we left quickly. We made sure to let him burn off some steam before the meal so he could sit and it worked out nicely.

Things I took with me that I would take again: individual packets of sanitizing handwipes, travel packs of clorox wipes, soft packs of baby wipes, our own diapers, plastic bib (we had the dollar store version of the baby bjorn bib w/the catch tray), umbrella stroller.

I didn't take toys, didn't need them or the burden of carrying more stuff. The carseat was a pain but I wouldn't go without it either.

Mikesteg,

Very true! At this point most of our house is not baby proofed and if she leaves our "protected area" it's a hovering job. It will probably be similar on a ship. There are simply some areas she will not walk - like the buffet. She'd be a speed bump to some people there. :)

That sounds about right... unless you can train her to go for the bacon. :D

Things I took with me that I would take again: individual packets of sanitizing handwipes, travel packs of clorox wipes, soft packs of baby wipes, our own diapers, plastic bib (we had the dollar store version of the baby bjorn bib w/the catch tray), umbrella stroller.

I didn't take toys, didn't need them or the burden of carrying more stuff. The carseat was a pain but I wouldn't go without it either.

We actually used to take the large can of clorox wipes. We'd get the 3-pack from Sam's and take one on vacay. Just put a few in a baggie each day and they'll stay wet for a day or two.

Now that our are 2.5, we just use diaper wipes. I think we take about twice as many wipes as we'd normally need. They are too valuable to run low and be forced to reserve them for only diaper changes.

We buy our wipes by the case from Sam's so they are the bricks which weigh over a pound. When we're getting close to leaving we'll save 2 packs that are 75% gone and put those in the diaper bags rather than weigh them down. Every pound helps, you know? :D

We do bring toys but a limited selection. They don't need too many with all the entertainment going on, but a few basics are necessary for us. Our kids have their own carry on bags also, so it doesn't cost us anything for them to bring a small selection. But... we only bring one favorite toy so if something gets lost it isn't a crisis.

We used to use the paper disposal bibs also. They are about 20 cents/each at our grocery store (Smith's) and we actually used them for dining out on land also. No need to clean & dry, so much more sanitary IMHO.

That's great, Travelhound! My daughter could tolerate eating out, but she would lose patience after awhile and would want to get up and run around, so it was tough for us to do long sit-down meals. Here is how we handled the buffet: first, we'd scope out a table and one person would settle my daughter in to the highchair while the other grabbed a few items for her from the buffet. Then that person would sit and help her eat, while the other brought back food for the two of us. We'd repeat trips as necessary. For us it was helpful to get her food right away, and we were able to leave before she got antsy. We also didn't have to worry about her being loud or disruptive because the buffet is usually pretty noisy and casual. However, all children are different, and if yours is able to sit through long meals that is a blessing. When we took my daughter at 24 months, she was much more of a handful than at 13 months, but as one of the other posters noted, better to chase your little one around the ship while others are cooking your food, making your bed, etc.

We sailed with DGS (and his parents) last year when he was 14 months old. We ate dinners in the MDR but breakfast and lunch in the buffet. He is a very active toddler, but loves to eat in "rest-o-ronts" so dinners in the MDR were not a problem.

We brought him to one show, which he loved. He was entranced by the lights and loved the music. He showed his appreciation by applause at appropriate times. The second time we tried it, he found the entertainment lacking and got antsy, but since we chose seats near the exit, we could sllip out quietly.

There were two things that DD brought along that made the trip easier:

1. A selection of new and engaging but quiet toys that kept him occupied during dinner.

2. Grandparents (4) that were more than willing to entertain him or walk him around. We had the connecting cabin and so could relax and read or watch TV in our room if DD and DSIL wanted to catch a late show or enjoy the martini bar.

DS went on his first cruise at 14 months and loved it! We'll be taking our 3rd cruise with him in a few weeks.

Cardinal rule of cruising w/ a baby - you know your child best, you know what keeps your kid content, and a happy kid makes for a much better vacation. There's great advice here but everyone's mileage may vary. Also, it's a different vacation than you may be used to pre-baby - you don't get a break from chasing after the toddler, or whatever ungodly hour your child likes to get up, or wrangling your child at the dinner table, but having a break from everything else you normally have to take care of at home/work is what makes all the different.

We chose itineraries that had things to do in port on our own on foot and w/ stroller, rather than ship excursions. We did FL/bahamas for one, and NE/Canada for the other. This year is Bermuda which we went to a few years ago before DS was born. We also knew that we wouldn't be heartbroken if a port day didn't go as planned in case DS got sick, was fussy, etc. Europe and Alaska will wait until he's older. We relaxed the daily schedule but knew that DS needs a certain degree of sleep routine - if he doesn't nap, dinner will be a nightmare for all, so he definitely got his nap! He could stay up a little later than at home but we still follow the same bedtime routine to prepare for bed. We ate in the main dining room most nights but we were on NCL so we could eat earlier (5:30) and meals were not quite as long. We traveled w/ friends so while we didn't expect anyone to offer babysitting, having 6 adults at the table w/ a toddler made it easier to relax during the meal as we would take turns playing w/ him as each one of us finished each course. Also the staff were really wonderful with him. For us, it was worth getting the biggest room we could, w/ a balcony. Because of naps and early bedtime, we spent more time in our room than we normally would. We took turns going out when DS slept but I was fine napping or sitting out on the balcony w/ a baby monitor, a frosty drink and a book. He was walking at the time and loved waddling around the ship. Lounges that are otherwise closed during the day are a good place to let them explore. Some ships have planned activities for the little ones and their parents.

As far as things to bring, we brought the blow up pool to use on our balcony and as a bath tub, we used disposable/take-and-toss stuff as much as we could - bibs, placemats w/ adhesive, sippy cups, utensils, bowls. He was eating table food but definitely not ready for anything remotely breakable or adult-sized. We figured w/ the disposable stuff, I washed it in the evenings (brought dish soap and a sponge/bottlebrush), but if we lost it, I wouldn't be annoyed. We brought some individually packaged snacks for port days - crackers, graham crackers, applesauce, dried fruit, etc. We know what he would and wouldn't eat, and also that he had a food allergy so it was easier to know that we had his snacks in a form that could be taken off the ship. We brought a couple small books, his favorite stuffed animal and blanket, a sheet for the PnP, and small happy-meal type toys. Again, the toys helped when at meals or while waiting in line, but nothing I would be upset about losing. The favorite stuffed toy, book and blanket were reserved for bedtime and naps and got put away during the day to not lose them. We set up a changing area in our room w/ a mat and supplies, and brought ziplock bags to be able to divvy up supplies and pack supplies to go baggies for each day. We brought the backpack w/ a leash but didn't have to use it much. It was mostly to keep him within arms reach if we were in a crowd like on deck at sailaway where finding him quickly should he let go of my hand would be difficult. Rather than have to hold his hand though, we had him sit up on daddy's shoulders a lot in crowded places and found that to be easier.

Enjoy your trip!

We took DD for her first birthday last year. We found more food options than we could imagine - but no crackers anywhere! Goldfish could be found from time to time, but not many snacks like that. She loved having 5 different fruits and cheeses at every meal.

I packed way too many things - from clothes to diapers, but if I wouldn't have, I would have needed them.

The blow up pool was a wonderful thing. We cruised in Oct so we didn't get out on the pool deck with it a lot - but it was nice the 3 days we did use it out there. Fortunately, DD does showers with us so that wasn't a big deal for us. But it was a good place to just gather "stuff" in the bathroom. ;)

We thought it was fun to let her walk around and socialize. She'd just started walking at 11 months. I think she thinks the name of an elevator is a 'hi-bye-bye' cause that's what you always say when you come to one. LOL She threw more kisses and waved and really turned into a butterfly that week. To this day, when we go out to eat, she likes to walk out slowly and stops to wave and "talk" to folks on the way out - especially the grandparently people that she finds are smiling and friendly. It's cute as can be. It's all because of the cruise.

She didn't nap for crap. By the 5th day she was starting to settle in and nap like normal but by then, it was almost too late. LOL She slept ok at night at least - that was a bonus.

We had a balcony room with quiet neighbors that didn't slam doors thankfully.

We brought a little bag (like 1/2 a Target bag) of cheap toys - nothing she couldn't live without. We let her have one of the cabinets for her toys.

We brought duck tape for drawers/cabinets she didn't need to mess with. For the most part - if she tried to open it and it didn't open she left it alone - she didn't go looking to peel the tape off like she would now. That was a life saver with the closet and the fridge. Oh - and to keep the sun from peeking in the curtain.

We brought an external speaker for my Ipod too. We played music for background to help her have a consistent background noise at night. I think that helped her sleep a little better. Or at least I say it did. Maybe it helped me not feel like it was so deathly quiet. LOL

Last thing - my new Sony eReader DH got me for my birthday (also on the cruise) was the best present ever. She could have napped 20 hours a day and I would have been ok with that. I was ready to read and read and read! ;)

Have fun!

Archived