Getting cash in Norway (Leknes)

NDRB

We will be taking a Norwegian cruise, leaving from Amsterdam, so there will be no handy airport ATM situation to get cash. Our first port will be Leknes- does anyone know if there is an ATM close to the pier?

I imagine that Celebrity's exchange rate isn't going to be terrible good for NOK? I assume we will need cash for small purchases and I doubt that Euros are accepted in Norway?

Thanks,

Nina

we didnt have a credit card with PIN,,or debit card that would work in the ATM s there...

Do check ahead of time with your CC company and let them know where you ll travel so they won t block card.Then find out if it has proper pin,,,4 digits,,not starting with 0.Need it with chip for europe,,if possible.

I finally got it straighted out,,but do it FIRST>>;)

We will be taking a Norwegian cruise, leaving from Amsterdam, so there will be no handy airport ATM situation to get cash. Our first port will be Leknes- does anyone know if there is an ATM close to the pier? I imagine that Celebrity's exchange rate isn't going to be terrible good for NOK? I assume we will need cash for small purchases and I doubt that Euros are accepted in Norway? Thanks, Nina

You will love the Lofoten Islands, if you "get out there" and explore. Think about your options there. Alexandra has given some excellent advice on checking with your credit card company, in advance. You will find in Norway that most places accept credit cards. You might need some of the local currency, but maybe not as much as you think and assume. We didn't have any problems with our credit card, nor need a pin code, BUT, yes, check in advance. Also, sadly, be prepared for high local costs for food, shopping, etc. Things are nice in Norway, but, NOT CHEAP! Sorry!!

What do you plan to do in the super scenic Lofoten Island? We had two different days/stops there going up to and back from the North Cape. Lucky us!!!

We lined up, in advance, a rental car, drove to the southern most point along the super scenic A10 highway. Easy and wonderful. See more below with some of my pictures, plus you can see more details and visuals from my live/blog connected below for these islands, plus many other stops and key cities along the Norway Coast.

Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any added questions. The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 67,336 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 75,607 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

An historic seaport and cod fishing center is Nusfjord a few miles east of the main south-bound road in the Lofoten Islands. Here is one of its buildings. This is a very interest location, sharing the early fishing and history here. Worth a stop!!:

LofotenNusfjordBldg.jpg

We went to the end of the road in the Lofoten Islands along the scenic Norway Coast. This is a charming village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. Simple name for a charming fishing town! We had box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock. This was our view with the busy and noisy birds.:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

And in the other direction while in the village called "A", here is another dramatic view for the nature overlooking this harbor.:

LototenHighMountRock-1.jpg

More rocks and dramatic scenery in the Lofoten Islands when we did our DIY drive south and then back on the Lofoten Islands. Nice?:

LofotenBeachYellowFlowers.jpg

Here are some of the many wooden racks for fish drying on these islands that we checked out during our drive south.:

LofotenFishDrying.jpg

Near the main E10 roadway in the southern part of the Lofoten Island is this historic Flakstad Kirke church that was built in 1780. It has a Russian design/look as certain of its materials were donated by those from that country.:

LofotenRedChurch.jpg

We will be taking a Norwegian cruise, leaving from Amsterdam, so there will be no handy airport ATM situation to get cash. Our first port will be Leknes- does anyone know if there is an ATM close to the pier?

I imagine that Celebrity's exchange rate isn't going to be terrible good for NOK? I assume we will need cash for small purchases and I doubt that Euros are accepted in Norway?

Thanks,

Nina

The pier at Leknes is not particularly close to town. It's about 3.5 km into town, and I don't recall seeing an ATM at the port.

If you're renting a car and exploring on your own, you can probably find a bank in Leknes, but if you're on a ship's excursion you would leave right from the pier. However, if you are on a ship's tour, you're likely to visit tourist-friendly destinations that are more likely to accept cards. Norwegians use bank cards to buy just about anything, and at tourist sights they can usually accept foreign cards.

Archived