Soldotna - favorite places?

WalleyeLJ

We are spending a week on the Kenai before our cruise, with one day in Soldotna doing a bear viewing trip to Wolverine Creek. Would love some suggestions for good places to eat or visit in and around Soldotna. We'll be coming in from Homer, and headed out to Seward. We'll probably have a couple hours before the flightseeing trip (11:30-5pm) and a couple afterwards. Thanks!

L.J.

Soldotna is a crossroads more than a destination. During fishing season its population jumps by 50,000 or so. Along the main road there is a shopping mall just before you get to Fred Meyers (if you are coming from the south). There is a chinese food restaurant in there we like.

Fred Meyer and the Safeway have the best gas prices in the area.

But keep in mind that, for most people, it is a place for people trying to get to other places.

We are spending a week on the Kenai before our cruise, with one day in Soldotna doing a bear viewing trip to Wolverine Creek. Would love some suggestions for good places to eat or visit in and around Soldotna. We'll be coming in from Homer, and headed out to Seward. We'll probably have a couple hours before the flightseeing trip (11:30-5pm) and a couple afterwards. Thanks!

L.J.

Saw you were spending a week on the Kenai penisula - suggestions in the Seward area is to see the Exit Glacier, the Sea Life Center and if you are interested in fishing or getting a charter boat for sightseeing, I recommend "Gone Again Charters" - run by locals out of Seward. One of the things I remember about Soldotna is going to the Harley Davidson place and buying a shirt for a relative - she obviously didn't have a shirt from there and many don't

http://www.goneagaincharters.com/

If you happen to be there on the weekend, check out Hobo Jim. He generally plays in Soldotna almost every weekend. He is truly an Alaska legend and puts on one heck of a show. Here's one of his most famous songs-most schoolchildren learn it.

If you want to see moose (almost guaranteed), take a drive East on Redoubt Rd (the south side of Fred Meyer's) either dawn or dusk. The moose are just thick down there-we stay at Pete's (a fishing lodge almost the end of the road) for DH to go fishing and I have never failed to see moose morning and night every single day. Couple of public access areas down that road to get to the river also. http://www.petesfishing.com/cabins.htm

Enjoy!!! Though I am very, very partial to Homer (one of my two favorite places in the world), I have spent quite a bit of time in Soldotna as well.

If you happen to be there on the weekend, check out Hobo Jim. He generally plays in Soldotna almost every weekend. He is truly an Alaska legend and puts on one heck of a show. Here's one of his most famous songs-most schoolchildren learn it.

If you want to see moose (almost guaranteed), take a drive East on Redoubt Rd (the south side of Fred Meyer's) either dawn or dusk. The moose are just thick down there-we stay at Pete's (a fishing lodge almost the end of the road) for DH to go fishing and I have never failed to see moose morning and night every single day. Couple of public access areas down that road to get to the river also. http://www.petesfishing.com/cabins.htm

Enjoy!!! Though I am very, very partial to Homer (one of my two favorite places in the world), I have spent quite a bit of time in Soldotna as well.

Thanks for the tips! We're staying in Homer for three days before, and in Seward three days afterwards. We won't have a lot of time in Soldotna, that's why we want to make the most of our time there!

L.J.

Hobo usually plays at night but if you get a chance to see him....he is amazing...and so are the stories he sings.....He is a wonderful guy....and the dogs in the Iditarod and the Quest are wonderful dogs....and I have 12 of them in my backyard.....:)

Thanks for the tips! We're staying in Homer for three days before, and in Seward three days afterwards. We won't have a lot of time in Soldotna, that's why we want to make the most of our time there!

L.J.

You may want to rethink your plan slightly. If your bear viewing trip ends at 5PM and you were going to grab a bite to eat and THEN drive to Seward, I would not.

An old timer told me the stretch of road between Soldotna and the cutoff to Seward has more moose hit by cars/trucks than any other stretch of road in Alaska. Don't know how true it is but I certainly have no reason to doubt him. And it is particularly bad around dawn and dusk.

You DON'T want to hit a moose. If it was me, I would spend the night in Soldotna and drive to Seward the next morning. You have three days scheduled in Seward. Don't know what you plan on doing for three days in Seward. I know I couldn't find enough to do for three days.

And if you want to fish, depending on when you are going to be there, Soldotna provides world class fishing.

An old timer told me the stretch of road between Soldotna and the cutoff to Seward has more moose hit by cars/trucks than any other stretch of road in Alaska. Don't know how true it is but I certainly have no reason to doubt him. And it is particularly bad around dawn and dusk.

And if you want to fish, depending on when you are going to be there, Soldotna provides world class fishing.

According to the OP's signature, it appears they'll be in Soldotna around July 10 give or take a few days. The sunset will occur about 11:30 pm, with twilight lasting until 1 am, so it's not like they'll be driving in the dark. Evening is our favorite time to drive in the summer...less traffic on the road and more chance of seeing animals (but plenty of light so you don't have to hit them to see them).

I'd bet that the stretch of road the old-timer was talking about is the old burn area from Sterling until you start to head up into the mountains. Since the moose browse has all grown up, the moose aren't as prevalent on the highway as they once were.

Also keep in mind that the road between Soldotna and Seward is not a super highway. The speed limit in most places is 55, with several small towns along the way where is drops to 40 and even 35.

It is a pleasant leisurely drive. If the OP takes his time it will be nice-and like the mytime said, it won;t be in the dark.

As for moose, it's my experience that you see a lot more of them in the morning than in the evening.

Also keep in mind that the road between Soldotna and Seward is not a super highway. The speed limit in most places is 55, with several small towns along the way where is drops to 40 and even 35.

It is a pleasant leisurely drive. If the OP takes his time it will be nice-and like the mytime said, it won;t be in the dark.

As for moose, it's my experience that you see a lot more of them in the morning than in the evening.

We won't be in any rush. I am a photographer, so we'll probably need to make sure we aren't the ones slowing everyone down and causing a backup as I stop frequently to take photos:). We also want to get to Seward in time to check in at a reasonable hour so we don't keep our hosts up too late either.

L.J.

Archived