5 emails today saying no deposit if booked by May 31st. What's going on?

my usual cruise agent said if there is no deposit, there is no booking. If an agency bought up space, they can't just hold it for you with no charge. Then why have I received 5 emails today saying no deposit?

The cruise I'm interested in is for January 2013. 5 nighter out of New Orleans to W Carib on Elation to Progresso and Cozumel.

Has anyone seen these, and possibly taken them up on this? I wonder if the deposit is due on June 1st, or how it works. Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. We are not allowed to name travel/cruise agencies on cruise critic, so I can't tell you the names.

I did notice that after you opened the emails some specified it was for Europe cruises, but the banners all said, "if you book by May 31, no deposit."

My cruise agent did call Carnival and they said there was no promotion going on for no deposit.

So our conclusion was that the offer was being made by the various travel agencies. So he called two of the agencies (I'd forwarded him my emails) and they said they, too, required a deposit for the cabin price I wanted, which was an early saver one. But apparently they gave him no further details.

my agent's agency would not ever do a no deposit. Said it would be $200 each for an early saver that was not refundable.

I have asked but have not heard back from him as to what is the lowest priced cabin I can get that IS refundable. Usually at least $100 more than the early saver fares, I know.

I don't like that non-refundable fare since my DH has changed his mind before, so I'd better wait until the last minute to book what ever I can get. We can drive to the port, so getting a hotel room the night before would be the only worry.

What I dont understand as a cruiser from outside USA is why would anyone book a cruise with a travel Agent when Travel Agent fares are not allowed to be cheaper than Carnivals bottom line price?

Everywhere else in the world a Travel Agent is used to book a cruise because they are so much cheaper than going via the cruse company because of block bookings by travel agents?????

Den

I think I might have figured it out. I just reread one of mine. It said they'd waiver "our booking deposit". I once had to pay a fee to book through an on line agency ($25 I think), I think this is what the so called "no deposit" means.

What I dont understand as a cruiser from outside USA is why would anyone book a cruise with a travel Agent when Travel Agent fares are not allowed to be cheaper than Carnivals bottom line price?

Den

outside agents can sweeten the pot so to speak. My agent gives me onboard credit or pays for my tips. She watches the prices and submit the price reduction forms for me.

Im sure that if my agent did none of the above I would probably deal direct.

Everywhere else in the world a Travel Agent is used to book a cruise because they are so much cheaper than going via the cruse company because of block bookings by travel agents?????

Den

Because for us, dealing with a PVP or booking online has been a PITA! Online only show a few available cabins. PVP that we dealt with knew less than I did about Carnival. She tried to tell me that the only thing I could book was a guarantee. When I told her I wanted a specific cabin, she ask why I would be stupid enough to pay more for a cabin if I didn't have to. I hung up. It's just easier for us to deal with a TA.

Den

I use only a TA and my prices are ALWAAYS lower than the cruiseline, between her cut in commission and her OBC and free trav insurance, i would never book directly w the cruiseline

Archived