Keeping your possessions safe while on Shore Excursions

My husband and I plan to do some snorkeling on our own while in St. Thomas at Coki Beach. Is it safe to keep your S&S card with you (in a waterproof lanyard), while snorkeling or can you leave it on the beach. We will also have a beach bag and snorkel bag. Any suggestions as we will be on our own and have read some things about pick pockets??

When we were at Coki Beach two years ago they had lockers that they will rent you for something like $7 and give you the key. Now who knows if THEY have another key....hmmm. We had no problem, but kept out S&S cards and cash in those waterproof carriers you wear around your neck. I WOULD NOT LEAVE THEM ON THE BEACH! We each had one and stuffed the cash and cards in without a problem.

You might want to see if they offer lockers at the beach. I'm a solo cruiser, so I know it's scary to just leave your 'stuff' on the beach while snorkeling. However, I did this at Chankanaab Park on Cozumel, but there were a lot of Carnival guests sitting in the same area, so I just asked if they'd 'kinda keep an eye on' my things. (Lockers available, but I didn't want to have to use them.)

I hated leaving my camera(s), but I had seen these folks at dinner. Turned out really well, as one lady came down with my camcorder and filmed me snorkeling. Cool.:) The next time I was there, same thing...and a fellow passenger took a coupla shots of me with my digital. SUCH nice folks. Maybe you'll be lucky like I was.

Oh, and I DO wear my passport and S&S card around my neck in a waterproof thingy.

So were do y'all get those waterproof things? I have looked around hoping to find one. I'm leaving in 2 weeks woohoo!! and would love to be able to get them before I left. Thanks.

We snorkeled with a Splash Caddy from Magellans (obvious URL.) Kept wallet and Passports high and dry. We swam with Sign and Sail card in a zippered pocket. The water didn't seem to hurt them.

A lot of sporting good shops carry them. If you live near the shore they are EVERYWHERE they sell souvenirs. I also think I have seen them on the ship in the gift shop. Mine was a Nurses Day gift from the hospital where I work...spare no expenses for the Nurses! They probably cost $2. :rolleyes:

So were do y'all get those waterproof things? I have looked around hoping to find one. I'm leaving in 2 weeks woohoo!! and would love to be able to get them before I left. Thanks.

As another cruiser said, sporting goods stores are good places to find those things.

I bought my current one at a scuba diving shop. I tend to load mine with S&S card, driver's license, 1 credit card, and some cash.

I know, dumb question, but when snorkeling and diving, how do you keep the waterproof thing from floating off your neck? If you put it around your waist, doesn't it rub when swimming and diving?

I was wondering the same thing SCR.

I have never had a problem with people stealing. there are usually other guests around and although they dont know you...it's kinda still safety in numbers.

Archived