In Naples During Planned Train Strike - What To Expect?

moviegal

Hi! I just found out there is a planned Trenitalia strike that will take place the day we are scheduled to dock in Naples! :mad: The planned strike is for 24 hours starting at 9 pm Saturday, May 12 and will "affect ticket offices and train crews," according to the website.

We were planning a DIY day by taking the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii and then on to Sorrento. Should we cancel those plans and make alternate arrangements while we still can? Or will the Circumvesuviana still be running or just mildly affected by the strike? Any advice will be appreciated and heeded!

You probably need to make backup plans. You never know when a Union will call for additional strikes or other Unions decide to join in. A big strike hit Italy March 14, 2012. Whatever you do, just don't miss the ship.

3/14/2012:

ROME, March 14 (UPI): Transit strike hobbles Italy

" -- Transit workers in Italy went on strike Wednesday, stopping train, bus and subway service for four hours to protest the government's economic reforms. The strike slowed or halted services in Rome, Milan and Naples, as thousands of transit workers walked off their jobs, ANSA reported Wednesday....

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2012/03/14/Transit-strike-hobbles-Italy/UPI-14881331751993/

You probably need to make backup plans. You never know when a Union will call for additional strikes or other Unions decide to join in. A big strike hit Italy March 14, 2012. Whatever you do, just don't miss the ship.

3/14/2012:

ROME, March 14 (UPI): Transit strike hobbles Italy

" -- Transit workers in Italy went on strike Wednesday, stopping train, bus and subway service for four hours to protest the government's economic reforms. The strike slowed or halted services in Rome, Milan and Naples, as thousands of transit workers walked off their jobs, ANSA reported Wednesday....

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2012/03/14/Transit-strike-hobbles-Italy/UPI-14881331751993/

Ah, it's our perennial ray of sunshine....:rolleyes:

The strike you reference was announced in advance, including what services would be striking for the scheduled four hours' duration. I cannot find any reference to anything suggesting that additional unions or transportation services joined the strike. If you have such information, please post it.

Of course, if you are going off on your own, you should always have a Plan B, even on the most perfect, sunny, strike-free day.

Thank you both for your advice, it is much appreciated! We do have a "Plan B" now but I was wondering if, with the planned / announced strike on the day we'll be in town, if we should just forgo attempting to do Naples on our own altogether. Our DIY plans would rely heavily on the Circumvesuviana train. Of course, if we get there and we get stuck due to a strike, we can roll with the punches and just not get to Pompeii.

An easy backup plan is the local taxi. There are set rates so you don't need to worry about a big surprise at the end.

You can download the set fare chart from the City of Naples's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665

As you'll see (page two of the pdf is in English) the taxi fare from Naples to Pompei and back, including a two hour stop at the ruins, is 90 Euro. That's a lot more than the train (but a whole lot less than a private car service), but it's a good fallback option.

Circumvesuviana is not run by Trenitalia; it is an independent line. So if the strike specifically affects Trenitalia, you should be fine.

We're planning to take the train from Rome to Naples pre-cruise using a La Frece (hope I spelled it right)--a French fast train.....So--my question is this---I'm guessing that it won't be affected if there is a strike? (We're going on June 30....Yes I know it's a little ways off...)

Thanks for any reassurrances.....

We're planning to take the train from Rome to Naples pre-cruise using a La Frece (hope I spelled it right)--a French fast train.....So--my question is this---I'm guessing that it won't be affected if there is a strike? (We're going on June 30....Yes I know it's a little ways off...)

I don't think you're on a French train in Italy ... only Trenitalia and a new Italian service called Italo (NTV) run trains on this line, as far as I know. The new high speed Trenitalia trains are known as Le Frecce, between Rome and Naples they use the Frecciarossa. Most of these trains would be impacted by a strike, although there are a few that are guaranteed even during a strike.

I don't think you're on a French train in Italy ... only Trenitalia and a new Italian service called Italo (NTV) run trains on this line, as far as I know. The new high speed Trenitalia trains are known as Le Frecce, between Rome and Naples they use the Frecciarossa. Most of these trains would be impacted by a strike, although there are a few that are guaranteed even during a strike.

Yes, thank you, those are the ones...

Archived