The Suite Life: What Does The Butler Do?

curtdesilets

We LOVED our Butler on our Connie cruise 7 years ago. As our bags were already at our cabin when we got there, I had them unpacked before ever meeting our butler. We'll be in a suite again next year and I'll probably still unpack my own stuff - I'm just weird like that.

Our Butler did get my hubby a tux when DH realized he forgot his suit pants in Atlanta as we were at sea between San Juan and Barbados! Theo (our butler) was so upset when he couldn't get DH the perfect sized coat - not his fault as the selection onboard is very limited. Theo also would give us the "low down" on the good/bad appetizers with the tea service and even if we weren't in the room, he would leave some of the good choices for us to nosh on as we got ready for dinner each evening.

Theo also brought us our breakfast every morning and would set it up on the balcony for us. As he did that he would give us ideas of what to see/do while we were in each port. That was really a lifesaver since 2 of our excursions got cancelled! Per Theo, we didn't get off the ship in the Dominican Republic (not much to do within walking distance of the ship at that time), but we did take a couple of his suggestions for when we were walking around Antigua.

We were so undemanding. We didn't really know what to expect or what to really ask for and will probably be the same way next year too (although a bar setup might be something we consider). That's just us. We did tip extra at the end of the cruise and Theo was genuinely surprised at the extra. We felt he went above and beyond, but he felt like he was just doing his job. He really was a sweetheart! I'd love to have him on our Millie cruise next year, but I'm sure the odds of that are about a zillion to one!

Theo also would give us the "low down" on the good/bad appetizers with the tea service and even if we weren't in the room, he would leave some of the good choices for us to nosh on as we got ready for dinner each evening.

Great and very helpful details, tips. Have saved to my file for our Solstice Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland, NZ cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If you're there, what's the purpose of the Butler unpacking for you?

Personally, I would do my own unpacking, even with a Butler. BUT, the option would be that you could be organizing some of other items at the desk area, in the bathroom, etc., while the Butler is doing main luggage. It does take a little time to "get organized" while settling in for your suite, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It's probably also a liability thing - if you are there "supervising", then the Butler can't be accused of stealing anything.

Well, you are not there when the stateroom attendant and assistant come in to do up your room? Of course your valuables/jewelry will be kept to yourself or in the safe.

Well, you are not there when the stateroom attendant and assistant come in to do up your room? Of course your valuables/jewelry will be kept to yourself or in the safe.

Its called CYA...Some things they can't avoid but they can lessen the chances of a problem..

Archived