Expanded beer menu

jmf123

Allow a beer drinker who loves RCCL to say, It is about time!!!! That has been really the only thing that was less than outstanding for me in regards to cruising with RCCL. The beer selection was awful!! I'm glad to see this move and hope it is here to stay and perhaps even grow. Can't have too many beer choices when it's good beer. :D

Hopefully this new trend of carrying good beer will continue everywhere!

In the way past men would retire with their brandy and cigars. Times have changed and men like a good beer ... not the cheap college kid beer either :D

There is a huge social aspect as well as culture for guys to sit down with a large ale with a foamy head on it while gabbing about sports with a buddy.

We girls prefer mani and pedi's :p

Hopefully this new trend of carrying good beer will continue everywhere!

In the way past men would retire with their brandy and cigars. Times have changed and men like a good beer ... not the cheap college kid beer either :D

There is a huge social aspect as well as culture for guys to sit down with a large ale with a foamy head on it while gabbing about sports with a buddy.

We girls prefer mani and pedi's :p

While I love my mani/pedis...Nothing beats a good qaulity beer. I guess I am spoiled living in Colorado-the Napa Valley of microbeers.:D

I swear hubby wiped a tear away while reading that article. :p

I'm lovin' all the brew enthusiasm here, lol!

If someone has a recent beer/pub menu that they can post, that would be awesome!

This was posted today on the 'beer on Allure' thread by Host Elizanessie, including prices as of December 2011. (There is an actual menu posted there as well): :)

Amstel light, $4.75

Bud light Aluminum, $5.25

Budweiser Aluminum, $5.25

Coors Light, $4.25

Corona Extra, $4.75

Dos Equis, $4.75

Foster's Oil Can, $6.95

Grolsch Premium Lager, $6.75

Heineken, $4.75

Heinken Light, $4.75

Kirin Light, $4.75

Michelob Ultra Aluminum, $5.25

Miller Genuine Draft, $4.25

Miller Light, $4.25

Peroni, $4.75

Red Stripe. $4.75

Becks, $4.75

Carlsberg, $4.75

Harp Lager, $5.75

Pilsner Urquell, $4.75

Samuel Adams Boston Lager, $4.75

Spateo, $5.75

Stella Artois. $4.75

Bass Ale, $5.75

Boddingtons Pub Ale, $5.95

Redhook Long Hammer IPA, $6.25

Sierra Nevada. $5.75

Widner Hefeweizes $6.25

Guinness Draught, $5.95

Murphy's Stout, $5.95

Newcastle Brown Ale, $5.75

Sun Adams Double Bock. $6.50

Blue Moon Belgian Ale, $4.75

Chimay Blue 750ml, $19.95

Hoegaarden, $5.75

Leffe, $5.75

Sun Adams Imperial White. $6.50

Buckler, $4.25

O'Doul's. $4.25

These were the prices in the Bow & Stern on Allure December 2011

I was thinking about the list of beers a little more last night and I have some additional thoughts about the list.

The main thing is, they need more STYLES of beer.

It's great that, "the additions include a wheat beer from Oregon's Widmer Brothers brewery and an India pale ale from Washington state's Redhook brewery." IPAs are my favorites and Widmer Brothers is a great brewery and Redhook is a very good one. Widmer Brothers makes a FANTASTIC IPA! So I wish those were switched, but that's fine.

Also, to their credit the article says that they'll have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Samuel Adams Double Bock, and one of Chimay's trappist beers (which one?). All solid choices and that give a decent range of beer styles.

However, the list goes on with: "Foster's from Australia and Kirin Light from Japan as well as Peroni from Italy, Carlsberg from Denmark, Spaten from Germany and Pilsner Urquell from the Czech Republic." All solid lagers and a nice "around the world" choice. But they all essentially taste the same! And are they getting these from the country of origin or from the US importer. I guess the latter.

The next set in the list are, "from the U.K. and Ireland include Bass Ale, Boddingtons Pub Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Guinness Draught, Murphy's Stout and Harp Lager." Most of these, maybe all of these, can be found on board already. So no new news here.

And then to throw in O'Douls and Buckler? I'd rather they include PBR and Old Milwaukee over those.

It's good to see that they're looking to expand the choices. It's definitely a step in the right direction. But I'd like to see them take it a little further.

Also, in Adam G's recent blog Q&A post, he was asked about the beers and he essentially said that while they were looking at it he didn't expect to make a change soon. I guess that was a lie.

This is great news for my BF and I. Neither of us are very big drinkers but we do enjoy good beer for sure. I enjoy fine wine too but my migraines, sadly, do not (I can't have more than a glass and I have to have it with food), so I've found that I tolerate beer much better.

There are several on that list which will make us both happy, particularly the Bass.

This is great news for my BF and I. Neither of us are very big drinkers but we do enjoy good beer for sure. I enjoy fine wine too but my migraines, sadly, do not (I can't have more than a glass and I have to have it with food), so I've found that I tolerate beer much better.

There are several on that list which will make us both happy, particularly the Bass.

Not that this has to do with beer selections but alcohol and headaches are due to dehydration. Wine is particularly bad for this in some people. If you would like to partake in a bit of wine in the evening, remember to take extra care in hydrating your body that day. Drink plenty of OJ, Gatorade and water. Just drinking water won't work so add a glass or 2 of electrolyte type drink. Also make sure to eat a small something when you do. This will help to keep you hydrated. Something else to do is drink a glass of OJ or Gatorade right before bed. Even if you only had 1 or 2 glasses of wine. This will prevent you from getting headaches the next day.

While cruising you have to be extremely careful with booze. The heat/sun and activity along with the gobs of booze offered can lead (and often does lead) to bad reactions.

I am particularly sensitive to these headaches. Most people who are not big drinkers are more sensitive. I personally use a 1-2 rule to remind me. For every glass of wine or other fruity drink I make sure to drink 2 glasses of OJ/Gatorade or some other type of replenishing drink.

While I love my mani/pedis...Nothing beats a good qaulity beer. I guess I am spoiled living in Colorado-the Napa Valley of microbeers.:D

I know what you mean. I lived in Winter Park, Co. for five years and talk about culture shock moving back to Fl. and walking into a liquor store that had five "micro" brews to choose from and two of those were Sam Adams!!:p Any beer lover who hasn't been to Colorado does not know what they are missing. It's nirvana hahahaha.

Please Please Please will you all crusing on Freedom OTS in the next 14 months (I cruise again in June 2013) please drink a lot of these listed beers, so that RCCL finds it profitable and maintains them when I cruise...

Thank you in advance,

HopHead Dave :D

Please Please Please will you all crusing on Freedom OTS in the next 14 months (I cruise again in June 2013) please drink a lot of these listed beers, so that RCCL finds it profitable and maintains them when I cruise...

Thank you in advance,

HopHead Dave :D

You paying? :p

Oh wait we will be on the allure...

But think about it ...if you want this fleet wide and more beers offered drinking them is the way to go.

So who is buying the first round? :D

Not sure why people think that Australians are obsessed with Fosters..... I have not drunk a Fosters for well over 20 years and is not going to be any where near the top of my list on a cruise.

There are many better beers brewed in Australia.

Not sure why people think that Australians are obsessed with Fosters..... I have not drunk a Fosters for well over 20 years and is not going to be any where near the top of my list on a cruise.

There are many better beers brewed in Australia.

Same reason as Bud, marketing.

Archived