Lonely Planet article - Five Foods to Avoid in Italy

lisiamc

I'll add one more thing -- about foods to look for (versus foods to avoid): anything seasonal. In good Italian restaurants they cook with the seasons. Go with the specials whenever you can -- they are likely to be made with whatever is fresh and in season. When I was just in Italy, it was artichoke season (yummy); in several places there were special dishes featuring artichokes that were just delicious.

When I was just in Italy, it was artichoke season (yummy); in several places there were special dishes featuring artichokes that were just delicious.
Artichokes (especially prepared a la Romana) and blood oranges are two the reasons I love to go to Italy in the winter.

I have lived as an ex-pat in Italy for many years... Here are a few other things to consider when ordering;

Pepperoni in Italy is red peppers NOT the meat... What we call Pepperoni is Salami Piccante (spicy salami)

Fish is served generally whole with head and tail unless it states "fillet"... in which case, you probably do not want to order it as most Italians do not trust that fillets are fresh (they want to see the fish they are eating) but a nice restaurant will bring the whole fish to the table and fillet it cooked tableside.

Homeade gelato will have the name "Artiginale" posted in the shop... They cannot put that if it not homeade

No matter how tempting not to waste NO DOGGIE BAGS...

It's OK to order just a primi and pasta, or pasta and main course and you can order one first, then see if you are still hungry and order a main course after the pasta etc... you do not have to order everything together.

Seafood dishes made with frozen seafood have to have an ***'s next to it with the indication that this product may be from frozen. Know what is in season and ask if it is fresh or frozen.

House wine is served in carafe and is usually very good. Soda costs generally as much as a beer or house wine.

A shot of liquor (Limoncello, Ameretto or Grappa) DOES help with digestion (and yes they are obsessed with it!)

Look for locals and dont go to early as trattorias and restaurants really hit their stride after 8 PM.

Archived