Sorry - another Travel Insurance Question!

odiesam

This will be our 9th cruise in less than 6 weeks - have NEVER purchased insurance. Since making final payment we found out my husband's mother's 82 yo husband (his stepfather), that his former "mild" cancer has spread and he may pass near the time of the cruise. They do not live close and his mother is also 82 and will need help after his passing.

I understand that we can buy the Carnival travel insurance up to 15 days before sailing(just talked to my PVP) . He claimed it would cover the stepfather's death even though it could be argued causes were "pre-existing" (which could be true for most 82 yos). Worse case he said we could get 75% Carnival cruise credit for future use. I don't want to pay for insurance to only get 75% credit though. Our flights are on Southwest and they are good about allowing you to change without penalty so not so worried about those.

What is everyone else's experience with this? Does this sound correct? Frankly I was surprised you can still buy it this late.

Most of my experience with insurance companies is they fight to pay claims!

Thanks!

This will be our 9th cruise in less than 6 weeks - have NEVER purchased insurance. Since making final payment we found out my husband's mother's 82 yo husband (his stepfather), that his former "mild" cancer has spread and he may pass near the time of the cruise. They do not live close and his mother is also 82 and will need help after his passing.

I understand that we can buy the Carnival travel insurance up to 15 days before sailing(just talked to my PVP) . He claimed it would cover the stepfather's death even though it could be argued causes were "pre-existing" (which could be true for most 82 yos). Worse case he said we could get 75% Carnival cruise credit for future use. I don't want to pay for insurance to only get 75% credit though. Our flights are on Southwest and they are good about allowing you to change without penalty so not so worried about those.

What is everyone else's experience with this? Does this sound correct? Frankly I was surprised you can still buy it this late.

Most of my experience with insurance companies is they fight to pay claims!

Thanks!

You can buy Carnival Policy up to 14 days before sailing. You can purchase 3rd party Policies pretty much up to day or so before sailaway.

IMO You want Cancellation Coverage specifically for illness or death of a relative (and to make sure "stepfather" is covered as a "relative"), in case you have to cancel before the cruise. You also want similar coverage for "Trip Interruption" in case you have to depart your trip to return home. I'd look at a Policy with 150% Trip Interruption Coverage.

I'd call the Insurance and specifically ask if their "pre-existing condition" exclusion only applies to the insured, or would also apply to a relative who becomes ill/dies, causing the insured to cancel/interrupt trip.

Some Policies use words like "unforseen death or illness" which could put you on shaky ground since your insuring very late and because of potential problems that you just became aware of.

You could call insuremytrip.com and ask them about these issues and what they'd recommend.

ken

I would never buy a policy offered by the cruiseline. It is not in their best interests to provide you with the most comprehensive insurance.

I would never rely on the oral assertions of anyone trying to sell me insurance (or anything else for that matter). If it's not in writing, it's not enforceable.

Most travel insurance policies must be purchased within 14 - 15 days of booking travel in order to provide a waiver of pre-existing conditions (for both the insured and the insured's "family members").

I, too, recommend that you look at policies on Insuremytravel and speak with a representative if you have any questions about the terms and definitions. However, remember, that the wording of the policy will over-ride any oral assertions made by a representative. So read the policy closely before buying.

Archived