New Years on NCL?

Avril

Hi all!! :D I'm thinking about sailing with NCL for New Years (with my Mom) and I just have a few questions as it'll be our 1st cruise with NCL. First of all, how do people dress on New Years Eve (NYE)? Is it formal, casual or somewhere inbetween? Does NYE count as the "Dress Up or Not" night or is there still one of those later in the cruise? What kind of special things (if any) do they do onboard for NYE (special dinner in the MDR, big party on th pool deck, etc)? Does the length of cruise affect the average age onboard and/or the onboard atmosphere? We like a huge party atmosphere, especially on New Years cruises!!!! :D We're looking at the 9 day Caribbean on the Gem from New York or the 7 Day on the Epic from Miami. Will the 9 day be less of a party cruise or since it's NYE, will they be about the same? Also, for a 1st time NCL cruiser (but someone who has been on many cruises on other lines), which ship is better and why (Gem or Epic)? I'm sure I'll have more questions later but that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks so much!!!! :D :D

Was on the Gem this past new year. It was lovely.

People tend to dress up for the new year celebration. There was a formal count down and champagne was served and hats were given out if you were lucky enough to get one.

It was a fun time and naturally you can make your own celebration or join whatever is goin on that evening.

Enjoy!!

We were aboard the Gem NYE 2010. What a great and exciting atmosphere! There were parties all over the ship. The largest being poolside. There was a band playing and there were large ice scultures. Party hats, noise makers, streamers and champagne for all. The captain counted down to the new year on the ship's intercom. At midnite, he activated the ship's horn. There were passengers dressed to the nines in tuxes and gowns, passengers moderately dressed for the occasion and the usual freestyle resort casual type attire. The photographer was exceptionally busy, as well as the specialty restaurants on this particular night. The cruise itself is a very popular booking and books up fast even though it is an expensive time of the year to cruise. NCL and NYE make an awesome combination.

Thanks!! :D I love a huge party atmosphere (as well as dressing up on NYE) and the big party on the pool deck on NYE is always the best, it's good to hear NCL does that!! :D On HAL, the big party was in the ship's atrium, still fun but definatly not the same!! :( I really like the look of the Gem, pretty ship and the itinerary is interesting. The only thing that bothers me a bit is sailing from New York in the winter (with the possibility of snow and it'll be cold).

The other ship/cruise I'm looking at is the 7 Day from Miami on the Epic. Do things like Embarkation Port and Length of Cruise affect the party atmosphere (meaning would a 9 Day from New York be less of a party atmosphere/party cruise than a 7 Day from Miami)?

Thanks again!!!! :D

Two choices but you need to look at their itineraries.

Gem leaves NYC on 31 Dec so the NYE is on the first night - most likely to be held indoors.

Epic will be between St. Marteen and St. Thomas on NYE. More likely to be held all over the ship including outdoors. Mind you this cruise will be at FULL capacity. But what the h*ll it's FUN down in the Caribbean one NYE - also called as Old Year's Night in the Southern Carbbean ( I spent my teen years going there (from boarding school in UK) for Xmas time whilst my folks were living and working down there).

So, my bet is the Epic. MUCH warmer.

As for dress, we've been on multiple holiday cruises and have noticed that MOST people tend to dress up for both Xmas ans New Year - THEIR own choice.

Our first NCL cruise was the 12 day holiday cruise from NYC to Southern Caribbean on Spirit Dec 2006/Jan 2007 - it was really great for us (especially me) to spend Xmas and New Year down there again.

Hope this helps in choosing wich cruse.

Have fun, nonetheless.

P.S. our fave Xmas/New Year cruise was actually aboard the Hurtigruten's Finnmarken in Northern Norway (half of the time above the Arctic Circle). Why? The Norwegians do take Xmas and New Year very seriously so as a result we partied and drank soooomuch. The ship docked in one port for NYE and the locals in that port let off fireworks from their own homes (as a tradition) so we got impressive display at midnight!

Seems like most of your questions were answered, but as far as the average age is concerned, as a former member of the Youth Staff on NCL, I can tell you that they "kid count" (passengers under 18) sky rockets during the two weeks that school are out over x-mas/new years. On the Gem you can have close to 1,000 kids and on the Epic close to 2,000. The average age definitely drops significantly and the length of the cruise has no impact. It depends on the time of year and where the ship is located.

Archived