I just KNOW I'm gonna get flamed ...

Sometimes after we have done things quite a few times, we forget what it was like "looking thur first timers glasses". Is it cheesy? Yes. But next time you take a first timer on a cruise, esp one who has not traveled much - just watch their face, not the show, when the waiters perform.

I won't flame you at all .. But, I will tell you just speaking for our family that the only time we get together as a family is around the dinner table on the cruise and the dinner and the 5 minute entertainment is one of my kids favorite parts of the cruise. WE tried NCL (no bash at all) we just personally didn't care for not having the personal experience with the same table staff each night and the little bit of entertainment everynight. Our two youngest were pre-teen on our first cruise and now are teenangers and they still will sit and wait (even if they are done eating) they will sit and wait each night to see our servers do their little song and dance. My daughter loves to get up and join them and usually all smiles the whole time. We have always had dinner as a family at home every night and usually our first week or two at home, as we are going through the cruise blues, our kids will proclaim "showtime" in one of the Matre d voices :) .

My favorite part is watching the passengers that do enjoy the show. Especially the kids. They are all smiles and always seem to be enjoying themselves. I also like how the waitstaff interact with the children.

If you went by Cruise Critic boards you would think it was torture being forced on the passengers but on every cruise I've been on there were more people clapping, singing, waving napkins than people sitting with sour pusses.

I would rather not have the dancing, honestly. If there's one thing I dread, it's being pulled out of my seat to dance publicly. And having them dance while I watch just brings up that fear... even if they don't ask anyone to join them.

I go along with it with a pleasant smile because other people seem to like it, but if the waiters are clearly not having fun, it's awkward for everyone. Very low, low, low, low (;)) on my worry list for cruising.

LOL....i know how u feel! Well i dont know if they stoped doing it now, but last summer we were on the Pride, it was our first cruise ever. We had ATD and had no idea that they danced during dinner, well they did grab my wife to dance with them, she of coursed enjoyed it, but she is a very good dancer.

I on the other hand am not as blessed in the fine art of dance, maybe if everyone was drunk i might get away with it! Anyway needless to say, for the rest of the cruise when we went for supper in the MDR i was not looking forward to that part of dinner, but they only did it twice during the week, or i just missed it, could do without it.

Is there anyone else out there who would rather not see the MDR waiters entertain every night? I'd rather sit and enjoy my tablemates' company than have to have the blasting music, etc. One time during the week would be fine, but it is too much every night.

I'm guessing it helps relieve the waiters' stress level to "let it all out," but I would much rather not have them trying to rush the dinner so they can be ready to entertain.

I agree 1000%.

Add another for "don't like it". By my 3rd Carnival sailing, I couldn't help but sympathize for the dancing waiters. While some may enjoy, it's painfully obvious a good portion of them don't and seemingly would rather do their job of maintaining their tables. By the last 3 Carny voyages, I walked out without having desert whenever they started flickering the lights.

My favorite part is watching the passengers that do enjoy the show. Especially the kids. They are all smiles and always seem to be enjoying themselves. I also like how the waitstaff interact with the children.

If you went by Cruise Critic boards you would think it was torture being forced on the passengers but on every cruise I've been on there were more people clapping, singing, waving napkins than people sitting with sour pusses.

exactly. none of my servers have ever given me an indication that they despised this. they're up, others are up, and it turns into quite a "flash mob". and they never have a hard time getting others to join them.

a sea of happy faces the whole time.

hot hot hot

Someone please pass the cheese plate so I can have some to go along with all the whine that's in here. ;)

DW and I love it and while I totally understand when people say they get anxiety over being asked to dance, it's as easy as saying "NO". I've had them ask me a couple of times on different sailings and after the first "no" I never get asked again. On the other hand my DW loves to dance and has no problem doing it in front of the entire dining room and since nothing in the world makes me happier than to see her happy, I love to watch her dance with the waiters.

As for the waiters not liking it? Nobody is forcing them to take or keep their job so if they are that unhappy with the dancing they should find another job. I will say that while I have seen a few that didn't seem that interested in dancing most of them do seem to like it.

I am on the minority here too. I enjoy the entertainment and really think the dancing staff enjoys it too. Been on two cruises. Was on a 7-day on Destiny in 2006 and had early seating. We did not have dancing on EVERY night. Probably every other night. Second time was on Magic last July on a 12-day late seating. We had dancing on 5 or 6 nights on the entire cruise and this particular one was made more enjoyable by Ken Byrne's awesome voice.

In general (which I can confirm from my own memories and from videos I took from most of the performances), only a few specific waiters do the dancing. Service is not fully interrupted by the show since I see in my videos waiters still carrying plates among the tables. Those that do the dancing really get into it and are cheered by the guests in the tables they serve. The entire staff (or at least most of them) only participates in the last night farewell "Leaving our Funship" song on the main stairs. Other than the last night, in my two cruises only once was the entire staff involved and it was on Destiny where they had that famous calypso song Hot Hot Hot and they made conga lines along the MDR with the guests. Most people enjoyed it. Aftet that performance they also had some salsa music (we were in the Caribbean with a large Puertorrican and hispanic population on-board) with many guests dancing and partying about.

About the timing, in both cruises (early and late seating) the shows came about the same time or after dessert was served so the disruption of our dinner experience was minimal. And usually we left immediately after or shortly after the performance for the theater anyway.

To each his own. Some people hate it, some love, some are indifferent. I personally like it.

Maitre 'd Ken is a singer and when he entertained it was fabulous! It really hold up dessert. Last night I enjoy it with the going away song.

I'm one who doesn't particularly enjoy the "entertainment" in the MDR, but must admit when Ken was the MD, it's a pretty good experience.

How Lowwwwwww Can You Go......:D

i was on the Fantasy last year and i don't remember if it was every night or not, but it never bothered me. Actually one night me and my friend got up and danced with the waiter after a few drinks before supper we didn't really care. And im sure we got talked about but who cares its vacation and we had a blast the waiter seemed to enjoy it also ;)

Archived