Would You Sail the Titanic II?

MrPete

... Would you sail on this?

Sure would. I figure it would have over-the-top safety features.

A rivet-to-rivet replica would never meet SOLAS standards. But in 1998 Popular Mechanics outlined the engineering feasibility for a replica Titanic after consulting with the Webb Institute. (They teach one academic program - a dual major in naval architecture and marine engineering.) Most of the changes would appear below the water line:

• Welded, not riveted, hull
  • Bulbous bow for greater fuel efficiency
  • Enlarged rudder and bow thrusters for increased maneuverability
  • Horizontal stabilizers
  • Diesel electric generation and propulsion would free up the cavernous space used by Titanic’s 159 coal furnaces and 29 boilers
  • Vacated space could be used for waste processing, water treatment, and air conditioning.
  • Extra funnels not needed for diesel generator exhaust would be dummy funnels.

The economic feasibility was more uncertain. The engineering challenges would drive the construction costs to approximately twice the cost of a modern cruise ship. A look-alike Titanic would also lack the ammenity passengers demand today - balcony staterooms. Loyal passengers loved QE2 but her lack of balcony staterooms turned off a lot of new cruisers.

Depends on how authentic it is. But...If it had the same number of pax then it might not be economic after the initial interest wears off. The woodwork would cost so much to recreate. There would be no, or few, balconies. If built to N Atlantic liner specs that would be wasted cruising where the market is now. There likely isn't a market for another Queen Mary 2 at the moment.

If it is going to be an exact replica then it will not have enough lifeboats so my answer is "No Way, Jose!"

Can't they leave well enough alone! Dumb idea.

If this billionaire has so much money that he can't come up with a better idea - he could certainly spread a little this way.

If it is going to be an exact replica then it will not have enough lifeboats so my answer is "No Way, Jose!"

Can't they leave well enough alone! Dumb idea.

If this billionaire has so much money that he can't come up with a better idea - he could certainly spread a little this way.

actually, it should. there was space for a second row of lifeboats. they just thought there was no need for them.

i think it was rose who said it.

I highly doubt they would try to create an exact replica. My guess is that most of the cabins would be modern-type cabins in terms of size and amenities with some effort made to create an old-timey feel. You couldn't get people to pay what this liner would cost to stay in realistic replicas of either steerage or second class cabins.The exterior would probably resemble the Titanic.

Bottom line is that once you get past the curiosity factor (which will probably take a few months), most people won't want to travel on a ship that has such ghoulish overtones. Especially if it doesn't have things like balconies, swimming pools and other things they've grown used to.

I'd do it...It's OBVIOUSLY going to be "similar" but not a "replica" per sae.

It will have all modern "stuff". Probably AC too. It will have all the tech to look for "icebergs"...

I'd do it but they'd have to fly me there and make it cost effective to do so...I'm certian only celeberties will be the ones to afford the tickets.:eek:

I'm assuming this guy is planning to build a classic ocean liner without balconies, and with modern navigation and safety features. It may only be "Titanic-like" in decor and possibly the layout of public rooms.

Yes, I'd absolutely sail on it.

If it is a true replica of the namesake in all the passenger areas i would love to sail on the Titanic.

Obviously there will be some differences as no one in todays market would want to sail 3rd class. People might belittle Carnival, but who wants to sleep in a bunk bed near the engine room and have portage for dinner.

Yeah, but remember the movie?? The BEST PARTIES were happening down there!! :eek::D;)

I do believe it was the first ship to have a swimming pool. I am not sure I would want to swim in that... and in the North Atlantic? Ummm.. yeah... buuuuurrrrrr....

I wondered if the pool was outside. Kinda' hard for me to tell. I Googled it.

I think it was. It was heated.

The interesting thing to me was the fact that men and women had separate times for using it.

Archived