Weight Limit for bags on ship?

Hi All! Does anyone know if NCL has a weight limit on the bags/luggage brought on board? Thank you! :)

A check of the NCL.com Frequently Asked Questions shows:

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

Not sure how strict they are on that. I'm a minimalist type of traveler.

Not sure how strict they are on that. I'm a minimalist type of traveler.

I get the impression that it's more of a general guideline. Keeps the masses from bringing 10 100lb bags to the pier. The occasional person bringing an extra bag or a bag 10lbs over probably isn't an issue. Probably also helps to keep the ship reasonably balanced.

We have never seen any bags weighed. In fact, they take cases of water which have to weigh some where around 50 pounds. But you really don't want to over pack. Believe me, I know, I use to over pack and half the stuff you don't even use and it gets on your nerves during the week in a cabin. :D

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! My friend is going on their first cruise (to Bermuda) in a week and was concerned about there being a luggage weight limit. I've always been a very light packer so I wasn't sure. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it!

This was asked a few days ago, and the correct response is:

they do not enforce it.

Regulars here will tell you they have NEVER seen any posting about someone with a problem about this. NEVER.

Airlines are another story, and that varies by airline.

While I have never seen the luggage weighed, I think it's only fair to the poor guys who have to heft all those bags, to try and keep them to the limit that NCL suggests.

As someone else mentioned, I have learned to pack lighter and lighter with each cruise. Only because I've learned I don't need all those things that I thought I did when I started packing! In fact, the last 2 cruises DH and I shared one suitcase. (Plus I had a carry-on with cameras, laptop, etc.)

Have fun!

Archived