Small cheap binoculars

holdon216

Was wondering if there are any out there for around $20.00-25.00 that would be decent enough to use while on our balcony or on the beach? I could borrow a large set but i dont want to have to carry them around. Thanks

I'd say yes. We always take 2 pair. One better than the other, but both work fine for what you're talking about.

Was wondering if there are any out there for around $20.00-25.00 that would be decent enough to use while on our balcony or on the beach? I could borrow a large set but i dont want to have to carry them around. Thanks

I ordered two of these through the mail. We are really happy with them. Lightweight at Kohls

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/electronics1/emerson/PRD~698324/Emerson+Mini+Binoculars.jsp

I have a small pair that I carry got them at Bass Pro and they work really well, but I've been thinking lately that I would like to have a spotter scope...I'm going to start researching those.......

Just bought a Bushnell 7x 35mm Wide Angle Perma Focus Binocular for my kids who are too young to work the focus adjustment, these are fixed focus binoculars that are good if you are not near or far-sighted. $50.00 at amazon.com. Not a steal but pretty cheap compared to REAL binoculars. Also, they are not waterproof so the dampness may get into them on the ship.

Just my opinion but any binocs at the $20 - $25 range are worthless junk.

DON

I saw a $20 set at Walmart in the sporting good section yesterday.

I'm going to agree with the previous poster. Binoculars (or any optical instrument for that matter) are really one of those "you get what you pay for" things up to a point.

In my experience, small ones, even the really nice ones, just frustrate me. The small objective lens makes them unsatisfactory in all but ideal light conditions.

I used to use binoculars a lot, I had a wonderful Zeiss 20 x 56 set. I bought them secondhand about 30 years ago, paid ~$450. They were incredible, head and shoulders above any other set I have ever owned. Sold them 20 years ago for $600.

Buy the best pair you can afford, and IMHO ditch the compact idea and go for the largest objective lens you can get (you give up some edge distortion with the lower priced ones, but they will still outperform the compacts). Also in my experience, the extra weight helps me hold them steady.

I've found that the same rules apply to most optical equipment, spotting scopes and rifle scopes in particular.

Binocs are sold by magnification. A 7X50 means that it will magnify the object 7 times, the "50" is 50mm objective lens, the size of the lens farthest away from you (larger end). All things being equal, look for a larger "objective lens" when comparing binocs. The larger the objective lens, the more light can get in and make the picture clearer and also in lower light (dusk) conditions.

Variables come in 3-9, 7-21 etc. Around 7X + up is good for what you want. After that, look for lens coating etc. Dont be fooled into thinking that the $10 set from Billy Rays Gas-N-go will do just fine, unless you just want to focus a little on an object. You really shouldnt have to pay any more than $50 for a pair of cruise binocs.

Now that being said, call around to all of your local pawn shops and see if they have anything in stock. You may be very surprised to find a $400 pair of binocs for $150-$175. Pawn shops are like car dealers, they dont make money by stuff sitting on their shelves, they WILL deal if they think your going to walk out the door. (yes, there really is a difference above $125 in quality) But have a basic idea of what you want before going in, so you dont end up paying $40 for a $45 pair.

Also, hit your local sporting goods store, Dicks, Gander Mtn, Cabela's, Bass Pro shops etc and try out a few pairs. Impulse purchases of lower quality binocs is fine, but if you really want a good pair, do your homework and you wont have to pay a lot either.

Finally, do a search on Craigslist for binoculars. Why buy new when you can spend the same amount of money and get a better pair for the same $?

Try a pair of these. Good entry-level binoculars, I've used them in the past.

Leupold 6x30mm BX-1 Yosemite Binoculars

They can easily be had for $75 - $100 and will satisfy most occasional users.

I have no idea about all the technical mumbo-jumbo, but I have taken a compact, inexpensive pair of binoculars with me on my 4 cruises and they have worked fine. I use them off my balcony and while pulling into and out of ports. We are able to see ships passing, sea monsters (lol), moon and stars. I know I didn't pay more than $20 for them. I say, if you just want to see around the boat and shore, don't spend alot unless you are going to use them for other purposes. I think you will be fine with a minimal pair. Enjoy yourself, we love watching off our balcony. Take Care.

I'm going to agree with the previous poster. Binoculars (or any optical instrument for that matter) are really one of those "you get what you pay for" things up to a point.

In my experience, small ones, even the really nice ones, just frustrate me. The small objective lens makes them unsatisfactory in all but ideal light conditions.

I used to use binoculars a lot, I had a wonderful Zeiss 20 x 56 set. I bought them secondhand about 30 years ago, paid ~$450. They were incredible, head and shoulders above any other set I have ever owned. Sold them 20 years ago for $600.

Buy the best pair you can afford, and IMHO ditch the compact idea and go for the largest objective lens you can get (you give up some edge distortion with the lower priced ones, but they will still outperform the compacts). Also in my experience, the extra weight helps me hold them steady.

I've found that the same rules apply to most optical equipment, spotting scopes and rifle scopes in particular.

Something else to think of, too. If you like to sit on your balcony at night and do some star gazing, you'll be able to get a closer, clearer image of the stars (and planets) with a higher quality pair of binoculars than with a "cheapie" pair. :cool:

Archived