Trans-atlantic flight/feet swelling

LishaD

My feet always swell on a flight. The longer it is the more they swell. So I am about to go on my longest flight ever, and I am afraid of how bad it might get. Does anyone have tips about lessening the amount of swelling? Has anyone had the same problem and did your feet survive a trans-atlantic? What are the best shoes for this situation? We want to go sight seeing the first day.

Any help is appreciated,

LishaD

Have you tried the flight socks? They are very tight and help the blood to keep circulating, definately worth using. Also I use Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel, massage into feet and legs when you arrive and take socks off, it works wonders!!

Make sure you get up and walk - even if it just up and down the aisle a few times. On our Air France flight, they gave us a little packet with eye shades, ear plugs, towelette, and a pamphlet with exercises that you can do in your seat to help with cirulation. The easiest one is just pointing your foot down and then point up.

I bring a pair of slippers - those terry ballerina slippers - they slip so nicely in my travel purse.

I don't know about "flight socks', but you should wear socks or stockings with support or a little tight stretch to keep your circulation going well... also spend a lot of time moving your feet, rolling your ankles, etc. It really helps.

My longest flight to date was about 13 hours.

I actually kept losing ciruclation and kept getting that "pins and needles" a/k/a tingling effect in my legs, best thing to do sit in the aisle seat and get up often walk to the bathroom, etc...

Its important to keep up circulation, there is a risk you could develop clots if you dont if your flight is really long. (of course thats worse case scenerio)

Archived