Just off Splendor...

4hunters

Probably the last time we will sail on her since she is moving to NY next year. :( At any rate, we had an excellent trip. I'll be happy to try to answer questions if anyone has any.

I have to sign off right now, but I have her booked twice. January to Hawaii and 2014 to the Caribbean when she comes to NY. (sorry) Any info you can share (tips) would be greatly appreciated. (already know that she looks like the Pepto Bismol Bottle..lol.

Thank you very much. Oh..what cabin or type cabin did you have?:)

I have to sign off right now, but I have her booked twice. January to Hawaii and 2014 to the Caribbean when she comes to NY. (sorry) Any info you can share (tips) would be greatly appreciated. (already know that she looks like the Pepto Bismol Bottle..lol.

Thank you very much. Oh..what cabin or type cabin did you have?:)

We had a balcony on upper deck. Yeah, she does have a pink hue to her highlighted by countless circles but the decor doesn't bother me like it does some folks. One tip I can give of the top of my head is when you first board and everyone is crowding the buffet for lunch, head up the stairs one deck from the first buffet off Lido and try the rotisserie. Most new passengers don't know about it and is basically deserted the first day. ;)

We had a balcony on upper deck. Yeah, she does have a pink hue to her highlighted by countless circles but the decor doesn't bother me like it does some folks. One tip I can give of the top of my head is when you first board and everyone is crowding the buffet for lunch, head up the stairs one deck from the first buffet off Lido and try the rotisserie. Most new passengers don't know about it and is basically deserted the first day. ;)

Do they have the fish and chip section up there also? (one of our favorites).

The aft ..deck 9 pool....is there smoking there?

Thank you again

Do they have the fish and chip section up there also? (one of our favorites).

The aft ..deck 9 pool....is there smoking there?

Thank you again

Sorry, Splendor doesn't have a fish and chips place. Smoking is indeed aft but one deck up from Lido on 10 (Panorama deck)

How was the MDR food? I have heard varying reports from lousy to good.

I'm not picky about about food and I thought the MDR food was good. Not great by any stretch, just good. I did have a very good, very tender filet mignon one evening. That was probably my favorite main course of the trip. I usually love the lobster, but the tail I got this trip was pretty tough.

How were the lines getting off the ship in Cabo? we have a private excursion that we are supposed to meet up for an hour after we dock on the first day. Is this going to be a problem? TIA

Probably the last time we will sail on her since she is moving to NY next year. :( At any rate, we had an excellent trip. I'll be happy to try to answer questions if anyone has any.

Welcome home!

Besides the Rotisserie, are there any other options for lunch on the first day?

How were the shows? Was there a not-to-miss show? Are the shows kid friendly?

How was the weather coming home on the last sea day? Just wondering if it was a rough, cool ride?

What did you do in Cabo? PV? Any tips for these ports?

Thanks!!

How were the lines getting off the ship in Cabo? we have a private excursion that we are supposed to meet up for an hour after we dock on the first day. Is this going to be a problem? TIA

It depends on which Cabo day you're talking about. Remember, Cabo is a tender port so getting off the ship and into Cabo is not a very speedy process. The first day, yes it does take awhile to get off the ship. Make sure you get in line early for the tender tickets if your excursion is on the first day. The second Cabo day the ship arrives around 7:00 am and since most people are sleeping there are virtually no lines to get off the ship.

Finally, remember that during this time of year that the time in Cabo will be one hour ahead of ship's time. Make sure you take that into account while planning your private excursion.

Welcome home!

Besides the Rotisserie, are there any other options for lunch on the first day?

How were the shows? Was there a not-to-miss show? Are the shows kid friendly?

How was the weather coming home on the last sea day? Just wondering if it was a rough, cool ride?

What did you do in Cabo? PV? Any tips for these ports?

Thanks!!

Thanks! For lunch the first day there is a full buffet, the pizza place, and the deli - basically all the food options are available except the MDR.

The last sea day coming home the water was actually quite rough, a lot rougher than our last cruise on her in November. It was also a bit chilly out, so much so that they closed the roof over the lido pool.

In Cabo we did a private excursion called A Day at The Island which was great. You board a very large boat/barge/pontoon, whatever it is. It has places to lay out, tables, comfy chairs, etc. The anchor very close to shore near Lovers Beach where you can snorkel, kayak, explore the beach, use their new water slide, etc. An open bar and food is included. I highly recommend this excursion. I've also done a snorkeling excursion with Pez Gato in the past. I also recommend their excursions.

In PV we went to the all inclusive resort directly next door to where the ship docks. It was only $35 per person and included everything. While the price was right, I thought the grounds and hotel were a bit underwhelming. I would not really recommend this hotel.

Forgot to address your question on the shows. If there is a not-to-miss show on the ship it has to be VROOM! Make sure you see it. It plays on the second to last sea day and features tons of great music, costumes, and stage sets.

I will be on it in Nov.HOW was the boarding exp?

We sailed Splendor last November and boarding was no problem. However, I usually get to port very early to get a zone 1 boarding pass. So if you don't mind the couple hour wait for boarding to begin, I recommend getting their around 9:00 am to snag that early zone card. ;)

Thanks for the details....made me think of one more question:

What was the water temperature like in Cabo and PV?

It was chilly when you first got in, but I got used to it very quickly. If I had to guess the actual water temp I would say it was somewhere between 75-78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks! For lunch the first day there is a full buffet, the pizza place, and the deli - basically all the food options are available except the MDR.

The last sea day coming home the water was actually quite rough, a lot rougher than our last cruise on her in November. It was also a bit chilly out, so much so that they closed the roof over the lido pool.

In Cabo we did a private excursion called A Day at The Island which was great. You board a very large boat/barge/pontoon, whatever it is. It has places to lay out, tables, comfy chairs, etc. The anchor very close to shore near Lovers Beach where you can snorkel, kayak, explore the beach, use their new water slide, etc. An open bar and food is included. I highly recommend this excursion. I've also done a snorkeling excursion with Pez Gato in the past. I also recommend their excursions.

In PV we went to the all inclusive resort directly next door to where the ship docks. It was only $35 per person and included everything. While the price was right, I thought the grounds and hotel were a bit underwhelming. I would not really recommend this hotel.

Forgot to address your question on the shows. If there is a not-to-miss show on the ship it has to be VROOM! Make sure you see it. It plays on the second to last sea day and features tons of great music, costumes, and stage sets.

We have been looking at La Isla every since a co-worker mentioned it to me. How was it? It looks kind of small, was there plenty of seating? Was it crowded? Thanks for taking the time to share your details:)

We have been looking at La Isla every since a co-worker mentioned it to me. How was it? It looks kind of small, was there plenty of seating? Was it crowded? Thanks for taking the time to share your details:)

Yeah, if they had a bunch of people packed on it it would feel small. However went we went there were only 15 or so people, not including the 3-man crew. It wasn't crowded at all - plenty of space. Plus you can wander around on the beach which makes even more deck space. I wish I would have asked them what the maximum number of people they take at a time was. I really hope you try it. I think you'll love it. ;)

Yeah, if they had a bunch of people packed on it it would feel small. However went we went there were only 15 or so people, not including the 3-man crew. It wasn't crowded at all - plenty of space. Plus you can wander around on the beach which makes even more deck space. I wish I would have asked them what the maximum number of people they take at a time was. I really hope you try it. I think you'll love it. ;)

I just booked it!! I like the fact that you will still have time to roam around town on your own once you're done. Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure and share my experience here when I get back:)

I just booked it!! I like the fact that you will still have time to roam around town on your own once you're done. Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure and share my experience here when I get back:)

Awesome! You'll have a blast!

So in nov is cabo 1off hour ahead? What about p.v. and im planning a tour with pez gato are they crowded and would u reccomend day 1 or 2 ? Thx for ur input its priceless

You're very welcome. Daylight savings will end November 4th this year. But since the port you're leaving from in Long Beach is also on DST, cabo will still be one hour ahead of ship time. To be sure, I recommend you do the Pez Gato excursion the second day since the ship gets into port so early (7:00 am ship time). Just make sure the excursion ends well before the ship is scheduled to depart. Another secret I can share is that the 2 hour Carnival-sponsored excursion is actually with Pez Gato. I did it last November. So if you're worried about times and don't mind spending a little more, look for the 2 hour Carnival snorkeling excursion.

BTW, great choice going with Pez Gato. Those guys are great! :)

Thanks!

Darn, now I'm torn again! I'd been torn between La Isla/Day at the Island & a Pez Gato snorkeling excursion...pretty much made up my mind to do the snorkeling, but after reading this, I'm undecided all over again! Out of the 2, which do you recommend for a family (and first-time cruisers)? My kids are 10 & 7. Thanks!

Darn, now I'm torn again! I'd been torn between La Isla/Day at the Island & a Pez Gato snorkeling excursion...pretty much made up my mind to do the snorkeling, but after reading this, I'm undecided all over again! Out of the 2, which do you recommend for a family (and first-time cruisers)? My kids are 10 & 7. Thanks!

I called to see how many guests they allow on La Isla and they said a Max of 36. In case that helps you decide;)

I would do the La Isla because you will be able to snorkel in the exact same spot that Pez Gato will take you to (Pelican Rock) plus you'll have all the other amenities La Isla has to offer.

Also just as an FYI, both Pez Gato and La Isla include a quick stop at Los Arcos (the famous arch at the very tip of Baja) for pictures. Make sure you take a picture of the seals which will be laying on the rocks near the arch! ;)

Archived