Couple questions about travel insurance

Finch85

Admittedly, I wasn't sure if I was going to even purchase travel insurance for our Alaskan trip until today. Definitely going to protect our large investment with a smaller one. :)

Our cruise is in mid August. Paid the initial deposit on Feb 1st and the final payment is due then end of May.

Questions

1. Since I'm outside that short time frame to buy the pre-existing condition waiver, does the pre-existing medical condition period of 60, 90 or 180 days still even apply? I assume its wise to find the plan with the shortest period, if it still applies. We're both 27 and in good health (I realize anything can happen) but this also applies to our parents, correct?

2. When I bought our airfare, I purchased the airfare trip protector. Was this unnecessary if I plan on buying travel insurance?

Questions

1. Since I'm outside that short time frame to buy the pre-existing condition waiver, does the pre-existing medical condition period of 60, 90 or 180 days still even apply? I assume its wise to find the plan with the shortest period, if it still applies. We're both 27 and in good health (I realize anything can happen) but this also applies to our parents, correct?

With some plans you can get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions up until the final payment on the cruise.

Yes, the 60/90/180 day "look back period" always applies. Yes, the shorter this period, generally the more consumer-friendly it is.

The pre-ex condition exclusion may or may not apply to non-traveling family members depending on the insurer.

Here's more info: http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/pre-ex.php

If you're thinking about using CSA to get the pre-ex waiver check here first:

http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/csa.php

2. When I bought our airfare, I purchased the airfare trip protector. Was this unnecessary if I plan on buying travel insurance? [/QOUTE]

At this point it won't matter since the plans that are still available to you that include pre-ex coverage (CSA, HTH) don't force you to insure 100% of the trip cost. Some of the plans that do cover pre-ex conditions if you buy within 14 days or so of your first payment on the cruise would have forced you to insure the airfare (again) along with the cruise to get the pre-ex coverage. So if you had chosen one of those plans not only would it have been unnecessary but it would also have been a waste of money.

Thank you for the links. I'm reading over the site now...a lot of great info!

Couple more questions.

1. Do I include the costs of all my excursions for the "trip cost"?

2. We're spending a few nights in Seattle prior to the cruise...do I include that as well?

You should include the shore excursions if they are pre-paid and non-refundable if you have to cancel them prior to departure.

You should include every day from the day you walk out your door until the day you return. Other than a generous maximum trip length designed to keep people from using trip insurance as health insurance, the dates you put in for your trip exist only to set coverage dates; they won't affect your premium.

Sirwired...thank you for the clarification.

I'm still a little confused about the whole pre-ex condition deal. I'm may be worrying about this for nothing. I also apologize if my question was already answered. :)

The quote below is a snippet from the CSA Deluxe policy. Their pre-existing period is 180 days. My question is:

1. Does the 180 day period still apply if the pre-ex condition is waived?

2. Also, which is best, another plan that has a shorter period (60 days instead of 180) but no pre-ex condition waiver or the 180 day with a pre-ex waiver?

WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24 hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your plan payment.

If you meet the requirements for a pre-ex waiver, the exclusion is completely gone. Once you have that waiver, it doesn't matter what the exclusion period is for policyholders that did not obtain that waiver.

If you do not have any new conditions in the last 180 days (or lookback period), or you are being treated for a condition that is stable (for example, high blood pressure), and your meds have not changed in the last 180 days, then you do not have a pre-existing condition. You would have nothing to worry about. You will get reimbursed for any treatment during your travel.

I purchased medical travel insurance within the required number of days post initial deposit in order to qualify for pre-existing condition coverage. Since the date I purchased that insurance, I had a small change in medication. The trip for which I purchased the insurance is more than 180 days from the date of my medication change.

Would I be covered for pre-existing condition should I become ill while traveling?

Thanks if you can help.

I purchased medical travel insurance within the required number of days post initial deposit in order to qualify for pre-existing condition coverage. Since the date I purchased that insurance, I had a small change in medication. The trip for which I purchased the insurance is more than 180 days from the date of my medication change.

Would I be covered for pre-existing condition should I become ill while traveling?

Thanks if you can help.

Every plan excludes coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. If you do what's needed to qualify for the plan's waiver of that exclusion then a claim can't be denied based on it being a pre-existing condition.

Just be very sure that you meet ALL of the requirement needed to get the waiver. For example, this is from Travel Guard:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

So if you meet all three requirements your claim might still be denied but it can never be denied due to the pre-existing condition exclusion.

Assuming that 180 days is the look back period in the plan you've chosen in the particular scenario you mention, even if you did not qualify for the waiver the claim would be paid because the change in meds would have occurred more than 180 days prior to the effective date of the medical coverage (the day you begin your trip).

More info here: http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/preex.php

Every plan excludes coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. If you do what's needed to qualify for the plan's waiver of that exclusion then a claim can't be denied based on it being a pre-existing condition.

Just be very sure that you meet ALL of the requirement needed to get the waiver. For example, this is from Travel Guard:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

So if you meet all three requirements your claim might still be denied but it can never be denied due to the pre-existing condition exclusion.

Assuming that 180 days is the look back period in the plan you've chosen in the particular scenario you mention, even if you did not qualify for the waiver the claim would be paid because the change in meds would have occurred more than 180 days prior to the effective date of the medical coverage (the day you begin your trip).

More info here: http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/preex.php

Thanks for your help.

Not all the conditions you list would apply as we do not insure the price of the trip. We only purchase medical travel insurance and evacuation/repatriation coverage. We self-insure the actual cost of our flights/cruise/hotels.

I purchased the insurance for us within the prescribed number of days after making our first deposit for the cruise to qualify for pre-existing coverage, we were and are still safe and approved by our doctors to travel but I had a small medication change. The change was made days after I wrote the insurance and our trip is more than 180 days from now.

I am confused if the medication change would disqualify me for the medical coverage for pre-existing condition though I met all the terms at the time I purchased the policy and am still safe to travel.

What could/would be reasons an insurer might disallow a claim for a pre-existing in the situation I presented?

I know this is policy specific but probably is a common situation that arises often.

Thanks if you can follow my scenario. :)

I appreciate your assistance.

What could/would be reasons an insurer might disallow a claim for a pre-existing in the situation I presented?

[/b]

Question: does the plan you're using require you to insure the full total of your trip costs in order to be eligible for their waiver of the pre-ex exclusion?

If it does, then by not insuring the trip cost you are not eligible for the waiver. In that case you have to look at two other parts of the plan wording. Let's use that same Travel Guard plan as an example.

First you have to find the plan's definition of a "pre-existing condition exclusion":

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which, within the 180 day period immediately preceding and including the Insured’s coverage effective date: (a) first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician; © required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines."

So now we know that they'll only look at your health history for the 180 day period prior to the coverage's effective date. And we also know that under © if there have been no changes in the meds taken for that condition in the 180 day period prior to the coverage effective date it's NOT a pre-ex condition.

Now you have to figure out what the medical coverage's effective date is:

"Effective Date: After any required Enrollment Form is completed, Trip Cancellation and Cancel For Any Reason coverage will be effective for an Insured at 12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the date following receipt by the Insurer or the Insurer’s authorized representative of any required plan cost.

All other coverages will begin on the later of:

(a)12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the scheduled Departure Date shown on the travel documents; or

(b)the date and time the Insured starts his/her Trip; provided any required plan cost has been paid."

So here we know that the medical coverage becomes effective when you start your trip.

So now let's say whatever condition you have flares up and you need to see the ship's doctor. The claims folks would ask your regular doctor the following questions:

1) Was this person receiving treatment for this condition in the 180 day period prior to leaving on the trip? Yes

2) Was this condition controlled solely through the taking of prescription medications? Yes

3) Was there any change in the prescription in that 180 day period prior to leaving on the trip?

If the answer to 3) is "yes" the claim would be denied under the pre-ex condition exclusion.

But if the answer to 3) is "no" then the claim could not be denied under the pre-ex exclusion. It doesn't meet the plan's definition of the pre-ex exclusion posted above.

Back to my initial question. If the plan you are using DOES NOT require you to insure the full amount of the trip cost in order to get the pre-ex waiver and you meet all of the other requirements of the waiver then all of the mumbo jumbo about effective dates and the 180 day look back period simply go away. The exclusion is waived -- it no longer exists.

Thank you so much.

The policy we always buy is sold specifically as medical/evacuation/repatriation. There is small incidental coverage for trip interruption/lost luggage and the like.

Each time I purchase this policy, the person with whom I am speaking always states pre-existing coverage may apply if (a) we are fit to travel at the time of purchase of the policy and the time we actually do travel and (b) have purchased the coverage within 30 days of first deposit for the trip. They never get into the 180 day look back or change of medication but I am sure those terms have to be incorporated. Those working the phones sell the policies but, of course, do not determine approval for claims.

I always discuss with them the fact we do not want any coverage for the actual cost of the trip and that is fine. They never ask the price of any of it as none of it would be covered.

Premiums for just purchasing travel medical and repat/evac are very low. It is the trip cancellation that makes for the higher premiums. We chose about 60+ cruises ago to self-insure and have been very fortunate to never have suffered a loss for cancelling after final payment when in penalty phase. We book higher end cabins thus the premium for cancellation is high based upon the cost of the trip. We chose to not pay all those premiums through the years and were fortunate it was a good choice for us. We well knew we could suffer a loss but were willing.

After the first 5 or 6 cruises, we were just about at the break even for not having paid premiums for those cruises. Now dozens of cruises later, we are very much ahead.

You are very kind to have taken the time and trouble to answer my specific questions and it is greatly appreciated.

As to would they pay....... I hope I never have to make a claim to find out. We are willing to lose the price of a cruise but, of course, medical bills could a very different thing.

Thank you again. :)

Thank you so much.

The policy we always buy is sold specifically as medical/evacuation/repatriation. There is small incidental coverage for trip interruption/lost luggage and the like.

Each time I purchase this policy, the person with whom I am speaking always states pre-existing coverage may apply if (a) we are fit to travel at the time of purchase of the policy and the time we actually do travel and (b) have purchased the coverage within 30 days of first deposit for the trip. They never get into the 180 day look back or change of medication but I am sure those terms have to be incorporated. Those working the phones sell the policies but, of course, do not determine approval for claims.

Call the company from whom you have purchased the policy and ask for a copy of it, either electronically or hard copy. That is the only way you will be able to determine what is or is not covered. What the person on the phone said is not binding on the insurer if it's not what's actually in the policy.

Every time I buy insurance, the company immediately sends me a link to the policy or an e-mailed copy of it, and I have a 10 day cancellation period to review it.

Does yours not do this?

They always e-mail me immediately with the coverage selection information/limits, confirmation number and receipt of payment.

It includes a web link and telephone number to call for 'Plan Documents'.

I will follow your suggestion to get the documents.

This is one of the major, well known, 'reliable' companies and I suspect their verbage is in line with most other major travel insurers. If my (probably very common) situation precludes pre-existing coverage for the particular condition I had the recent medication change, it probably would be a denial from all the insurers so in reality, there isn't much choice other than to hope if I should become ill while traveling, it won't be that condition.

I should have gotten the Plan Documents long ago and it was careless of me not to. I shall correct that immediately.

Once again, my thanks for your excellent assistance, Cruiseco and Dread Pirate.

Wishing you and All, Safe and Healthy Travel.......

If my (probably very common) situation precludes pre-existing coverage for the particular condition I had the recent medication change, it probably would be a denial from all the insurers so in reality, there isn't much choice other than to hope if I should become ill while traveling, it won't be that condition.

I'm not understanding your concern about this. If your plan has only these two requirements for their waiver of the pre-ex exclusion:

1) Buy your policy within 30 days of making the first payment on the trip, and

2) Be medically able to travel as of the date you bought your policy

and if you met those two requirements as it sounded like you did in a previous post:

"I purchased the insurance for us within the prescribed number of days after making our first deposit for the cruise to qualify for pre-existing coverage, . . . "

then even if your doctor changes your meds a dozen times including on the day before you leave for your cruise the insurer CANNOT decline a claim based on the pre-ex exclusion. That exclusion was waived. It no longer exists. To do so would put them in violation of their contract of coverage with you and leave them open to penalties or other sanctions from your state department of insurance. It won't happen.

I'm not understanding your concern about this. If your plan has only these two requirements for their waiver of the pre-ex exclusion:

1) Buy your policy within 30 days of making the first payment on the trip, and

2) Be medically able to travel as of the date you bought your policy

and if you met those two requirements as it sounded like you did in a previous post:

"I purchased the insurance for us within the prescribed number of days after making our first deposit for the cruise to qualify for pre-existing coverage, . . . "

then even if your doctor changes your meds a dozen times including on the day before you leave for your cruise the insurer CANNOT decline a claim based on the pre-ex exclusion. That exclusion was waived. It no longer exists. To do so would put them in violation of their contract of coverage with you and leave them open to penalties or other sanctions from your state department of insurance. It won't happen.

THAT was my 'hangup'.

I kept thinking, after reading posts above, that a change in my meds could be a reason for denial if I made a claim. I kept forgetting to reference the specific limitations my policy states and made it more complicated than it is.

The fog has cleared. :o

Archived