Expanded beer menu

jmf123

Not sure why people think that Australians are obsessed with Fosters..... I have not drunk a Fosters for well over 20 years and is not going to be any where near the top of my list on a cruise.

There are many better beers brewed in Australia.

My DH has been to Australia and he laughs when the commercials come on. He says no one there drinks it.

Fosters sold in the USA isn't even from Austrailia, it is brewed in Canada.

Kind of like Dos Equis. If you watch the commercials, at the end is says bottled in White Plains, NY. LOL

Please Please Please will you all crusing on Freedom OTS in the next 14 months (I cruise again in June 2013) please drink a lot of these listed beers, so that RCCL finds it profitable and maintains them when I cruise...

Thank you in advance,

HopHead Dave :D

My Hubs and I will do our best this July.... :)

Please Please Please will you all crusing on Freedom OTS in the next 14 months (I cruise again in June 2013) please drink a lot of these listed beers, so that RCCL finds it profitable and maintains them when I cruise...

Thank you in advance,

HopHead Dave :D

I'll try and do my part...

Which of those beers would you recommend for a Canadian beer drinker that usually drinks Labatts Blue or Molson Canadian?

Beware, I am not a beer connosouir but I'd say any of these you may like:

Dos Equis, $4.75

Grolsch Premium Lager, $6.75

Heinken Light, $4.75

Miller Genuine Draft, $4.25

Miller Light, $4.25

Harp Lager, $5.75

Which of those beers would you recommend for a Canadian beer drinker that usually drinks Labatts Blue or Molson Canadian?

For beer on tap, I would suggest going to the bartender and asking for a taste of each. Then have them pour a glass of one that you like.

Certainly the Fosters is going to be familiar as it is produced by Molson and would be similar to the common lager that they brew. But there are plenty of other golden lagers and ales if you desire the lighter brews, but there are some on the darker side. And a range from light body to full body (the Sam Adams Double Bock or Imperial White will have a very full body, with the Bock being a dark beer and the white being a Blue Moon on steroids).

When it comes to beer, I usually suggest trying different ones to see which you like (and don't think that color indicates strength, as the Imerial White is very light in color, but will be the strongest beer in the bunch).

Now featuring more than 40 beer choices on about half their ships:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/04/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-beer/678371/1?csp=Travel

Excellent news! I have been hoping the lines would start expanding their abysmal beer offerings. Now if they would just stock my Weihenstephaner Hefe I'd be a happy boy. :D

I'm so glad they're stepping up the beer choices. I have to add that if you sail out of Southampton, you'll get cider, too. Either Strongbow or Magner's. I went through a gallon of the latter last February. :D

I'm so glad they're stepping up the beer choices. I have to add that if you sail out of Southampton, you'll get cider, too. Either Strongbow or Magner's. I went through a gallon of the latter last February. :D

Mmmmmmm,,,,,,cider! :D Woodchuck and Angry Orchard are my current favorites, but I'll definitely take a Strongbow. I think they are putting Strongbow out fleet wide, I was able to get it on Allure (last October) and on Jewel (a couple of months ago).

Can anyone tell me where you can get beer on tap on the Alure?

Thanks! :cool:

Yakiman, this was posted on the 'beer on Allure' thread (and there is also a photo of the taps shown there, in another post):

Just got off the Allure on Sunday the 22nd

Schooner Bar taps

Heineken, Newcastle,Murphys

Sand Bar Taps

Newcastle,Heineken,Amstel Light

Pool Bar

Heineken,Murphys,Newcastle

..... please drink a lot of these listed beers, so that RCCL finds it profitable and maintains them when I cruise... :D
Here in lies the basis for the problem for all of you 'beer snobs' :D !!

It's supply & demand! You will sit by the pool have 2-3 of your Pete's Wicked Honey Amber Fat Tire Unfiltered IPA claiming you can't drink anymore because it's "full bodied" or it's "real beer" or some such nonsense. Meanwhile this Missouri boy is knocking back 10 - 15 Bud Lights, and yet you are surprised or upset that they don't have a wider variety of choices. Really ???

It's supply & demand! You will sit by the pool have 2-3 of your Pete's Wicked Honey Amber Fat Tire Unfiltered IPA claiming you can't drink anymore because it's "full bodied" or it's "real beer" or some such nonsense. Meanwhile this Missouri boy is knocking back 10 - 15 Bud Lights, and yet you are surprised or upset that they don't have a wider variety of choices. Really ???

Nope, not surprised at all. Therefore we should be happy about it? I know WHY they don't carry a wide variety. '

In contrast, the beer bar I go to regularly doesn't serve Bud at all. And they have no problem doing business, in fact they're booming.

They will let you sample the on tap beers? That would really help.

Thanks all...

Nearly every place I have been (local bar, hotel, ship, etc.) will allow a taste of a beer from tap. But it will be not much more than a quick pull into a small glass specifically for tasting. On the ships I have been on, I have neither had a problem asking or receiving a sample, so if you wish to sample, definitely ask.

Nope, not surprised at all. Therefore we should be happy about it? I know WHY they don't carry a wide variety. '

In contrast, the beer bar I go to regularly doesn't serve Bud at all. And they have no problem doing business, in fact they're booming.

I think RCI has been missing the boat on this. They certainly sell a lot of "snobby" wine.

And I do agree that even the expanded selection lacks in variety of TYPE of beer. Also, they should add some micros that are a little more off the beaten path. Us beer snobs love to try something froM a little brewery we have never heard of.

Can you say "Yakima Craft?!"

No, I'm not affiliated, but they and a lot of other micro micro breweries make some d**m good beer. I just know that I love trying some new brews when I travel and I think most of my fellow beer snobs do too.

Cheers!

Dave

I suspect that this comment is mostly intended as fun, but is further from truth than you might think, or else they wouldn't expand their options.

A conversation I had with a resort beverage manager in Hawaii (predominantly questions I asked about their sales) caused them to take out the Bud on tap, and have mostly Hawaii brewed beer on those taps (and a guest coming to the bar at an opportune moment who wanted a beer that they had sold out by noon probably helped). A lot of travelers to their resort wanted local fair, but settled for Bud as it was the only choice as they often ran out of others. A conversation a year later indicated that now only about 10-15% of their beer sales were Bud, and the guests that desired it was OK with cans or bottles.

And just running the numbers with Bud having the largest single market share of ~40% (28% Bud Lite, 12% Bud - and I should note, that these numbers are significantly down from their height), that means there are 60% that want something else. So I suspect that the 60% (and growing) that have been demanding is now what is causing the supply.

What I would really like to know, though, is what their sales percentage is a year from now (if my observations hold, people commonly want something on vacation that they cannot get at home).

I am really enjoying reading this thread! Hubby isn't the message board type but is always complaining about the lack of good beers in most places. He hates when he has to go searching to pay for a decent beer.

It is also very true that when "snob" beer drinkers go on vacation they want to try something new ~ the same as most wine drinkers. Who wants to only drink what you can get in your local grocery store when on vacation?

It is great to see RC is noticing this and responding. It may be slow going but beer drinkers should unite :D

A few years back I bought hubby a book for his birthday that he really enjoys. For those who want to learn more about beers or advance their taste buds a bit but aren't sure what to try there is a great book!

Its called, "A 1001 beers to try before you die" He loves his book and loves even more when he gets the chance to cross off one of the beers in the book. It gives a great starting point or direction in which to try new beers.

Also, Discovery made a documentary last year called, "How Beer Saved the World". This is a fun historical documentary! We really enjoyed it and learned a thing or 2 as well. It is light hearted and funny but the information is solid and correct. From how beer (ale) turned nomadic cave men into farmers as well as how the beer brewed in the dark ages had large amounts of some antibiotic (I can't remember the name of the drug off hand) that hadn't been "discovered" until 2001. This killed off any bad bacteria that was in the water of the ale making beer safer to drink then water.

Also something else I did not know was the fact that the Model T was not the first mass produced item. It was beer bottles. Also refrigeration was invented by a beer company. .... it goes on and on and is really interesting. I highly suggest looking it up on You tube or Discovery or Netflix as I am sure all of them carry it.

I'd call that a potential drinking problem :O

I'd call that a potential drinking problem :O

I have to admit, that is a lot of beer!

However I think there may be a different view point then the actual money for the beer that is changing the beer drinking selections.

RC is trying to cater more to families on their ships. We see this with the characters, the kids' programs, flowriders and all of the fun family activities.

RC knows families spend more money on their vacation then the broke college kid. Also dads (and moms) are usually older and do not consider dry heaving in the bathroom a good time ... at least not anymore ;)

It is these fathers that they want to impress. If dad enjoys himself and has a great time ~ including some of his favorite beers available~ he is more likely to push the family to go on another cruise. He is also more likely to buy "junk" for his kids, a little bling for the wife and so on.

They would prefer to have the older father figure drinking $20 beers and handle their beer with grace and dignity rather then the college kid who is throwing up in their halls or causing a disturbance due to slinging back those 15 beers in an afternoon.

At least that is my opinion on it. I know if I owned a bar/club/cruise I would much rather have older, mature men who drink the beer for the experience and taste rather then the buzz.

I have to admit, that is a lot of beer!

However I think there may be a different view point then the actual money for the beer that is changing the beer drinking selections.

RC is trying to cater more to families on their ships. We see this with the characters, the kids' programs, flowriders and all of the fun family activities.

RC knows families spend more money on their vacation then the broke college kid. Also dads (and moms) are usually older and do not consider dry heaving in the bathroom a good time ... at least not anymore ;)

It is these fathers that they want to impress. If dad enjoys himself and has a great time ~ including some of his favorite beers available~ he is more likely to push the family to go on another cruise. He is also more likely to buy "junk" for his kids, a little bling for the wife and so on.

They would prefer to have the older father figure drinking $20 beers and handle their beer with grace and dignity rather then the college kid who is throwing up in their halls or causing a disturbance due to slinging back those 15 beers in an afternoon.

At least that is my opinion on it. I know if I owned a bar/club/cruise I would much rather have older, mature men who drink the beer for the experience and taste rather then the buzz.

Great analysis!

Yes, this makes logical sense. Focus on the family - not just the kids but you have to look at the adults too!

Archived