Knee Replacement?

Shatima

Mt DS had scoliosis surgery and he has a rod and screws in his back. they use titanium and has never had a problem with the old airport machines or any time on the cruise ships. Have never gone through the new airport scanners, and don't plan on it for him at least. He needs to go through the pat down due to issues other than his back surgery.

My DF has a pacemaker and cannot go through any of the electronic scanners. He carries a card and has to be patted down. The scanners can reset or erase the pacemaker's settings.

I had a hip replacement in 2011 at the age of 48. September will be my first cruise since the replacement; I haven't had to fly yet and for this cruise we will be driving to the port since it is only 2 hours away. I was wondering if there would be any issues going through security at the port. My doctor does not issue a card because like he said, in this day and age with the advancement in computers, anyone can come up with a card and say it is for "bionic parts" LOL! Which makes total sense. I think 20 years ago the cards were probably a good idea and sufficient but don't hold much credibility these days unfortunately.

I had a hip replacement in 2011 at the age of 48. September will be my first cruise since the replacement; I haven't had to fly yet and for this cruise we will be driving to the port since it is only 2 hours away. I was wondering if there would be any issues going through security at the port. My doctor does not issue a card because like he said, in this day and age with the advancement in computers, anyone can come up with a card and say it is for "bionic parts" LOL! Which makes total sense. I think 20 years ago the cards were probably a good idea and sufficient but don't hold much credibility these days unfortunately.

My DH had his hip done 2 years ago. Sometimes the scanners go off, sometimes they don't. It depends on how sensitive they are set. Paper cards are not useful. TSA agents don't even want to look at them. If he has to be searched, we are delayed by only a couple of minutes. It's really no big deal. The upside is he can walk pain-free again.

Poster --- dinggoguy---

It was the greatest gift I could have given myself ---- replaced in November of 2007 and by January 2008 -- I was taking "LATIN DANCING " LESSONS --- I have a great new life ---

How long did it take before you guys with the knee replacements could cruise again? How good are they?

I was back to work in 6 weeks-felt very good at 3-4 months and would have gone back to cruising then. Knee replacments give you back your life. I was 59 when I had both of mine, 3 months apart, and it was the best thing I ever did for my body!! If you have a weight issue, a good doctor will tell you if you should have it and the chance for it to take. I lost 30 pounds before mine, as they say, for every pound you take off takes 3-3 1/2 pounds of pressure off your knees.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived