Carnival cruiser here, tell me all about Mariner OTS

Hey guys, I've been on 2 Carnival Cruises and I am thinking of trying RCCL on the Mariner OTS out of galveston. I know pretty much nothing out Royal Carribean.

So on Mariner OTS, tell me about the food, activities/events, shows, crew, cabin, ect.

The more I know the more likely I'll be likely to choose RCCL!

Hey neighbor Jake!

One thing my hubby likes about RCCL ships, the Royal Promenade. He likes that atmosphere and likes to people watch. I have been on Conquest several times, and liked the grills at the pool and such but I think RCCL has better entertainment. Lots to do. Been on Explorer of the seas, not impressed. Last year Oasis. LOVED IT!

So I hope this helps.

Kathie

Have you been on Carnivals new ship out of Galveston?

Below in my signature i also have a picture review of Mariner of the Seas, wonderful ship, great food, my wife and I would travel that ship again any time without hesitation. Check out my review if you like and let me know if you have questions.

There is a great thread on here called All Things Mariner of the Seas. If I weren't on my cell phone I'd post the link for you, but you can search for it.

I adore the Mariner! I have a review in my signature below. She's a great ship and she just got out of dry dock today! So there's lots of new improvements and such. Food was great, love the promenade for people watching, great staff, excellent entertainment. There's always something to do, that's for sure!

We're booked for March 3, 2013. Don't know when you're looking to go, but early March is a great time.

We have been on both Carnival and RCCL ships. Loved them all.

The Mariner is a sister ship to the Explorer of the seas, and we absolutely loved it. Go on everyone's favorite video site (not supposed to advertise the UTub site - lol), and search for videos of the Mariner. Lots to see and explore.

We are booked for a 7 night cruise out of Rome in September.

Just a question. We haven't been on RCCL in many years but are booked for later this month for a Med cruise.

In reading cc I've seen mention of show reservations being booked in advance online.......maybe I misunderstood. Do you have to have reservations for the shows? I can't find anything in my booking.

Thanks

You don't need reservations for the shows on Mariner. Just Oasis/Allure and some of the Freedom class ships.

For the ice show, they may distribute free tickets onboard - this is to disperse the crowd over 4 showtimes because the venue is kind of small. They are just entrance tickets, not seat-specific. However, you can go "standby" because at about 10 minute to go, they open up the show to everyone to fill the remaining seats.

I am much more impressed with the RCI voyager class ships than I ever was with Carnival. I like live music, and RCI has much better live music -- classical, salsa, country, middle-of-the-road, and more. RCI ship's band is 9 pieces; Carnival has cut down to 5 pieces. RCI pool band has 4; Carnival has 2 on my Conquest last May, and I have read Carnival is using pool DJ's now. Food -- I give Carnival a slight edge. I like the deli sandwiches, pizza, hamburger grill, and Mongolian grill. MDR was about equal. Buffet was slightly better on RCI. RCI Promenade Cafe on deck 5 is really good -- pre-made sandwiches, pizza, desserts, and Seattle's best coffee -- all no extra charge. The ice show alone makes RCI a winner for me. And the main shows too. Carnival has 2 lead singers in their "singers and dancers" shows; RCI has 4.

Carnival=Neon and RCI=Chandeliers. Try the Mariner of the Seas and you'll see what I mean. RCI voyager class has a WOW factor.

Note that the cabins are smaller. Conquest has large showers; Mariner OTS -- don't drop the soap or you'll have a hard time getting it -- at least in the standard cabins. Doesn't keep me from preferring RCI.

One more point. Compare the passenger capacity with tonnage. You'll find RCI has a better ratio. Mariner OTS is 138,000 tons and 3114 passengers. Carnival Magic is 130,000 tons and 3690 passengers -- less ship, more passengers. Carninval Conquest last May did seem more crowded to me than RCI, presumably because of the capacity/tonnage ratio.

You'll find lots of youtube videos for the Mariner of the Seas.

Definitely give the Mariner a chance, been on her twice as well as sister ships Navigator and Explorer. The main difference we found between Carnival and RCI is the ship design. It is so easy to get from point a to point b and the ship rarely feels crowded. On Carnival we always seemed to be waiting in line for something. On RC very few lines. There is so much to do the passengers are distributed nicely around the ship.

Archived